PDA

View Full Version : Good Things Coming!

FenPhen
01-22-2006, 03:14 PM
This press release has a lot of exciting stuff about efficiency and performance:
http://www.bmwgroupna.com/pressdetail.aspx?rel=237

weight reduction
carbon dioxide emissions reduction
high precision injection (GDI)
brake energy regeneration
auto start/stop
active transmission
super capacitors
new diesels
hydrogen combustion
fuel-cell APU

No projected dates are included, but I imagine the next 7 or next 5 will see some of this stuff. :)

hawk2100n
01-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I think that Weight reduction will be the first, which has already been implimented since the e39, and then CO2 emmsions. The high precision injection is really cool, it combines gasoline DI and diesel style injection. During acceleration, standard Direct Injection is used along with air flow throttling like a normal car. Then during crusing, the engine switches to a compression ignition system with fuel based throttling. This would significantly improve crusing mileage, and vurtually iliminate pumping losses while still running on gas. This system is pretty far away though, because the system has to be able to seamlessly switch from standard operation to compression ignition all within one revolution.

Malibubimmer
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
This press release has a lot of exciting stuff about efficiency and performance:
http://www.bmwgroupna.com/pressdetail.aspx?rel=237

weight reduction
carbon dioxide emissions reduction
high precision injection (GDI)
brake energy regeneration
auto start/stop
active transmission
super capacitors
new diesels
hydrogen combustion
fuel-cell APU

No projected dates are included, but I imagine the next 7 or next 5 will see some of this stuff. :)
While the press release doesn't mention it, best of all most of those features will be operated through iDrive! Whoopee.

LA525iT
01-22-2006, 07:34 PM
As complexity goes up, reliability is just going to get worse and worse.

Looks like I'll be driving an E39 into my grave.

tierfreund
01-23-2006, 02:38 AM
While the press release doesn't mention it, best of all most of those features will be operated through iDrive! Whoopee.

Something tells me Malibu has an issue with the i-drive... :rofl:

Ever thought of getting a non-Nav E90? Itīs i-drive free bliss :D

wwb4
01-23-2006, 02:43 AM

Poor Malibu and his "idrive" problems. :tsk: Hope that things get better for you Malibu.