PDA

View Full Version : Results From Maintenance Check :(

Groatsy
01-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie when it comes to BMWs, trying to learn as much as I can. So sorry if the questions are a bit lame!

Ive had my 3 series M sport coupe for about 3 months now, the warrenty is running out in a month or so, so i thought it best to get a checkup by the local BMW garage. Here are the results:

1. Handbrake not working at optimum level - 120
- The handbrake seems fine to me, the car doesnt go anywhere when its on.

2. Wear on the inside front tyres - 250
- Now apparently I need a full car re-alignment, personally I have no idea what this means, is it any different to tracking changes that any garage will do for about 25?

3. New front brake pads - 130 fitted.
- I think i'll be able to do this myself for a lot less. Has anyone got any links to a decent tutorial to help me on my way.

Any advice on the above would be hugely appreciated, i have the biggest concerns about the re-alignment?

Thanks guys.

avalys
01-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie when it comes to BMWs, trying to learn as much as I can. So sorry if the questions are a bit lame!

Ive had my 3 series M sport coupe for about 3 months now, the warrenty is running out in a month or so, so i thought it best to get a checkup by the local BMW garage. Here are the results:

1. Handbrake not working at optimum level - 120
- The handbrake seems fine to me, the car doesnt go anywhere when its on.

2. Wear on the inside front tyres - 250
- Now apparently I need a full car re-alignment, personally I have no idea what this means, is it any different to tracking changes that any garage will do for about 25?

3. New front brake pads - 130 fitted.
- I think i'll be able to do this myself for a lot less. Has anyone got any links to a decent tutorial to help me on my way.

Any advice on the above would be hugely appreciated, i have the biggest concerns about the re-alignment?

Thanks guys.
1) The handbrake periodically needs adjustment - you shouldn't have to pull it up very far to get it to engage. It's a fairly simple job though, that price is quite high. You can easily do it yourself in a half-hour, at most.

2) I don't know what "tracking changes" are, but for 25 pounds you're not getting much. If you do need an alignment (check the tires yourself) you should get a four-wheel alignment done by a competent shop. In the US, that costs maybe $100. Again, the price they quote seems high, but it's not a BS repair.

3) Again, a little high. A full set of pads and rotors costs maybe $400 (installed) in the US. Maybe $80 for just front pads? I actually haven't had to do that out of warranty in my BMW yet.

avalys
01-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Also, are you taking it to the dealer? It sure sounds like it. They'll always overcharge you. Go to a good independent shop. You'll probably find better service, and lower prices.

Bart001
01-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Replacing just pads without making absolutely sure that the rotors have adequate life left would be a big mistake. M3's stop so well for a reason; it takes friction to stop. Understand the specs for your rotors and how to measure them. Also, do find a good independent shop; dealerships charge more than you need to pay for routine maintenance items.

Groatsy
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys :p I have phoned round and found a decent independant near me. I think I will have to bite the bullet and get the re-alignment done as I really dont want to chew up too many tyres. Something tells me we might be getting stiffed on prices in the UK :thumbdwn: