PDA

View Full Version : Can a Canadian buy a BMW in the US and bring it back?

virtualrain
01-23-2006, 02:46 PM
With the USD/CAD exchange rate being as favorable as it is, I got to wondering if it was possible and practical for a Canadian to buy a BMW from a US dealer and bring it back to Canada. The difference in MSRP between comparibly equipped cars would seem to make it very attractive, particularly for higher end products. According to www.riv.ca, there is a process to it but it sounds manageable.

My questions are:
- Will a US dealer sell to someone out of state/country?
- Will a US purchased BMW imported into Canada have its warranty honored by Canadian dealers?

What about ED... The US Euro Delivery pricing is even more favorable than in Canada... Is there any reason why you couldn't do a US ED program and then when the car gets to the US, import it into Canada?

Has anyone considered or tried this?

Thanks!

99flhr
01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Aren`t the duty taxes going to negate your savings?

HW
01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Aren`t the duty taxes going to negate your savings?

yep.

virtualrain
01-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Obviously you pay the taxes either way so the only difference is the duty, which I understand is about 6% but I don't yet know enough to say under what circumstances that applies (i.e. new or used or both).

On an M5 (for example) assuming you can get them for MSRP, even with the exchange and duty the savings is still about $20K CAD.

WAM
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
You can buy a US model and take into Canada. My uncle bought a Saab 9-3 (yes, really!) from Texas, and drove it back to Montreal, last year.

I don't know what the paperwork process involved. He was interested in buying a Diesel Benz too, but mentioned something about Transport Canada permitting only certain models to be imported into Canada. So, I suggest you start there.

Warranty is a separate issue, check with BMW Canada. I believe BMW Canada is a sort of 'subsidiary' to BMW NA.

HW
01-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Warranty is a separate issue, check with BMW Canada. I believe BMW Canada is a sort of 'subsidiary' to BMW NA.

i believe it's separate. asfor import, there was some sort of agreement that you had to sign saying that you will not export you canadian bmw to the u.s. purchased less than 1 year ago. this was the case when the canadian dollar was at ~1.6 to the u.s.. not sure if this is still the case right now while the exchange is 1.15. :dunno: maybe the u.s. side of things don't have such thing to sign.

neill
01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I believe BMW Canada is a sort of 'subsidiary' to BMW NA.

BMWNA and BMW Group Canada are indeed separate subsidiaries.......

Malibubimmer
01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
It will need to have running lights on at all times. The Canadians require a lighted target. And the speedo will have to display KPH rather than MPH as its primary measurement system. (Although when I drove in Montreal and Quebec on highways where the limit signs said "100," our Neighbors to the North acted as if that was in MPH rather than KPH.)

virtualrain
01-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks all... As pointed out in my OP, every detail related to importing a car into Canada is covered at www.riv.ca including required modifications, documentation, process, etc.

What of course is not on that site are specifics related to how BMW handles this kind of transaction on the sale and warranty side which is where I really could use some input from knowledgeable folks. I guess since this is likely a rare transaction, I shouldn't expect a lot of first-hand experience to come forth quickly on this.

So to shift the topic of this thread a little... Have any other Canadians considered buying a BMW in the US? If not, is it because you feel the savings don't justify the hassle or is it some other reason?

Cheers,
- VR.

iove75
01-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Why don't you move here? US-Canadian relations is going to get cozier.

virtualrain
01-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Why don't you move here? US-Canadian relations is going to get cozier.

I Love you guys but not that much! :thumbup: :p

BayAreaBMWFan
01-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I think the warranty for US Spec cars sold initially in the US are honored by Canadian dealers. I do not think the scheduled maintenance carries over.
You will have to do a few things including DRL , bumpers and some child seat belt related stuff. I almost bought a US spec E38 which was exported to Canada and then made Canada ready by the same owner. I think that most current BMWs should be easy to make Canada ready. I am sure they meet the 8KmH bumper test, DRLs can be programed in and the tether points and LATCH are already present.

Since you are in Vancouver, you could actually drive down to the US for the scheduled maintenance (once every 15K) :D.

