PDA

View Full Version : Suby STI vs 3-series

ryder23
01-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Does anyone own both?

If so which one do your prefer, or what are the pros and cons besides the HP issue..

Thanks !
I'm thinking of switching :P

Chris90
01-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I definitely prefered my '95 325i to my girlfriend's WRX. And if you're not willing to do an awd clutch-dump launch (which I wasn't), the WRX was no faster than the 325i.

___lk___
01-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I definitely prefered my '95 325i to my girlfriend's WRX. And if you're not willing to do an awd clutch-dump launch (which I wasn't), the WRX was no faster than the 325i.

the STI would stomp any 95 325i... u might be able to use Reverse and still do it :rolleyes:

KrisL
01-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I've driven an STi back to back with my car... it's certainly a different beast. Shorter gear ratios, more power, a much rougher driving experience.

I drive my car every day, so my car is a much better choice for me. More comfortable, smoother engine, more geek toys (nav, bluetooth, sirius, ipod..).

The brakes felt better on my car too. I don't know if it actually offers better braking performance, but it certainly had better feel.

Chris90
01-21-2006, 09:15 AM
the STI would stomp any 95 325i... u might be able to use Reverse and still do it :rolleyes:

That's for pointing out the obvious yes. But people say the WRX also stomps a 325i, and I know first hand that's not true - from a rolling start they're dead even up well over 100 mph. Only if you dump the clutch at a stoplight can the WRX beat a lowly 325i.

Bart001
01-21-2006, 10:30 AM
The 2 cars are so completely different that it's really apples vs. oranges.

To me, the 3-series is much more suitable as a daily driver. The 3-series is more comfortable in the ways I define comfort, and the torquier at low rpm's straight 6 would suit my driving style much much better. But that's the view of a 46 yr old; a 26 yr old might well prefer the Subaru.

KrisL
01-21-2006, 10:31 AM
But that's the view of a 46 yr old; a 26 yr old might well prefer the Subaru.

I'm 27 and I much prefer my BMW :).

Bart001
01-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm 27 and I much prefer my BMW :).

You've grown up a lot this past year :rofl:

Fast Bob
01-21-2006, 10:33 AM
The Subie feels like a tin can compared to a BMW....

Regards,
Bob

TLudwig
01-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Did you actually read the original post? First, he was talking about the STI, not the regular WRX. Second, he specifically stated that he was looking for pros and cons other than the HP issue. :angel:

To the original poster, the STI is great fun to drive around for a day or so, but I can see why you'd want to get out of it after awhile. Everybody wants a fun car to drive, but everybody also has times where they need a car that is at least somewhat relaxing. The STI can't be that car. It's loud, harsh, has no amenities, and to drive it at its limits is not an easy task. I can push my 3er extremely hard with minimal effort. Unlike the STI, it is extremely forgiving. The bimmer also has the added bells and whistles that you don't need, but are very nice to have: bluetooth phone, decent sound system, satelite radio, iPod hookup, etc.

If you can have two cars, the STI is a great weekend/fun car. If you can only have one car though, the BMW is a much better all-around car without sacrificing much in the fun factor.

Penforhire
01-21-2006, 02:08 PM
I didn't own the STI but I did own a C5 Z06. My 330i w/Sport/Lux/Nav/CA is a great sport-luxury sedan. The blend is nearly perfect to me. It is not the "best" at anything but it is so competent in every dimension that I find it a highly satisfying daily driver. I have ridden in a couple of STI's and EVO's and, to me, they lack the luxury part of the equation.

Chris90
01-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Did you actually read the original post? First, he was talking about the STI, not the regular WRX. Second, he specifically stated that he was looking for pros and cons other than the HP issue. :angel:

To the original poster, the STI is great fun to drive around for a day or so, but I can see why you'd want to get out of it after awhile. Everybody wants a fun car to drive, but everybody also has times where they need a car that is at least somewhat relaxing. The STI can't be that car. It's loud, harsh, has no amenities, and to drive it at its limits is not an easy task. I can push my 3er extremely hard with minimal effort. Unlike the STI, it is extremely forgiving. The bimmer also has the added bells and whistles that you don't need, but are very nice to have: bluetooth phone, decent sound system, satelite radio, iPod hookup, etc.

If you can have two cars, the STI is a great weekend/fun car. If you can only have one car though, the BMW is a much better all-around car without sacrificing much in the fun factor.

He has an E36, I had an E36. He's asking about a turbo Impreza, we have a turbo Impreza. I thought the comment that I prefered the E36's performance might be more worthwhile than the 10,000th post about how the STi is not a nice daily driver.

