PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tired of driving their BMW?

Mini Art
01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I know I am.

I drive my BMW during the week and the Boxster on the weekends. So you probably going to ask , "why don't you drive the Boxster on the weekdays, too?" Because I don't want to put a lot of miles on it. I know its a stupid answer. But for some unknown reason I feel so relax driving the Porsche than the BMW... crazy isn't it? I guess for most people on here, they are driving the car they want to drive all the time and never grow tired of it. Thats cool! :thumbup:

But if you had your choice of another car, what would you be driving?

BTW... the Boxster and I are parting ways due to the lease ending. Maybe I'm feeeling the early stages of separation anxiety.:dunno:

KrisL
01-23-2006, 11:17 AM

Cayman S?

...until that becomes financially feasable, I love driving my BMW every day. :)

Penforhire
01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
My daily drive is mostly wrath-of-God traffic. So I suppose I could want a little more pampering and a super-soft suspension. Gimme a Lexus. But since I can only afford one premium ride the 330i is nearly perfect to me, soft enough to commute with some luxury but hard enough to play on weekends. If I want an even more sporting ride I jump on the motorcycle.

Cliff
01-23-2006, 12:29 PM
No, my car still puts a smile on my face after 3 1/2 years of ownership. It's lonely though, and wants something more beast-like as a garage mate. I'm waiting on more concrete information about the E90 M, and if the unannounced but probable MZ4 coupe will eventually have other engine options than the S54. In the meantime, since I'll be paying off the car loan in the next few weeks, I'll enjoy a year or so of not having any car payments.

mtbscott
01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Funny you should ask. I've got the BMW that for many would be an ultimate in the garage, a 2003 E46 M3, but after 2.5 years, I'm thinking change. I picked up a MINI MCS in November that is currently satisfying my "new car" urge, but it was not bought to be a principle driver. Realistically, I need something bigger than the MINI for some of my needs, but don't think I would ever want a SUV or the like. The M3 is really pretty practical, it's just an expensive beast to own and maintain, and some of its monthly outlay could be used for better purposes. My current tangent is replacing the M3 with some sort of sporting sedan i.e. Jetta GLI or Mazdaspeed 6. On the other hand I saw my first Cayman yesterday (most stunning Porsche I have ever laid eyes on) and the upcoming Z4 coupe lights my fire as well. I'm just a car guy that likes to own and experience lots of different vehicles, both a blessing and a curse.

Rowag
01-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I drive my BMW during the week and the Boxster on the weekends. :thumbup:

Wow... imagine the odds... I've got both a BMW and a 986 Boxster. I love them both for different reasons.

What kind of BMW do you have? That's probably a large part of it.

Before our 330ci ZHP we had a 325ci ZSP. That car would be an absolute bore compared with our Boxster, and I'd probably find myself wanting if we had our Boxster at the time. But the ZHP is a great compliment to the Porsche with many similar attributes: quick turn-in, absolutely MONSTER brakes, similar power-to-weight, similar lack of body roll, etc.

For the daily commute (3.5 miles to work, 3.5 miles back) I love our 330ci ZHP. It has plenty of luxury, yet turn the wheel a little more and BAM, it stiffens up and you're grinning. It's safer, and definitely slays the Boxster when it comes to rain, longer trips, bumpy roads, carrying cargo, and dealing with colder weather. :thumbup:

But on weekends (or occasionally nice weekdays) I get in the Boxster. :thumbup: And *EVERY* time it's easy to see why "There is no substitute" -- no CDV clutch, no drive-by-wire (though the ZHP's dbw is really, really good), etc. It's so much more raw and so much more "real" that everytime I get in it I say "Wow!" :yikes:

On a nice day for a 45-minute joyride around town, I'll take the Boxster any day. Any longer than that, though, and getting in the BMW afterwards makes me sigh with relief... the inline 6 is so smooth, the seats are more comfortable, and things are much quieter.

My wife feels exactly the same way as I do with both cars. So, no, I guess we're not tired of our BMW... but if we had a way to justify a third car it'd be a Cayman S. :bigpimp:

whiskey.org
01-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm in the same boat, I drive a TON for work, so I get bored with sitting in my 3, and the
Z4 is a nice change up that I use for personal errands and weekend trips.

my 3 is my friggin office, I don't want to be in there on the weekends!

99flhr
01-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I know I am.

I drive my BMW during the week and the Boxster on the weekends. . the Boxster and I are parting ways due to the lease ending.

I`m considering a Boxster as my next weekend car, please share your experience.

Time owned?
Miles driven?
Problems?
Thanks!:)

MMME30W
01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I cannot afford two "fun" cars so I drive the bimmer everday. When I want a lift I go out in the Mini. :thumbup:

Rowag
01-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Time owned?
Miles driven?
Problems?

We picked up an immaculate '98 Boxster with 14k miles in April for $21k.

It's had two minor issues so far:
1. top transmission cable shrank on one side - 30 minute DIY fix, $0 parts
2. steering wheel airbag suspension rubber dry rotted - 20 minute DIY fix, $4.00 for a tube of silicon sealant

Both problems are very common with '97 and '98 Boxsters; both got corrected by Porsche for '99.

We've put 5k miles on the car so far, and it's incredible. The sports car deal of the century, I'd say.