Shades
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
BMWNA and BMW Group Canada are indeed separate subsidiaries.......
The only thing that is seperate is that the cars are imported through Halifax for all the Canadian dealers by BMW Canada.BMW Canada is run by and overseen by BMWNA in New Jersey.

virtualrain
01-27-2006, 12:02 AM
The only thing that is seperate is that the cars are imported through Halifax for all the Canadian dealers by BMW Canada.BMW Canada is run by and overseen by BMWNA in New Jersey.

Are you sure about this? How do you know?

I was under the impression that BMW Canada (like most multi-national subsidiaries) is an indpendent organization designed to deal with the unique business laws and tax requirements, etc. related to the nation in question.

Evidence in terms of products would also indicate that BMW Canada is not related to BMWNA since Canada has always enjoyed the full range of products and options like the Europeans but unlike the US.

virtualrain
01-27-2006, 12:04 AM
I think the warranty for US Spec cars sold initially in the US are honored by Canadian dealers. I do not think the scheduled maintenance carries over.
You will have to do a few things including DRL , bumpers and some child seat belt related stuff. I almost bought a US spec E38 which was exported to Canada and then made Canada ready by the same owner. I think that most current BMWs should be easy to make Canada ready. I am sure they meet the 8KmH bumper test, DRLs can be programed in and the tether points and LATCH are already present.

Since you are in Vancouver, you could actually drive down to the US for the scheduled maintenance (once every 15K) :D.

Thanks. Do you have any insights into whether a US dealer will actually sell a car to someone from out of state or out of country?

BayAreaBMWFan
01-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks. Do you have any insights into whether a US dealer will actually sell a car to someone from out of state or out of country?

Interesting point. Out of state happens all the time; out of country might be a new one. I think you should call BMW USA to get a definite answer to that. They might require a US address for the buyer if the car is being sold by a US dealer. From the dealer's perspective it does not make a difference. You definitely do not need any proof of legal (from immigration perspective) US residence to buy a car.

The only challenge is that the US dealer may not be equipped to do Canadian titling/licensing. You will have to ask them to issue temporary plates/registeration like what they would do for an out of state buyer. Hopefully the Canadian titling agencies will recognize your temporary registration. And make sure they do not charge you for the full title/reg etc..

And IIRC BMWNA is not the same as BMW USA, though might be located in the same place.

Shades
01-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Are you sure about this? How do you know?

I was under the impression that BMW Canada (like most multi-national subsidiaries) is an indpendent organization designed to deal with the unique business laws and tax requirements, etc. related to the nation in question.

Evidence in terms of products would also indicate that BMW Canada is not related to BMWNA since Canada has always enjoyed the full range of products and options like the Europeans but unlike the US.
BMW Canada is a seperate company in terms of what they are able to order and the fact that they are the importer, but they are run and overseen by BMWNA.I know because i have a friend who works for BMW.Its know secret ,next time you go to your dealer ask the manager of your dealership.Tom Purves the President of BMWNA comes up to Canada all the time.The only reason that Canada gets to order the full range of products is because Canada is a much smaller market.This is why the individual program has not been officially offered in the US .BMWNA has felt that there are to many dealers in the US to run the program properly.Customers in the US have been able to order some individual options, but they have to find the right dealer who is willing to try to get BMWNA to order what they want.

E91
01-31-2006, 09:21 PM
With the USD/CAD exchange rate being as favorable as it is, I got to wondering if it was possible and practical for a Canadian to buy a BMW from a US dealer and bring it back to Canada. The difference in MSRP between comparibly equipped cars would seem to make it very attractive, particularly for higher end products. According to www.riv.ca, there is a process to it but it sounds manageable.

My questions are:
- Will a US purchased BMW imported into Canada have its warranty honored by Canadian dealers?

What about ED... The US Euro Delivery pricing is even more favorable than in Canada... Is there any reason why you couldn't do a US ED program and then when the car gets to the US, import it into Canada?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting your question. I have been looking into the possibility of bringing a US-spec 325xi Touring into Canada for the past few months and can share what I have learned so far.

1) The US-spec car is better equipped than the corresponding Canadian-spec vehicle and has more options. Based on the current USD/CAD exchange rate (1.14), I have estimated the landed cost in Canada of a really well equipped 325xiT from the US would be approximately $6,000 CAD cheaper than the comparable model bought from a Canadian dealership. This includes import fees, 6.1% duty, GST and PST and metric conversion. When comparing the respective European Delivery programs the difference is closer to $10,000CAD.