Shabba
01-21-2006, 04:22 PM
The Subie feels like a tin can compared to a BMW....

Regards,
Bob
:stupid:

So right on man. I traded in an '03 Nissan Spec-v for what I had really wanted, an '03 WRX and I was...happy, but the car was not what I expected. Now I have an old '98 328i. I LOVE this car. I've had it for a little more than a year and while that is not long for a lot of people, I owned 4 cars between October 2002 and October 2004. The WRX was fast, it handled alright and was generally of good build quality, but it was built to a price point and the older I get, the more comfort I want. The 328 is slower, handles in a different way but is so much more of a car. The BMW is like tiramisu, the WRX a pop tart. Both are great, but one is just more. It's hard to explain... however, Bob did an excellent job with his description. Tin can. Not a bad thing, but you WILL notice this in the WRX.

Jeff_DML
01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
stock e46 325 is not faster then a stock wrx unless you dont know how to shift properly. But yeah the 0-60 5.6s times in a stock wrx is almost impossible and you need to do a 6k clutch dump.

like other people said, wrx/sti is a tin can and beats you up and not a fun car when you are sitting in traffic. BMW is a lot better daily driver.

Moderato
01-22-2006, 06:23 AM
The 06 STI's are much more refined then especially the 04's, and even the 05's. Do your research on the different models years because each one, believe it or not is drastically different from the last. There's no doubt that the STI is a "toy car" but it's one that can hang with sports cars in the summer and 4WD's in the winter. If you're looking for class then STI is NOT it. The STI is all about performance. It has TONS of torque also and handles amazingly right out of the box. Personally, I'm waiting for the E92 M3 and at that time I will either sell the STI and get one, or if I'm not impressed with the E92 M3, then I'll keep the STI and pick up a used E46 M3 and have both. You really have to decide what you're looking for in the car and go from there. For me, the AWD in the STI was a factor for right now, but if it's not so for you then go for the E46 M3.

Chris90
01-22-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm not a WRX fan, but I think the STI fixes most of my complaints about the WRX - the crappy shifter, the enormous Greyhound-sourced steering wheel, the lag (improved at least), the mediocre brakes and the huge body roll.

Moderato
01-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm not a WRX fan, but I think the STI fixes most of my complaints about the WRX - the crappy shifter, the enormous Greyhound-sourced steering wheel, the lag (improved at least), the mediocre brakes and the huge body roll.It's pretty safe to say the STI doesn't do any of that! :rofl: They really improved the STI with the 06 model especially. The 6MT in the STI is probably what makes it worth the money over the WRX more then anything else but the list of improvements from the STI vs. the WRX is huge. There's as much of a difference between the WRX & STI as there is when comparing a 330 vs. an M3.

ryder23
01-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks TLudwig,

Sounds like STI is not what I'm looking for. I think the solution to my boredom is to shave off 400lbs off my present car. Throw out the back seats? Carbon fiber hood? No spare? No sound system?...wait i need tunes.. who needs AC? I'm san diego. lol

ryder23
01-26-2006, 04:28 PM
It's pretty safe to say the STI doesn't do any of that! :rofl: They really improved the STI with the 06 model especially. The 6MT in the STI is probably what makes it worth the money over the WRX more then anything else but the list of improvements from the STI vs. the WRX is huge. There's as much of a difference between the WRX & STI as there is when comparing a 330 vs. an M3.

Hmmm....I'll see if I give the 06 a try, but I don't think I can afford an 06' model -was hoping on landing an 04' ...bummer...guess I need to keep saving for a few more months =)
danx Moderator guy

curt3s
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I have an '02 WRX, and a '06 325i.

I'm selling the WRX but havent got around to it.

The Subaru is fast as hell, too fast in fact, its really easy to speed, and I've gotten way too many tickets with it.

The Subaru is a piece of **** compared to the 3 though, it drives like a brick, is not comfortable, and the interior sucks. I think the bug eyed headlights are ugly as hell. I agree with the Tin Can remark as well.

The 3. Well damnit, it's just amazing to me in every regard, aside from acceleration versus the subaru, which is fine with me because I want less tickets. (None yet in the BMW)

cwsqbm
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Can't really compare, as they are two different classes of car. The BMW is a sporty luxury car while the STI is a middle sedan trying hard to be a race car. The BMW is a much better car for normal driving, but the STI will destroying in any speed contest. Just because they cost the same doesn't really mean anything. What's next? A comparison between 'Slade and an E46 M3? I supposed the 'Slade is better because it can be factory ordered with dubs, has more horsepower and has room for a killer entertainment system, but the M3 somehow manages better performance.:p