PDA

View Full Version : What is Mercedes thinking?

chuck92103
01-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Got this off my stock news ticker this morning. :tsk:

FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--DaimlerChrysler AG (DCX) Thursday said its managementboard has named Wilfried Porth, previously president and chief executive ofMitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corp., as head of its Mercedes-Benz Vansdivision. The 46-year-old will take on his new job at the German-U.S. carmaker April 1,it said. Porth succeeds Rolf Bartke, who is retiring after 25 years in variousmanagement positions within the company. Company Web site: http://www.daimlerchrysler.com -By Christoph Rauwald, Dow Jones Newswires; +49 69 29 725 512;christoph.rauwald@dowjones.com (END) Dow Jones Newswires 01-19-06 1044ET Copyright (c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.10:44 011906</PRE>

LmtdSlip
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
:dunno:

avalys
01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
What's wrong with that?

The guy who used to run Mitsubishi Fuso, making trucks and buses, will now run the Mercedes-Benz van division, making vans.

Seems like a good fit to me.

chuck92103
01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Merc is already having a tough time, especillay after the Chrysler merger,

Now Chrysler is using their Mitsubishi partnership to influence Merc's direction.

That was my only point. Nothing against Mitsibishi, but gee whiz,

I smell the GM fiasco coming...

Buick>Chevy>Pontiac,

HGilmore
01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Merc is already having a tough time, especillay after the Chrysler merger,

Now Chrysler is using their Mitsubishi partnership to influence Merc's direction.

That was my only point. Nothing against Mitsibishi, but gee whiz,

I smell the GM fiasco coming...

Buick>Chevy>Pontiac,
Mitsubishi/Fuso truck unit is the only profitable part of Mitsubishi year after year. It makes sense that they bring him over.

chuck92103
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Mitsubishi/Fuso truck unit is the only profitable part of Mitsubishi year after year. It makes sense that they bring him over.

Now that makes sense. :thumbup:

avalys
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Why do you say that? Porth was with Mercedes-Benz for years before he went to head Mitsubishi-Fuso when Mitsubishi spun it off. He's just coming back home.

Even if that wasn't the case, I still don't understand what you're saying. What influence would Chrysler have over the ex-CEO of Mitsubishi Fuso (just because they used to own a stake in the company that the company he ran spun off from?), and even if they did have some influence, why would they want to alter the direction of Mercedes-Benz?

wwb4
01-19-2006, 04:24 PM

:stupid: ......I totally agree.