PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a 3 series

black19
01-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Ok, this is my first post and that being said this is probably going to be a typical first post. Here goes:

I recently lost/totalled my previous car in the flooding in Norcal around NYE. Now I am in the market for a car and have been looking at getting a used bmw for under 10k. I'm looking for something in the 95+ range M series or not but must be a 5-Sp. What would be a fair price for this range of cars, are there things I should keep an eye out for in particular with these cars that I wouldnt normally think of (this would be my first foray in to the land of bimmers so I dont know the typical things to look for), and is there any advice anyone could lend me to assist in my search?

Thanks in advance to all who help me out :)

hockeynut
01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Be aware that used BMWs require lots of love and attention, as well as money to keep 'em happy.

I would take that $10k, find a nice early 90's E30 (for around $7k) then use the rest for repairs/etc.

Bart001
01-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Jumping on the that-is-not-the-car-for-you-within-your-budget bandwagon because of the cost of likely repairs.

black19
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
So what you are saying is that there are known issues with these cars or that just in general, repairs are going to be costly?

cwsqbm
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
So what you are saying is that there are known issues with these cars or that just in general, repairs are going to be costly?

Repairs done at the dealer of any model older car tend to quickly exceed the value of the car.

black19
01-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I expect any repairs like that to be costly, but I'm assuming I can find a vehicle that is in pretty good shape and wont require a lot of maintenance right away.