PDA

View Full Version : Bad idea?

nobimmer317
01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm a huge bimmer fan and have been most of my life. I am only 19 and can not afford a BMW yet because I am still in college. I did however just purchase a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon and I was wondering if it were a bad idea if I bought OEM BMW rims to put on my car. I love the style of bimmer rims and want to bring some of that style to my very humble vehicle. I'd change the center caps don't worry. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm driving a bimmer. I just wanted to gage some of the forums feelings towards this. Thanks for your opinions. :thumbup: I'm thinking of something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-BMW-NEW-M3-WHEELS-18x8-RIMS-B15_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQitemZ8030388 538QQrdZ1

James
01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the 'Fest :wave:

Grats on the Tiburon. My neighbor has one and I have to say it's a pretty sweet looking car.

With the rims you might want to check bolt patterns and offsets. I'm not sure if they will even fit :(.

Bart001
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Without having done any research, I'd be surprised if those fit your Tiburon.

I don't think that any reader of this forum cares one way or another. You might get a few suggestions to save that money and put it towards your first Bimmer, however. Money is tight for you; you don't NEED those rims. Why not take that cash and open a new account with ING Direct or a local bank or wherever and make that your official First Bimmer savings account?

nobimmer317
01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
I checked the fitments and they do infact match. Its funny you mention the first Bimmer Account, I have one with ING :D I'm in the military and I get paid an extra 700 dollars a month because I'm in college and my college is paid for, so I do have some money to burn to make my car a lil more comfortable.

govtec
01-20-2006, 10:47 AM
i wouldn't do it if i were u. save that 700/month, somewhere down the road it's going to need some repair and it will be handy to have that available.

nobimmer317
01-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll be sure to stay active on the forums.

govtec
01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll be sure to stay active on the forums.

easy tiger, u have 3 more years till ur ready to make a big purchase.

nobimmer317
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
oh yea, about needing the money for repairs, not counting any accidents I may or may not have (god forbid) I have the wonderful 10 year/ 100,000 mile warranty on my car, that always helps :D BMW does have it beat though with the whole full service thing. Now combine them both and thats an incredible warranty. Too bad car companies have that whole thing about making a profit (lol).

Mini Art
01-20-2006, 12:11 PM
donot waste your money on wheels for a hyundai. take the money the military gives you for college and USE IT FOR THAT ONLY!!! as a current NCO for 15years, i tell my young soliders to save their money because someday you are really going to need it and won't have it because you spent it on some wheels that you don't really need. when you finish college and get commissioned, THEN treat yourself to that BMW you always wanted. BMW is not going anywhere.

nobimmer317
01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
My college is already paid for by a trust fund that my parents had for me, College isn't costing me a dime and I am eternally grateful to my parents for that. I'm gonna do what Bart001 said but I'll dump the 700/month into my bimmer account. I really don't want any of you to think I'm some bratty kid, I'm not I really am taking your suggestions and opinions to heart. This is an awesome community and I hope to contribute as much as I can

Artslinger
01-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Not sure about Hyundai, but BMW uses studs/bolts to mount the wheels to the hub. Most other cars the studs/lugs are on the hub and the wheel is mounted with lug nuts.

TLudwig
01-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Nobimmer317, I think you've gotten some good advice and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, so I won't throw in my two cents. I'll just wish you good luck and tell you that I know what it feels like to wait for that first car you've always dreamed of.

FYI, that ebay item stated that those were replica M3 wheels. Those are actually replicas of the Style 135's, which aren't stock on the M3.