PDA

View Full Version : Odd clicking from lower left side of driver's seat

KevinH
01-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I've got a 2005 325i with about 11,000 miles on it and have sporadically heard a strange electric-sounding click from the lower left area of the driver's seat.

It's coming from where the seat memory buttons are. At first I thought it was just the seat flexing but no amount of moving around in the seat can duplicate the sound. Any ideas?

xspeedy
01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Does it only do it when cornering or when braking/accelerating? My 04 had seat clicking under these situations, and after a while the noise went away on its own.

KevinH
01-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Yes, it seems like it does it under those circumstances. Very strange. Maybe it will go away.

xspeedy
01-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Yes, it seems like it does it under those circumstances. Very strange. Maybe it will go away.

It must have been a common issue, because both of my last two BMWs had it (04 330i and 05 X3). My 06 330i doesn't do it, so I'm lucky.

I noticed that it would make the noise on acceleration, and then on braking. Or after I stopped or braked hard, it would do it on accel. If you notice the same thing, try this: after braking hard or stopping, try pushing yourself back into the seat with some force while you are stopped. It can be hard to replicate by shifting your weight, but I was able to get it to happen a little.

The noise seemed to wear itself out after a couple of months, on both cars.

avalys
01-22-2006, 07:35 AM
My 2003 325Ci started to do this a few weeks ago. It seemed to have gone away recently, but I noticed it again today.

Ajax
01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I've got it...I always thought it was the springs or something in the seat...not electrical. It fades in and out.