2) Last October I asked BMWNA about the feasibility of a Canadian buying from a US dealer. Here is their response:
- “The warranty follows the car. You would have warranty coverage in Canada if you bought in US.”
- “Maintenance plan does not transfer from US to Canada. Any maintenance work would have to be done in US.”
- “Roadside Assistance follows vehicle but you would have to call US number if you needed roadside assistance.”
- “Whether the car is bought in your name or company name it would still need to be registered in US if you buy in US.”

3) A month ago the BMWNA European Delivery department told me that a purchaser has to have a US Social Security Number and US driver’s license for their order to be accepted.

4) I was recently told by a couple of US dealers that they can’t / won’t sell to a Canadian buyer because a) they would forfeit “added value” money from BMWNA and b) a dealer who sells a vehicle that is not initially titled in the US is automatically placed on an internal BMWNA audit list.

I would be glad to know if anyone else has more information or insight into this question.

beewang
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a great way for a US residence to make a few bucks to make the title transfer for a Candian;)

E91
02-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a great way for a US resident to make a few bucks to make the title transfer for a Canadian;)
Hey beewang, maybe there are some Canadians out there who would seriously consider your idea! :)

The attached table compares BMW NA’s options and pricing with those offered by BMW Canada for the 2006 325xi Touring. Similar results apply to the E90 sedan. It also includes the estimated cost to bring the vehicle into Canada. All prices, policies and fees are accurate to the best of my knowledge as of the date of this posting. To show the differences in the available options, the evaluated E91 is almost fully equipped. The savings would be less for a typical car with fewer options.

In summary, someone who is eligible for the BMW NA European Delivery program could bring the E91 into Canada (via the US) for around $10,000 CAD cheaper than another person who goes for the BMW Canada European Delivery program. For someone who purchases the E91 directly from a BMW NA dealer and imports it into Canada, the cost would be approximately $5,500 less than if it was bought from a BMW Canada dealer.

The current pricing difference is due to many factors including:
- Lower USD / CAD exchange rate: 1.14 on February 3, 2006.
- Respective market conditions: lower MSRP set by BMW NA.
- European Delivery: BMW NA’s program is much more generous.
- Dealer competition: many US dealers will quote a nominal discount of 5% to 7% off BMW NA MSRP, but Canadian dealers typically only extend 1% to 2% off Canadian MSRP.

BMW US-spec E90/E91 models are eligible for import into Canada. The process is easy, inexpensive and well-documented:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/Import.html

However, as discussed earlier in this thread, it is a problem for a non-US resident to purchase a vehicle from BMW NA. If this hurdle can be overcome, it is easy for non-residents to register their cars in certain states (such as VT). Other states (such as NH) have reduced or eliminated sales tax on new vehicles, so it may be possible to reduce the initial registration costs before exporting to Canada.

Obviously BMW wants to maintain fairly stable pricing in each market, so I wonder just how large a pricing gap needs to develop before they will take action.

Sorry for the long post – there that proves I’m a Canadian! ;)

virtualrain
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
This is great research... So it's really only possible if you have a friend in the US... If this is the case, how would it work? What would they need to do? Can your US friend, buy the car and you go on the Euro delivery program? Are all the duties and taxes the same even if you are importing a used vs. new vehicle?

3s-a-charm
02-06-2006, 07:02 AM
From what I've heard, only the purchaser of the vehicle can pick up for ED as they will ask for your passport to match up.

That being said, you could have a friend or liason buy a car in the US, do the ED on it, ship it back and you go pick it up. Good way for the "buddy" to get an expense-paid trip to the BMW factory. It would have to be a VERY trusting relationship, though!

Robert A
02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
ED does require a US passport, so I think you're SOL on that one.

My questions are:

Thanks!

Jon Shafer
02-11-2006, 08:23 AM
At the request of member "E91", I have deleted the attached Adobe .pdf file from post #20 above, and will attached an updated file to this post here:

LDV330i
02-11-2006, 09:05 AM
ED does require a US passport, so I think you're SOL on that one.That is not correct. It requires that you be a US resident which is different. I know. I am non-US passport holder and had no problems doing ED. :D

virtualrain
02-12-2006, 01:56 AM
LVD330i... What does US residency mean in this context? How do you prove that and at what point in the process? Can you somehow use a friend for that part?

