: Need help from Canadians

01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I apologize for the off topic request, but I have spent an hour on google and cannot get the answers I need. Here is the situation. I am selling my 00 Z3 on ebay and a women in Montreal is desperate to buy it. My question is will Pennsylvania let her sign the title here and how much trouble is it to get it back across the border. Have any of you Canadians done something like this before.

01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I sold my last car to a Canadian and it wasn't that bad at all but there are some hoops you have to jump through. Call the customs locatoin where she'll be taking it across the border and get details from them.

The basic steps are:

1) Fed-Ex the title to the US side of the border a few days before she plans to arrive there with the car (they need to run checks to make sure there are no liens, it isn't stolen, etc).

2) Write up a bill of sale. She'll need to present that to the Canadian side to pay duties, taxes, fees, etc.

She picks up the title from the US side then goes through the rest on the Canadian side. She'll then have to register the car in Canada at a Ministry of Transport location (like any other car).

She can drive it back on PA plates.

If you need any more details PM me and I can dig into what all I had to do, but the above is pretty much it for the seller. I found the customs agents pretty helpful on both sides of the border when I called. They are remarkably friendly when you try to do things by the book.


01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
James, will Pennslyvania allow her to get the title with her Canadian drivers liscence and issue a temporary plate to drive it.

01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
James, will Pennslyvania allow her to get the title with her Canadian drivers liscence and issue a temporary plate to drive it.
She picks up the title with the bill of sale and some ID. The US Customs only cares that the car is clear of any liens. If she has a passport it's probably recommended. I'll ask the person that bought my car exactly what he went through at the border.

Really though, she should be the one digging into all this since she is the special case (and she seems pretty motivated).

Getting the car out of the US is pretty easy. Getting it into Canada is her problem :). But really, it's not that big of a deal. You should instruct her to call Canada Customs and find out if 1) she is allowed to import the car and 2) what steps she needs to take once she has the title from US customs.

I'll update this later tonight/tomorrow once I hear back from the person that bought my car and imported it.

01-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks James. I sent her the link to this page.

01-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I spoke to my friend that bought the car and got some details. He said it was pretty much as above.

To get the title from US customs he showed his driver's license (Canadian) and gave the PA plate number off the car.

On the Canadian side he just had to pay duty on it.

He drove it home on the PA plates and then transfered the plates from his previous car.

01-23-2006, 11:50 PM
There would likely be an out-of-province safety inspection on the car (not sure what the regs are in Quebec), and the DRL's would have to be activated.

I think she would also need a letter to show that there are no outstanding recalls in the US.

01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Here's some info on the Canadian side of the process... www.riv.ca

If you guys have any insights into my post, please let me know...