PDA

View Full Version : A question about insurance...

BringsMeWomen
01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
If you get in a lot of accidents, your insurance goes up starting from the first one.

What if your car gets stolen or broken into or parts are stolen? Does your insurance immediately go up with every incident?

SteveinBelAir
01-23-2006, 09:26 AM
It depends on your carrier. Are you shopping for insurance? Who is your carrier now?

My experience with State Farm has been great - 17 years, several 'incidents' including a $24000 write off that was my fault (but no police citation).

No 'punative' increases over that time, but they do insure my house, wife's jewelry, life and all my vehicles.

iove75
01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
With State Farm, they will increase your rates and/or take away accident free discount, only if it is a chargeable occurence that exceeds $750.00. In other words, it's your fault and it costs them more than $750.00. I would imagine other insurance would be similar. If you file a comprehensive claim then it should not go up...but my agent warned me a few years ago that they can drop you for any reason...But do check with your particular agent.

P.S. I just remembered for my very first accident that was my fault awhile back, they did not raise my rate or take away any discounts...But they did for the second one.

BringsMeWomen
01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
With State Farm, they will increase your rates and/or take away accident free discount, only if it is a chargeable occurence that exceeds $750.00. In other words, it's your fault and it costs them more than $750.00. I would imagine other insurance would be similar. If you file a comprehensive claim then it should not go up...but my agent warned me a few years ago that they can drop you for any reason...But do check with your particular agent.

What about Geico?

So in other words if I get my car keyed and I have insurance pay the bill, my insurance won't go up unless its keyed constantly or I constantly have bad luck?

avalys
01-23-2006, 09:44 AM
What about Geico?

So in other words if I get my car keyed and I have insurance pay the bill, my insurance won't go up unless its keyed constantly or I constantly have bad luck?
Geico, in my experience, sucks. They are horrible. Avoid them at all costs. How do you think they operate so cheaply? They refuse to pay for quality repairs, they raise your rates or drop you at the slightest provocation, and are just generally miserable to deal with. They also actively contribute to the low-speed-limit lobby.

No one can predict what an insurance company will do. I would think you'd be okay with a single keying incident. Talk to your agent.

BringsMeWomen
01-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Geico, in my experience, sucks. They are horrible. Avoid them at all costs. How do you think they operate so cheaply? They refuse to pay for quality repairs, they raise your rates or drop you at the slightest provocation, and are just generally miserable to deal with. They also actively contribute to the low-speed-limit lobby.

No one can predict what an insurance company will do. I would think you'd be okay with a single keying incident. Talk to your agent.

I heard Geico rarely drops people. They will more likely charge you out the butt. They have different levels of coverage I hear that they elevate people to when it's higher risk.

Bart001
01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
I heard Geico rarely drops people. They will more likely charge you out the butt. They have different levels of coverage I hear that they elevate people to when it's higher risk.

You heard wrong.

GEICO dropped me about 10 years ago after 3 not-at-fault claims in 2 years. One was a comprehensive claim when my car was broken into in Baltimore (go figure!). I forget what the second one was. The last claim, after which I was dropped, was where I was hit in the middle of an intersection by a red-light runner. My light was green, he zoomed thru after it turned red, he was ticketed and I wasn't. GEICO said that their "review program pegged me as a high risk customer." I hadn't had a moving violation in 20 years, either. I also had to scratch and claw to get the repairs done at a quality shop. Fortunately, none of the repairs were extensive.

I ended up going with State Farm. My State Farm agent told me that what happened to me was very common with GEICO and that their low rates don't really pay off if you start making claims for any reason. Of course, he sells a product that directly competes with GEICO, but I took it to heart nevertheless.

I'll never go back to GEICO

Ågent99
01-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Geico has been great to me for many, many years. Processing of claims was always smooth.

It was only until my wife and I had a 'bad' 2004 (1 at-fault accident each...mine involved a car and hers a fire hydrant! :rofl: ). Geico really jacked up my rates and I left...I left after 10 years of fantastic Geico service and prices.

I was on the phone with them for 20 minutes trying to get them to understand that my rates increase was extremely unfair given my substantial history with them. Well, they wouldn't or couldn't budge and I left and signed up with Wawanesa. Now I get monthly letters from Geico asking me to come back (just a form letter) and try them again.

I will probably call them one of these days just to see if their rates are better. I was really sad to leave Geico...they were a great insurance company to deal with. Any accident I had (all expect the two in 2004) were not my fault I simply called them and they dealt directly with the other carrier.

My rates never changed an iota (except to go down) during this long period of time. 2004 changed all that.

They are worth a quote IMO.