LDV330i
02-12-2006, 06:39 AM
LVD330i... What does US residency mean in this context? How do you prove that and at what point in the process? Can you somehow use a friend for that part?The easiest definition would be that you are legally allowed to live in the US and work. People that pass this test are US passport holders, greencard holders, and foreign nationals working in the US that are holders of a work visa (such an H-1). Documentation to prove that will have to be submitted at the time you place your ED to order so that BMWNA can verify that you qualify for the program.

You cannot have a stand in to qualify for the program because the qualifying person has to be the person who will hold title to the car and the one picking up in Munich.

jmw
07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I recently bought an Infiniti FX 45 in Las Vegas and brought it back to Alberta. Couple of thoughts that should also apply to BMWs.

First - make sure you buy in a state that does not charge sales tax (since you'll have to pay sales tax anyway when you hit the border). In Nevada, for example, I did not register my FX 45, and did not have to pay sales tax since I was taking the car out of state. Rather, they gave me a "drive off" permit (requires you to take the car out of the state in 15 days). I first registered it in Alberta. I spoke to a couple of highway patrols and DMVs (such as Calif) and they have no issue with you driving through their states without registration/license plates so long as you have the documents of sale.

Many US purchasers buy out of state and import into another state for first registration (Nevada to California is a good example). So there is no reason why a dealer would require you to register when you buy, forcing you to pay 2X for registration. (hence the drive off permit)

Don't know about any requirement that you be a "US" resident for BMW. Certainly wasn't a problem with infiniti. Sounds like smoke, probably to address complaints from Canadian dealers about undercutting their prices. I'll check it out since I'll be buying an X5 for the spouse. I don't know how they can refuse to sell.

If the vehicle is made in North America, then no customs duties apply. If manufactured outside of NA, then a 6% duty applies. Anyone know where the X5 is manufactured?

Assuming that you first register the vehicle in Canada (at least in Alberta), then only the federal car inspection (i.e., daytime running headlights) rule applies. Thus, you don't need to go through the headache and cost of a provincial vehicle inspection.

One issue is financing/leases. Double check with BMW to see if the vehicle can leave the US for Canada under the financing/lease documents. If BMWNA is the lessor in both USA and Canada, this may not be a problem from their end. However, I think under Canadian law you may not be able to register in Canada a vehicle subject to a US lease. [Bought my FX 45 for cash so did not have to face this issue]. Alternatively, if you want to finance, you might consider lining up a loan in advance from a Canadian bank.

Hope this helps.

Again, anyone know where BMW builds the X5?

jmw
07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Further note - someone above said the instrument panel had to be changed to show kilometers as the "primary" method for Quebec. If so, this is a Quebec rule and not a federal or Alberta rule.

jmw
07-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Just found out in this site that the X5 is made in Spartainburg, SC. Thus, no customs duties when importing an X5 into Canada. I anticipate I'll save about CDN $17,500 in purchasing the vehicle in the U.S.

virtualrain
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Further note - someone above said the instrument panel had to be changed to show kilometers as the "primary" method for Quebec. If so, this is a Quebec rule and not a federal or Alberta rule.

Thanks for the insights. With the dollar close to par, it's rediculous to pay BMW Canada prices for cars in Canada. I really need to figure out a scheme to order ED through BMWNA and then bring it back to Canada. That's going to be tough.

The X5 is made in BMW's South Carolina plant along with the Z4.

Also, Oregon is another US state without sales tax AFAIK.

ChrisTO
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
VirtualRain...

I too am debating the purchase of a new car south of the border. The biggest issue is finding a dealer willing to sell to a Canadian and willing to help you with some of the paper work. (based on RIV there are some forms you will need from them)

And gotta love NAFTA - no duty for the X5 and Z4 so only GST+PST which you have to pay regardless if purchased here or in the US. I also understand you don't pay the US State tax (as someone stated above).

So only issue is warranty claims. BMW Canada can be mean about it and not honour it. I know Subaru has made it difficult now where the owner has to pay for the warranty work upfront and ask for the money back from Subaru in the US. But with cost savings of $10k+ how much warranty work can happen in the first 4 years of ownership? $5K at most I would think.

