PDA

View Full Version : Are My Friends' Car Future Doomed

Stuka
01-22-2006, 03:36 PM
My wife's friend currently has two kids, and is managing fine with the E46 with two baby seats in the back.

Is there any non X BMW's in the line up that can handle three cihld seats? Or are they doomed to be driving Mini Vans.:yikes:

e60lover
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
When saying X, are you saying non X-Drive or an ex model (older) ?

Stuka
01-22-2006, 10:38 PM
When saying X, are you saying non X-Drive or an ex model (older) ?

SUV's.

Form the lack of response here, I take it that they are doomed to mini vans.:yikes:

swchang
01-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Tell them to wait for the V5.

tierfreund
01-23-2006, 12:44 AM
It is a common misperception to think that there is more interior space in an X (SUV).

Actually, youīd get three child seats more easily into a 5 touring than an X5. Even easier in a 7.

I just donīt get it when ppl say they need the space of a X5 because they have a family. Has anyone ever really compared the interior space of an SUV with a decent (similar) sized sedan or station wagon? The bigger bulk of an SUV usually goes into ride hight, bigger wheels and suspension units and wheel travel. But not into interior space.

Stuka
01-23-2006, 12:55 AM
It is a common misperception to think that there is more interior space in an X (SUV).

Actually, youīd get three child seats more easily into a 5 touring than an X5. Even easier in a 7.

I just donīt get it when ppl say they need the space of a X5 because they have a family. Has anyone ever really compared the interior space of an SUV with a decent (similar) sized sedan or station wagon? The bigger bulk of an SUV usually goes into ride hight, bigger wheels and suspension units and wheel travel. But not into interior space.

I didn't think they are three child seat hookups in the backseat of either the E60 or the E90, no?:dunno:

tierfreund
01-23-2006, 02:08 AM
I didn't think they are three child seat hookups in the backseat of either the E60 or the E90, no?:dunno:

Youīre right, there arenīt. But then, I canīt find those in the docu for the X5 either. If there is such a difference though, itīd be the first time I see any reasonable arguement towards an X.

tierfreund
01-23-2006, 02:18 AM
But interesting comparison:

Front seat widths:
X5: 1504mm
5touring: 1484mm

Front seat headroom:
X5: 1013mm
5touring: 992mm

Rear seat width:
X5: 1484mm
5touring: 1496mm

Rear headroom:
X5: 977mm
5touring:994mm

trunk space (regular)
X5: 465 litres
5touring: 500litres

trunk space (rear seats folded):
X5: 1550litres
5touring:1650litres

So the X5 is more roomy in the front seat, but actually smaller in all rear seat and cargo measurements.

So are you really buying that SUV for your family???

Rowag
01-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm not an expert here (no babies as of yet), but our E46 LATCH system has 3 top latches and the two bottom links by the seatbelts.

So I think the hookups could handle 3 seats, but that still leaves the physcial space needed width-wise. How much width do you need for 3 child seats?

Rowag
01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
So are you really buying that SUV for your family???

Hey now, get it right. It's S ***A*** V.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry - it had to be done!

For true family safety AND unstoppable cargo space, a minivan is king. Unfortunately they're also the undisputed kings of driving boredom.

LmtdSlip
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Three baby seats are tight in most sedans.

My in laws had the big Volvo wagon and had to go to a minivan as the three seats were way too tight and the kids were constantly touching, poking, teasing, tickling eachother.

They bought a Honda Odessey and love it. Understand that they arent car enthusiasts.

tierfreund
01-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Hey now, get it right. It's S ***A*** V.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry - it had to be done!

For true family safety AND unstoppable cargo space, a minivan is king. Unfortunately they're also the undisputed kings of driving boredom.

UUpps, Iīm sorry, Iīm not so fluent in the BMW marketing lingo :D

cwsqbm
01-24-2006, 06:42 AM
My in laws had the big Volvo wagon and had to go to a minivan as the three seats were way too tight and the kids were constantly touching, poking, teasing, tickling eachother.

I'm think plastic shields inserted between the seats would solve that age old problem. That, or the threat "Don't make me stop the car."

GJR
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
As far as rear legroom goes, my dad's X5 seems to have a couple more inches of space compared to my touring (probably would help keep the kids' feet off the seatbacks).

tierfreund
01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
As far as rear legroom goes, my dad's X5 seems to have a couple more inches of space compared to my touring (probably would help keep the kids' feet off the seatbacks).

Donīt know about the E39 touring. But the data shows the E60 touring has a lot more rear seat room in every dimension + more trunk space than the current X5

GJR
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Good to know. I keep forgetting that the E60 wagon is around- haven't seen it in person yet.

Salvator
01-24-2006, 10:17 AM
We carry two children (one 5.5 yr old, and a 1.5 year old) in our 525iT... Plenty of room, no issues... I have installed, on occasion, 3 booster seats in the back seat of the wagon... tight, but workable... Baby seats, on the other hand, seem to take up 1.5 spaces... so, partially, it depends on the age of the kids... if one kid is old enough to forgo a booster, they should be able to squeeze in the middle between the other "boosterized" kids...

LA525iT
01-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Donīt know about the E39 touring. But the data shows the E60 touring has a lot more rear seat room in every dimension + more trunk space than the current X5

Slightly OT, but the E39 Touring has a lot more cargo space than the X5, something like 10sf or so. Bought a Touring because of the dog, who fits in an E39 Touring but probably would have been very uncomfortable in the back of the X5.

eelnoraa
01-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Unfortunitely, SUV is part of American culture. In Europe and Asia, there are a lot more wagon on the street than SUV.

I must agree that wagon and mini van is a better choice than SUV in term of safety, feul economy and cargo space.

eel

Rowag
01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
If I *had* to have 3 baby seats at once, I'd probably go with an AWD minivan and stick a blower and some NOS on the thing. :eeps: At least you could have some straight-line fun, especially when there's nobody else riding. :)