PDA

View Full Version : steptronic to manuel?

benzwit20s
01-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if it would be possilbe to change my auto. steptronic to a manuel in the future? I saw a video of a M3 i think that was shifting and in the tach there are lights displayed to let you know when to shift, right? But that would also mean i wouldneed to get more then a manuel tranny if its even possilbe. Enlighten me

avalys
01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I was wondering if it would be possilbe to change my auto. steptronic to a manuel in the future? I saw a video of a M3 i think that was shifting and in the tach there are lights displayed to let you know when to shift, right? But that would also mean i wouldneed to get more then a manuel tranny if its even possilbe. Enlighten me
It is possible to put a manual transmission in an automatic transmission car. Someone who posts over at E46Fanatics.com has done it. I don't know how much it costs.

The shift lights are a different story, though. Retrofitting those would be difficult, if not almost impossible - the M3 has a higher redline than your 330Ci (8000 RPM vs. 6500), so they probably wouldn't light up at the correct time.

benzwit20s
01-20-2006, 05:48 PM
So a regular 330Ci that came with manuel doesnt have these lights?

SpeedFreak!
01-20-2006, 05:56 PM
So a regular 330Ci that came with manuel doesnt have these lights?

No... and installing the M3 gauges in the regular 330Ci would be impossible. Installing a manual in your car is perfectly doable... but at a rather significant cost. It might be wiser to sell your car and buy one with manual from the factory. I have looked into this extensively, and have decided that I will probably make several enhancements (including software for the trans) but will probably leave the auto... as much as I HATE the freakin' thing. :mad:

benzwit20s
01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
damn.....

Fast Bob
01-20-2006, 06:09 PM
"ManuEl" is a Mexican gentleman...."ManuAl" is a transmission.... :-)

Regards,
Bob

benzwit20s
01-20-2006, 06:15 PM
thankyou bob lol

Moderato
01-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Regards,
BobI thought the same thing. Who is Manuel and why is he getting a Steptronic transmission? :rofl:

ilkhan4
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
I saw a video of a M3 i think that was shifting and in the tach there are lights displayed to let you know when to shift, right?

FYI, the lights on the M3 tach are to tell you when you can rev to a certain RPM when the oil has warmed up a bit. It's to remind you not to rev it to 7800 rpm right after you start it ;)

Bart001
01-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Regards,
Bob

Are you trying to say that someone's grammer didn't teach them good grammar?

SpeedFreak!
01-20-2006, 07:51 PM
FYI, the lights on the M3 tach are to tell you when you can rev to a certain RPM when the oil has warmed up a bit. It's to remind you not to rev it to 7800 rpm right after you start it ;)

When activated (turned on)... those lights also act as a shift light racing from the red-line to the last light counterclockwise... flashing RED for SHIFT NOW DUMMY! :D

Artslinger
01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
"lights displayed to let you know when to shift"

I think that would be a SMG not a manual tranny.

EdCT
01-20-2006, 09:18 PM
I thought the same thing. Who is Manuel and why is he getting a Steptronic transmission? :rofl:

He's from Barcelona ;)

Ed

wwb4
01-20-2006, 09:19 PM
It might be wiser to sell your car and buy one with manual from the factory.

:stupid:

Malibubimmer
01-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Are you trying to say that someone's grammer didn't teach them good grammar?
Yours. Benzwits20s' challenge was spelling. Yours appears to be grammar. Here's your sentence, with its colloquialism, with proper grammar:
Are you trying to say that somneone's grammer didn't teach HIM good grammar?

Moderato
01-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Edit

SpeedFreak!
01-21-2006, 07:39 AM
"lights displayed to let you know when to shift"

I think that would be a SMG not a manual tranny.

If I'm not mistaken... it does that on both SMG and the regular manual.