Saintor
07-13-2007, 03:50 PM
A 335i is 10000$CAD cheap in USA than in Canada. 51795$ vs 417XX$ w/exchange rate.

Robert A
07-13-2007, 03:58 PM
It used to be the reverse, and I suspect that BMWCA and BMWNA have agreements in force to prevent cross-border deals. Otherwise, all the Vancouverites would ditch their local dealers and head down to Seattle.

It's quite possible that BMWCA will not honor a warranty on a US car purchased by a Canadian citizen, unless the car is a resale.

A 335i is 10000$CAD cheap in USA than in Canada. 51795$ vs 417XX$ w/exchange rate.

virtualrain
07-13-2007, 04:48 PM
The warranty situation needs further exploration. I'm almost certain that if you buy a vehicle in one country and move to the other, the warranty would be supported... perhaps you could just use this story to get your warranty setup in Canada after buying in the US? I think the same applies to anyone travelling outside their country... warranty coverage is provided anywhere regardless of where the car is from. It would be a major headache for them to keep track of legitimate vs. non-legitimate warranty situations. Surely some loop hole could be exploited.

Even if you can only get warranty coverage if it's a resale, how do they know that? Can you just sell it to your wife for $1 to have it be considered a resale?

Finally, if you can't get warranty coverage in Canada no matter what you do... just save up a few issues and spend a day in the US getting your car fixed ever once in awhile.

And as someone pointed out... is a warranty worth $10K?

Robert A
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't know the answer here, but a few years ago the exchange rate was reversed: BMWs in Canada were cheaper than those sold in the U.S AND you could get more desireable options.

We who reside in the U.S. would have loved to get our cars in Canada except for one thing: The U.S. Customs Service would not allow us to physically import a car until BMW of Canada provided a certification that their cars met U.S. standards. BMWCA would happily oblige if the car was a resale, but I have no idea what was considered a legitimate resale.

The other component is the loss of Full Maintenance, which probably wasn't horrendous, but it was a factor in the equation. Finally, you couldn't lease or finance it, and, to buy a new car in Canada you had to show a Canadian DL and proof of Canadian insurance, meaning that you also had to have a Canadian address.

In the end, it just wasn't worth it, especially since we could fly cheaply to Munich in the aftermath of 9/11 and save 7% on our cars anyway.

It's really hard to beat the system when it comes to cars.

The warranty situation needs further exploration. I'm almost certain that if buy a vehicle in one country and move to the other, the warranty would be supported... perhaps you could just use this story to get your warranty setup in Canada after buying in the US?

Even if you can only get warranty coverage if it's a resale, how do they know that? Can you just sell it to your wife for $1 to have it be considered a resale?

Robert A
07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
That comes into play when you want to convert an EU spec car to US standards, which was very popular in the mid-80s. The warranty WAS worth $10k, because a converted car not only lost its warranty, it also lost a good chunk of resale value because the conversion process was uneven and inconsistent, causing untold risk that used car buyers factored into their purchase decisions. This of course applies to trans-Atlantic cars. Canadian cars just need a speedo change.

[QUOTE

And as someone pointed out... is a warranty worth $10K?[/QUOTE]

virtualrain
07-13-2007, 05:06 PM

The way I look at it, I could probably buy an M3 in the US for the price of a 335i in Canada.

virtualrain
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Don't know the answer here, but a few years ago the exchange rate was reversed: BMWs in Canada were cheaper than those sold in the U.S AND you could get more desireable options.

We who reside in the U.S. would have loved to get our cars in Canada except for one thing: The U.S. Customs Service would not allow us to physically import a car until BMW of Canada provided a certification that their cars met U.S. standards. BMWCA would happily oblige if the car was a resale, but I have no idea what was considered a legitimate resale.

The other component is the loss of Full Maintenance, which probably wasn't horrendous, but it was a factor in the equation. Finally, you couldn't lease or finance it, and, to buy a new car in Canada you had to show a Canadian DL and proof of Canadian insurance, meaning that you also had to have a Canadian address.

In the end, it just wasn't worth it, especially since we could fly cheaply to Munich in the aftermath of 9/11 and save 7% on our cars anyway.

It's really hard to beat the system when it comes to cars.

The only outstanding issue with importing a BMW from the US to Canada is the warranty.

