PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a BMW?

tcoz
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
This morning my son's wife was driving her Infiniti G35 sedan (2004 w/ 42k miles) to work and the VDC light went on (same as DSC in a BMW). A couple of miles up the road, all of a sudden, the wheels began to randomly brake and then release in no particular order. Sometimes only one and other times more than one. She had a difficult time controlling the car, but eventually was able to pull off to the side of the road. By that time the speedo and all gauges had stopped functioning as well. During this time she was not able to disable the VDC system by holding the button for 2 seconds. Fortunately, the VDC in that car only controls braking to the wheels and does not affect torque applied as the BMW system does.

The dealer immediately sent a towtruck out, but no word yet.

I've never heard of anything like this happening and am curious as to whether anyone else has.

Ågent99
01-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes, this happend to my 2001 530i once but that was in part due to some senor on the steering getting knocked out of whack.

After an alignment after a side-swiped collision, I noticed the front brakes braking hard and the DSC light going off an on. The computer thought the car was in some kind of a high-g turn or something.

Had to be towed and that sensor adjusted or something or other.

Freestyler
01-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Never in the BMW -yet!

But in my Benz days i was sitting in the waiting lounge at the dealership, talking to a guy who was less than happy with his new Benz.

He had been cruising the german autobahn at about 140 mph when the Benz single handedly decided to smack the brakes to a full stop..! :yikes:
And as if that wasn't enough, the stubborn car wouldn't let go of the brakes again. So he just sat there in the fast lane (very fast lane) of the autobahn, unable to move or do anything but hope that he wouldn't get obliterated by a Porsche or whatever coming from behind at 160 mph. :eeps:

He finally got the benz to release the brakes by turning the ignition off and on again and made it to the shoulder.
I can't quote any of the things he had to say about the designers of that braking system. I would immediately get banned for profanity. But you can properbly imagine..