Fast Bob
01-21-2006, 08:46 AM
He's from Barcelona ;)

Ed

Shades of Basil Fawlty.... (who drove a Mini :-)

Regards,
Bob

EdCT
01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Shades of Basil Fawlty.... (who drove a Mini :-)

Regards,
Bob

Bob,

Wasn't it the larger 1200 or 1600 Austin?

I'm remembering the classic stick-beating episode :D

Ed

benzwit20s
01-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know where i can buy a brand new manual transmission that would come with a stock 2006 330Ci? how much do you think the dealer would charge for a total auto to manual conversion?

Fast Bob
01-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Bob,

Wasn't it the larger 1200 or 1600 Austin?

I'm remembering the classic stick-beating episode :D

Ed
Maybe the Mini was Sybil`s?

Regards,
Bob

Fast Bob
01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know where i can buy a brand new manual transmission that would come with a stock 2006 330Ci? how much do you think the dealer would charge for a total auto to manual conversion?
I have a feeling that a brand-new trans would be prohibitively expensive.... you might want to compare prices of a low-mileage,"slightly-used" one from a salvage yard.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Clevenger
01-21-2006, 04:26 PM
If you can find a BMW dealer willing to do that swap it will probably cost you more than trading your car in on a new one with MT.

SteveinBelAir
01-21-2006, 04:42 PM
It was an Austin 1100.

http://www.tvheaven.ca/fawltytowers_3.jpg

Probably the best sit com of all time:

Basil Fawlty: Ah, Manuel? There is too much butter on those trays.
Manuel: Que?
Basil Fawlty: [speaking slowly] There is too much butter on those trays.
Manuel: Ah, no senor. No "on those trays"...
[counting the trays]
Manuel: "uno, dos, tres".

Fast Bob
01-21-2006, 05:24 PM
]

Definitely without equal...."The Germans Are Coming" episode is a killer....

Regards,
Bob

Malibubimmer
01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
It was an Austin 1100.

http://www.tvheaven.ca/fawltytowers_3.jpg

Basil Fawlty: Ah, Manuel? There is too much butter on those trays.
Manuel: Que?
Basil Fawlty: [speaking slowly] There is too much butter on those trays.
Manuel: Ah, no senor. No "on those trays"...
[counting the trays]
Manuel: "uno, dos, tres".
:dunno: The Benny Hill School of Humor. (Or Hyacinth Bcuket - excuse me, Bouquet.) As Winston Churchill said, "Americans and Brits are two people divided by a common language." He might have added, "and a different sense of humour."

SpeedFreak!
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM

Actually... I was quite surprised. If I remember correctly, a new manual trans for a E46 ZHP was around $1500. There was more to it then just the box... I think the total was around $2500 for parts.

If I can remember on Monday, I'll ask the parts guys. :thumbup:

MMME30W
01-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Definitely without equal...."The Germans Are Coming" episode is a killer....

Regards,
Bob

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!! :rofl:

SteveinBelAir
01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Benny Hill sucked and that's why he became more popular here in the US. Personally I never got it. I guess a bit of T and A on US TV got ratings. Beats me.

'Keeping up Appearances' is traditional UK blah - the stuff my elderly mother watches. There are much better shows but NPR and BBC America puts on what it thinks middle America will find amusing.

Try any of the Blackadder series, Bottom, The Young Ones, Mr Bean, The Office (UK version) etc.

Anecdotally, Fawlty Towers is widely regarded as the best sitcom ever (by US and UK fans) and it probably was. Fawlty was pure genius and only 12 episodes were ever made. Each one is a classic. Like taking the 12 best Seinfelds and compressing them into one (US) season.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072500/usercomments

Fast Bob
01-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Benny Hill sucked and that's why he became more popular here in the US. Personally I never got it. I guess a bit of T and A on US TV got ratings. Beats me.

'Keeping up Appearances' is traditional UK blah - the stuff my elderly mother watches. There are much better shows but NPR and BBC America puts on what it thinks middle America will find amusing.

Try any of the Blackadder series, Bottom, The Young Ones, Mr Bean, The Office (UK version) etc.