The process for importing is otherwise well documented and understood.... www.riv.ca.

As someone else pointed out, leasing and financing is not possible, so anyone buying a BMW this way will have to have access to a line of credit or cash on hand.

Whether it's worth it or not, will depend on everyone's specific situation. It may not be worth it for you, but it may be worth it to me.

Bob Clevenger
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
To my Western Canadian brethren:
This is just an idea, but it might just work.
1. Visit a Washington State BMW dealer and pick out the model you like.
2. Rent a cheap apartment in Washington for a month.
3. Go to Washington DMV and get a Washington Drivers Licence --- you may have to forfeit your BC Licence. You are now a resident of Washington State.
4. Go to your Washington BMW dealer and buy your new BMW.
5. Spend a week or two enjoying the sights in beautiful Washington and Oregon (or drive back home to BC and go to work for a week or two).
6. Go to BC DMV and tell them that your new job in the US didn't work out and you are moving back to Canada. Forfeit your Washington Drivers Licence and get a replacement BC Drivers Licence.

Technically the car was purchased in the US by a US-resident Canadian citizen who then moved back to Canada.

The same idea should work all across the border, East to West.

dihedral
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM

OK to say "I love you girls."

NOT OK to say "I love you guys."

Your mother would be highly disappointed if you said the second sentence.

neill
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Just found out in this site that the X5 is made in Spartainburg, SC. Thus, no customs duties when importing an X5 into Canada. I anticipate I'll save about CDN $17,500 in purchasing the vehicle in the U.S.

Lots of posts on this site and elsewhere, but to sum up:

1) Warranty does transfer with BMW from US to Canada.
2) The no charge scheduled maintenance portion does not - not a big deal for lower Mainland BC or GTA residents, but not quite as friendly a distance for AB folks.
3) AFAIK, CPO coverage on a US car does not transfer either.
4) Ensure that the specs are apples to apples - for example, CWP is standard in Canada, but extra in the US. Canadian 4.8i has load level suspension standard - not sure about US, etc. The big example was the old E46 M3 - xenons, HK sound were not standard stateside.....
5) The vehicle will be worth less at disposal time than its Canuck equivalent. (ie. if there were two identical vehicles available for sale, colours, options, kms and condition, for the same $ most people would buy the local vehicle..... fewer question marks re history etc.)

JMW - at the end of the day, there are some savings, but I have not seen a comparison yet on an X5 where we were out by 17.5k, all factors considered.

ProRail
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
OK to say "I love you girls."

NOT OK to say "I love you guys."

Your mother would be highly disappointed if you said the second sentence.

I don't think so; she was a stickler about grammar but was very clear about the difference between literal and figurative expressions.

virtualrain
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Lots of posts on this site and elsewhere, but to sum up:

1) Warranty does transfer with BMW from US to Canada.

How do you know this?

bmx335i
08-01-2007, 12:05 PM
to answer your question, yes, it is 100% possible to buy you car in the US and big it back to Canada.. why? because thats exactly what I did.. bought the 335i from a dealership in the US, chicago to be exact... i know for sure you need a paper from the dealership (sent by the ministry, which usually takes 4 weeks to obtain) that says that you are bringing the car aross the boarder for use in canada.. also i believe, not 100% sure.. you need to have a residence in the US.. thankfully i have a friend that lives in chicago and used his residence to say that i live there... other then that i know u can buy a car from the US and bring it to Canada..

Canuck BMW
08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
How do you know this?

I have written confirmation from BMW Canada about this. The warranty is from BMW (Germany), not BMW NA or BMW Canada. Also, Neiil works at a dealership! :)

bmx335i
08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
so if i were to get the 335i in the US i could get service checks in canada, at any dealer with no cost? (for as long as my warenty is of course)

Beemersn
08-04-2007, 12:06 PM
ED does require a US passport, so I think you're SOL on that one.

You don't need a US Passport to US ED. I am a Canadian Citizen with a Canadian Passport but live in US for work purposes. I was able to do US ED with my Canadian passport but I have a US SSN#

beewang
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
You don't need a US Passport to US ED. I am a Canadian Citizen with a Canadian Passport but live in US for work purposes. I was able to do US ED with my Canadian passport but I have a US SSN#

One must be a US residence to do an ED thru BMWUSA. I think that is what Bob was trying to say;)

dihedral
08-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Same to you, fella.

