PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder #5 Misfire

Evil Spoonman
01-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey folks.

Looking at buying an E36 1997 BMW M3 here. There's a cheap one around that is in good order, except it has the check engine light on and the ODB2 outputs a "Cylinder #5 Misfire" error.

Now I'm thinking this might just be a spark plug. The car is at about 95,000 miles, so it's quite feasible. If so I'd just go in there and replace all the spark plugs. But before I buy it, I figured I'd ask you folks if you knew of anything else that could be likely issue causing that error. The car does run rough 'sometimes', apparently, though I have no idea when that 'sometimes' is.

Any help much appreciated - Julien :)

MATT95M3
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
the plug may be bad which of course is an easy fix, possible that the plug isnt torqued properly, which may allow the car to run well at high rpm but possibly poorly at low rpm, also a common problem is a bad valve cover gasket which allows engine oil to slowly drip into the plug well, when the hot oil drips in the well, it can short out the plug. then theres the possibility of a bad ignition pack or ground but if i were you i would ask the seller to change the plug and be sure its torqued to 18 ft/lbs if there is oil there you can't miss it good luck!

Borgiulo
01-25-2006, 11:20 PM
h

Borgiulo
01-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Thats hella funny, my roomate just bought that M3 for $7,500 cash money.
He changed the spark plugs(problem solved)
The car ****in rips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyFool
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
yes i did... you can see my signature... it was a quick $10 fix, now the car runs like brand new. i also got lucky and talked him down to $7500 since i brought cash... (Borgiulo's idea)

whitem3/4
01-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey folks.

Looking at buying an E36 1997 BMW M3 here. There's a cheap one around that is in good order, except it has the check engine light on and the ODB2 outputs a "Cylinder #5 Misfire" error.

Now I'm thinking this might just be a spark plug. The car is at about 95,000 miles, so it's quite feasible. If so I'd just go in there and replace all the spark plugs. But before I buy it, I figured I'd ask you folks if you knew of anything else that could be likely issue causing that error. The car does run rough 'sometimes', apparently, though I have no idea when that 'sometimes' is.

Any help much appreciated - Julien :)

Had this same error message in mine last May. It was the Spark Plug Rubber Connector Boot which is the rubber boot that connects the spark plug to the ignition coil. They get old and cracked from the heat/cool cylces and create a short to the block instead of the plug. You could pull it out and see if it looks bad. Its about a $10 part. Other misfire things could be bad plug or coil pack.

Evil Spoonman
02-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Score man. Total score. Yeah I hoped it was the plug. Ended up not approaching the deal because another one surfaced. Glad to hear I wasn't totally off though. Hope to see you rippin around the area. :)

yes i did... you can see my signature... it was a quick $10 fix, now the car runs like brand new. i also got lucky and talked him down to $7500 since i brought cash... (Borgiulo's idea)

Mervon
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Are you serious, you got a 97 M3 for $7500. Wow Congrats on that, I live in San Diego and have been searchin quite a bit for a M3, I could never find anythin that cheap

CrazyFool
02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
yes i took a chance and i was very very lucky...