Anecdotally, Fawlty Towers is widely regarded as the best sitcom ever (by US and UK fans) and it probably was. Fawlty was pure genius and only 12 episodes were ever made. Each one is a classic. Like taking the 12 best Seinfelds and compressing them into one (US) season.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072500/usercomments
Just about anything with Rowan Atkinson gets my attention.... "Are You Being Served" is also a fave of mine ("Red Dwarf", as well). BTW, I read an interview (*years* ago) w/John Cleese, where he revealed that "Fawlty Towers" was the most difficult show he ever attempted, there was always so much going on, the pace was absolutely frantic.
Long live The Rutles....(but that`s *another* story :-)

Regards,
Bob

andy_thomas
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
:dunno: The Benny Hill School of Humor. (Or Hyacinth Bcuket - excuse me, Bouquet.) As Winston Churchill said, "Americans and Brits are two people divided by a common language." He might have added, "and a different sense of humour."
He should know - he was half of each :)

Did Manuel learn English from a book, by any chance?

RaceTripper
01-22-2006, 01:58 PM
FYI, the lights on the M3 tach are to tell you when you can rev to a certain RPM when the oil has warmed up a bit. It's to remind you not to rev it to 7800 rpm right after you start it ;) There seems to be a bit of confusion about the M3 tach lights. This is correct, but so is the other statement (but for SMG).

(1) When you start the car, there are yellow lights turned on in the tach from about 4500 RPM to 6500 RPM. As the engine (oil) heats up, the lights go off starting at lower revs to let you know it's safe to rev higher, until the car is fully warmed up and you can rev to redline at 8K RPM.

(2) On M3s with SMGII, the lights serve a second purpose. When get the revs up to about 6K RPM (maybe it's higher, 7K RPM or so), the yellow lights start to come on in reverse order (from high RPM to low) with a red light at 12 O'Clock on the tach. It's kind of like an input level meter on a stereo cassette recorder. When that red one lights you upshift to the next gear. This all happens very quickly. The idea is to indicate the optimal shift points for high performance driving. This is on the SMGII only, and not on the standard 6-sp manual.

SteveinBelAir
01-22-2006, 02:45 PM
He should know - he was half of each :)

Did Manuel learn English from a book, by any chance?

I speak English veery weell. I learn it from a book. :)

Fast Bob
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I speak English veery weell. I learn it from a book. :)
"Remarkable animal, Fawlty....Japanese, is it???"

EdCT
01-22-2006, 05:57 PM
"Remarkable animal, Fawlty....Japanese, is it???"

"Manuel, this fork, this knife, this hit on head" :D :rofl:

Malibubimmer
01-22-2006, 07:25 PM
He should know - he was half [American and British] of each :)
Not really. While his Mother was an Amurrican, he was born in Old Blighty, lived there his whole life, went to public schools there, and was a proper English gentleman. Never living in the Colonies, he never developed our sensibilities (thank goodness), nor adopted our accents (ditto).

andy_thomas
01-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Not really. While his Mother was an Amurrican, he was born in Old Blighty, lived there his whole life, went to public schools there, and was a proper English gentleman. Never living in the Colonies, he never developed our sensibilities (thank goodness), nor adopted our accents (ditto).
Well you're always going to end up being one or the other, aren't you, unless you constantly shuttled back and forth across the pond. It's unclear whether Churchill's semi-USian parentage contributed to his strong atlanticist outlook and the ease he felt in the company of Americans (compared to most of his politician peers and pretty much the whole of the general public at the time), but it's a fair bet it had something to do with it :)

BTW, and this is very off-topic, but Martin Gilbert wrote one of his biographies of Churchill concentrating on his ancestry and attitude to US-UK relations. I haven't read it, but Gilbert was responsible for the official 1960s biography of Churchill in consultation with Churchill's son, Randolph. I've skimmed it, and it's clearly a great piece of work, though some of it makes for uncomfortable reading if you're a bit rose-tinted about the old bulldog...