LOL

Lawrence 123
08-04-2007, 07:21 PM
You could be residing at the local Holiday Inn, and if you give them cash for the car they will sell it to you no matter your where you came from. However if you buy in a State that has tax you will pay it. And good luck getting it back when you cross the border with the car. Supposedly possible though.

There is a 6.1% duty at the border plus some other fees for airconditioning battery etc, a few hundred.
Then 6% GST and whatever the Provincial tax might be in your Province ie. Alberta zero British Columbia between 7 and 10% depending on the car value.

All figures based on what the Ferderal Government thinks the car is worth! Also you have to prove no recalls outstanding.

There is probably more petty regulations as well.

For ED you have to be a resident of the US and prove it with paid utility bills etc as well as local drivers license. The passport is for Munich so it does not matter what nationality you are as long as you are a legal resident of the state in whih you buy the car.

So get US resident to buy the car with your money (no lease or terms of course). In which case you need a lot of trust OR a lot of money that you can afford to lose!

cwsqbm
08-05-2007, 06:38 AM
so if i were to get the 335i in the US i could get service checks in canada, at any dealer with no cost? (for as long as my warenty is of course)

The warranty is BMW AG, but the full maintenance plan is US only, so no.

neill
08-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Nope - the warranty transfers, the no-charge sched maintenance does not....
(edit - just read the last post, so this would be a dupl!)

AzNMpower32
08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Useful advice:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

bythehour
08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
A guy in my condo bought his 330 in Chicago and brought it back to Toronto. According to him:

1. You can stipulate with the dealer that you are buying an out-of-state car (no state taxes). You will have to pay for a temporary plate and insurance.

2. As stated above, you may need a US SSN (or a TIN). This is more a technicality to satisfy BMWNA (to make it harder for us dang Canucks from just hopping the border and buying all the Yankee BMWs).

3. Getting across the border can be a logistics nightmare; it depends on your luck of the draw. Some agents don't care, others may give you a hassle.

4. You have to have your car certified to Canadian standards. For the E90, the only thing he had to do was to pay $50 for the DRL to be activated. He didn't need to swap out the instrument cluster; metric doesn't have to be the primary marking.

5. The maintenance warranty is not automatically covered in Canada. You have to pay upfront and submit your expenses to BMWNA in the US.

btw, my buddy saved about C$7,000 on his 330i

graider
08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
what about buying a used 2002 m3 from a private seller? do i still have to be a resident of US?

Bob Clevenger
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
No, You can buy any car you want to here, but taking it home is between you and Canada.

bimmercontrol
09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
would just like to give you guys an fyi that may save you $500

bmw will no longer provide the recall clearance letter for free and will force you to go to a canadian dealer who will charge you $500 for the letter and a minor useless inspection

i avoided this by contacting a us dealer and asking for a "warranty vehicle inquiry" . make sure to ask that the dealer put their stamp on the form and fax it to you. this form can be used instead of the recall letter that bmw canada will want $500 for. i have done this and it does work, the government will accept the warranty vehicle inquiry as long as it is from an authorized bmw dealer and is stamped. just make sure the form states "no open campaigns" meaning your vehicle has no recalls that have not been dealt with, if so then you must deal with that before submitting the form to the registrar of imported vehicles

p.s make sure to send the warranty vehicle inquiry to the registrar of imported vehicles as soon as possible as they will not provide you with a "form 2" (the federal inspection form) until you do so, they just emailed me mine when i faxed them the warranty sheet

EVERTONIAN6
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks all... As pointed out in my OP, every detail related to importing a car into Canada is covered at www.riv.ca including required modifications, documentation, process, etc.

What of course is not on that site are specifics related to how BMW handles this kind of transaction on the sale and warranty side which is where I really could use some input from knowledgeable folks. I guess since this is likely a rare transaction, I shouldn't expect a lot of first-hand experience to come forth quickly on this.

So to shift the topic of this thread a little... Have any other Canadians considered buying a BMW in the US? If not, is it because you feel the savings don't justify the hassle or is it some other reason?

Cheers,
- VR.