Look for one with no wrecks, a good service history, and heated seats if you can.

bigudibmw
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Boxster is an unbelievable value for the money. I am currently driving one until my '06 330i gets here...and while I love the car, I do feel it is a little short on power. Plus, I am looking forward to more room in the 330i.

The 911 however, may be the greatest car I have ever driven in my life...

jrp
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I get to drive rental cars quite regularly...always feels grrreat to be back in the saddle of one of my cars.

Z8, CLS55, any Aston Martin, 911 Turbo, any Ferrari...I really don't know. :dunno: :)

alpinewhite325i
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Tired of my old, stripped, slow as molasses 325i?

No way!!

Still look forward to driving it everday.

gr8330
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I know I am.

I drive my BMW during the week and the Boxster on the weekends. So you probably going to ask , "why don't you drive the Boxster on the weekdays, too?" Because I don't want to put a lot of miles on it. I know its a stupid answer. But for some unknown reason I feel so relax driving the Porsche than the BMW... crazy isn't it? I guess for most people on here, they are driving the car they want to drive all the time and never grow tired of it. Thats cool! :thumbup:

BTW... the Boxster and I are parting ways due to the lease ending. Maybe I'm feeeling the early stages of separation anxiety.:dunno:

Iím just the opposite I feel more relaxed driving the BMW than the Porsche.

chowan24
01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
my choice on another ride would be a Bentley Continental GT (Hopefully 08)

Lanc3r
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
As a favor to my dad, I have been working on his 1963 Ford Falcon. After it sitting in his garage for 10 yrs I got it running today. I changed all the fluids and ignition points and took it for a spin. It was one of the most exciting driving experiences I have had for a while. Something about the old school feels really cool. So with that in mind and a weeks worth of Barret-Jackson, my dream car would be either a 74 Alpina 2002 or a 73 Alpina 3.0 CSL . I dont care that they should be relegated to a museum, I would drive the hell out of them. The kind of car you wake up in the morning excited to drive.

Mini Art
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM

Time owned?
Miles driven?
Problems?

I had MY03 Boxster for about 3 years and put in around 16k enjoyable, fascinating, fun-loving miles, exciting, breathing-taking, and unforgettable miles.:clap: :clap: :clap: It was a great car for the weekends. I used to take it up HWY17 towards the Santa Cruz Mtns...:D :thumbup: I have never driven a car before that you can actually feel SO confident in driving through narrow twisty roads. And the only car I know that you can drive off the showroom floor, drive to work during the week and compete in an AX afterwards w/o adding any major aftermarket parts. Ok, I'm off the soapbox now.

Of course, like any high-performance sports car, the car has some known problems. The cable which is attached to a socket that opens and closes the top broke after a few months, but was repaired under warrenty. Other than that... no other problems. You'll hear a lot of talk about RMS( real main seal) leaks, but I've only heard of a few bad ones from other forums mostly out... 10,000+ sold in the U.S. There are some great used ones out there now since the Cayman is out. I'll definitely buy another one down the road, but it would have to be the '03 and up. Pre-03's have a plastic rear window.

Some people will say its a little underpowered, but it filled my needs perfectly.

Tschuss

BlackChrome
01-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Nope, not yet.

For the most part, I drive a Honda (either a '97 Integra GSR or a '95 Accord) during the week commuting. And when I do take the e46 for work, I get stuck in the traffic anyway. It's the weekend drives with the local CCA people make me love the e46! :thumbup:

Mels325
01-26-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm not tired of it either after 13 years, in fact I just reinvigorated my love of driving this car this week. It may not be the fastest car out there, and it is showing it's age and lack of some of the nice features the new ones have, but it is still a joy to drive.
Put new tires shocks and struts on her and now I remember why I bought this car. Rides like the day I brought her home for the first time. Wish I'd done that replacement before my recent 800 Mile round trip in two days that highlighted some handling problems and tire wear that I could not see before.
If I could drive any other car for the same purpose I drive this one I'd say a nice M3 convertible I saw at the dealer yesterday.

germanblood
01-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Cayman S?

...until that becomes financially feasable, I love driving my BMW every day. :)
I'm with you. Also, I can't wait to test drive the Z4 coupe. A 911 Turbo is still my ultimate fantasy.

Bmwcat
01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
The 328 is great but with an auto tranny I do miss shifting on our mountain roads in CA. I wouldnt mind a Z4 or a Porsche either!! :bigpimp:

MarcusSDCA
01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I love driving my BMW but they will lose me as a loyal fan if they don't eventually bring out a hybrid or a diesel into the US market.

BMers are great cars but they love to drink gas.

Bmwcat
01-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I love driving my BMW but they will lose me as a loyal fan if they don't eventually bring out a hybrid or a diesel into the US market.

BMers are great cars but they love to drink gas.

My 6-banger 328 can squeeze 30MPG on long trips if I stay below 100MPH! But seriously its a whole lot better than the Ford truck we use sparingly :D

mark_12345
01-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Had many sports cars in the past including a Boxster S, S2000 and 997. I would say the Boxster S was the best car of the trio in terms of being one with the road. I now have a E46 M3 Convertible - love it in terms of performance and luxury for a 4 seat convertible sports car. By the way, owners of E46 M3 with 19s, change the stock Continental tires out ASAP to better tires and you will enjoy the car much more. The stock Continentals are so freakin' stiff and loud!!!

Given the opportunity, I would do a Boxster S or 997 Cab again.