PDA

View Full Version : Paint question

big_stoo
01-19-2006, 02:49 PM
My car is soon going to have the bonnet resprayed due to some peeling lacquer. Does the whole bonnet have to be scrubbed down to bare metal, painted and then lacquered or can the original lacquer be removed (preserving the original paint underneath) and new lacquer sprayed on? Im asking this because im confused about what the bodyshop is telling me. Hope im making sense :dunno:

LA525iT
01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
My car is soon going to have the bonnet resprayed due to some peeling lacquer. Does the whole bonnet have to be scrubbed down to bare metal, painted and then lacquered or can the original lacquer be removed (preserving the original paint underneath) and new lacquer sprayed on? Im asking this because im confused about what the bodyshop is telling me. Hope im making sense :dunno:

I will translate for the Yanks. Bonnet = hood. But dont mention the hood, because that's what's over your head in the Queen's English.

WAM
01-19-2006, 04:29 PM
But dont mention the hood, because that's what's over your head in the Queen's English.

So is that the Navy 'head' or the one on your shoulders?

WAM
01-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Regarding, the paint, I would have thought it's difficult to remove just the clear coat whilst preserving the paint underneath. I suggest asking the body shop again.

big_stoo
01-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the help.

Yes, it does sound difficult. Anyone else have experience of this? I just want some info before I go there again next week. I hate looking clueless when it comes to these things.

Pinecone
01-20-2006, 06:03 AM
The actual color (or colour) coat is very thin, just enough to give it color. So it would be virtually impossible to remove the clear and not the color coats.

BTW the clear coat is not lacquer, but a polyurethane coating.