Hi there. I bought my 330xi in Oregon last year. I saved $6000 after all was said and done. I was told by BMW Canada that they would do the warranty work on my car but not perforrm the free maintainance. Now that there are more people trying to save money the dealers in the US cannot or will not sell new cars to Canadians. Also i do not know if BMW Canada will still offer to do the warranty work. I am interested in selling my 330xi and going south to buy a 335xi but will probably have to have a friend buy the car for me and then i will buy it from him as used. The question of warranty still needs to be answered. I have had my 330xi for 18months and so far have not needed the dealer (it is a BMW after all) I have taken it in to the dealer once for an oil change. I only have 15,000klms on the car and it does not need its first service yet so i would have paid for that oil change in the US also.
In my humble opinion it is worth the little bit of hassle to buy south. I have not had any issues with the whole proccess and would do it again once i find a way of buying the new car in the US.

Paul B.

dohmer
10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I just got our car from Illinois (in august) and everything seemed to be very straightforward. I wonder if the policy has changed since then as some people seem to be having more headaches importing cars. I saved at least 14k on my X3, so it's definitely worth the hassle of going down there. Even if I paid for th oil change and maintenance, I'm still way ahead. Go Free Trade!

vedeikis
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
If you want to purchase a 2007 or 2008 X5 that is not a pre owned vehicle, you are not able to export this vehicle for minimum of 1 year. Dealerships will have you sign an legal document for non export outside of the US.

pme7303
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I have posted a couple of comments on other threads about importing from the US. Everything has gone OK with my import of a 2007 328i coupe - until today that is! I hit the snag with the $500 for the recall clearance letter about 2 months ago when RIV told me my RCL from the Las Vegas dealer who inspected my car was not going to work - it had to come from BMW Canada. Luckily, I saw another forum that said a warranty vehicle enquiry would work. I phone RIV and they said it would and I just happened to have one from the LV dealer so I faxed it and got my inspection forms within the hour. Canadian Tire did their thing, faxed the inspection form to RIV and I was pretty much done. I registered the car (had to also get an Alberta safety inspection) and have been driving it for a couple of months. Last week I got a Notice of Delinquent File from RIV saying they hadn't received an inspection and the file would be suspended, blah blah blah and my only way out was to pay more money to reactivate the file or send them proof that I had the vehicle inspected. I called them right away and they said fax the form in (which I had a copy of Thank God!) and everything would be taken care of. Today I see a letter from RIV and I'm thinking it must be the confirmation and a sticker. Not quite. It's a Notice of Suspended File with all kinds of threats about fines and my file now in the hands of Transport Canada for enforcement - WTF!!!! I could strangle something! Now I get to call these clowns again to try and sort this out. This time I'm talking to the top dog at RIV. I wonder if I can sue for mental anguish?

pme7303
10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Update on my experience with RIV. I spoke to a RIV representative yesterday and told them about the 2 threatening letters I received. He cut me off before I got too wound up and told me they had received the inspection report and had mailed out my compliance sticker so I should ignore the letters. I told him I wasn't appreciative of the way they do business. They don't check with the applicant whether an inspection was done, they just assume it wasn't and start firing off the heavy handed letters. Somewhere between Canadian Tire and RIV my inspection form was lost and I was the one who got read the riot act! Anyway, I will breathe easier when I actually get the sticker in the mail - hopefully next week.

dohmer
10-27-2007, 10:10 PM
sorry to hear you had it rough with RIV. the good thing is the sticker is on its way and that is all that matters. My 2007 X3 import process have been by the book and no hassle at all. I guess I should count my blessings.

Regarding taxes, I only paid 7% tax in BC. Not sure where the 10% came from from the earlier post, but I assume it's luxury tax. I wasn't charge that at all even though my price was over 47k. An added bonus :)

I was surprised to see that the price of the 2008 X3 in bmw.ca go up. I would think that with all the talk about people buying in the states, they would at least go down by a tad. Oh well, I guess it's up to the consumer to show them what we think about their new pricing scheme.

snoopy
11-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Could some of you who successfully bought the car from US share some of your buying experience? e.g. did you pay at MSRP or few a few thousands below MSRP? If you are buying from WA, I guess you don't need to pay state tax as you are exporting back to Canada? Is there any dealership still willing to sell to Canadians? Is it okay to refer to us through email?

Thanks!:yikes: