PDA

View Full Version : steptronic vs. SMG?

rwfisher
01-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Apparently the new M roadster won't offer SMG, only 6-speed manual or Steptronic with paddles. Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the Steptronic transmission and SMG? Is driving a steptronic (shifting manually) vastly different than driving a SMG?

Ågent99
01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
I am not very experienced with the steptronic but I have driven one. I also owned a 545i/SMG for about 10 months before selling it (see sig).

They are world's apart. Do a search...lottsa talk in the 5-series forum on SMG. Just know that the SMG is a real manual transmission...the car simply operates the clutch for you. The Step is a true automatic and thus you have a delay in shifting from when you toggle and when the tranny shifts.

The delay in the SMG is significantly less.

I think the SMG is more suited to folks who wish their manual could be put in automatic mode every once in a while or during the daily hellish commute but still want a decent manual for fun.

I think those who like their automatic may find the SMG ill-suited to their tastes if they leave the SMG in auto mode a lot. It just shifts much differently than an automatic.

Finally, SMG has a decent learning curve to it. It takes time to learn it and get it working for smooth shifts. I came from a manual and actually hated the SMG and regretted getting it for the first few hours in the car. A couple days...even weeks later, I really learned how to use the SMG and fell in love with it.

I can almost guarantee that you will hate the SMG if you take it out for a 10 minute spin and the dealer...if he comes with you...doesn't know much about it to assist you with it.

KrisL
01-25-2006, 07:41 AM
What Agent99 said.

If "1" on a 1-10 scale is a manual tranny and "10" is an automatic tranny, then the SMG is no more than a 2 or 3. They are absolutely vastly different.

ilkhan4
01-25-2006, 07:53 AM
FYI, the new M Roadster is only coming with a 6-speed manual. The Z4, however, can be had with a 6-speed manual or Steptronic.

Fast Bob
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Although I welcome advances in technology, I can`t help thinking of the SMG as a major potential headache somewhere down the line....if my commute included beastly traffic jams, I would probably opt for the Step....otherwise, the 6-speed manual would suit my needs just fine.

Regards,
Bob

tierfreund
01-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Apparently the new M roadster won't offer SMG, only 6-speed manual or Steptronic with paddles. Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the Steptronic transmission and SMG? Is driving a steptronic (shifting manually) vastly different than driving a SMG?

The M Roadster will not be available with Steptronic or SMG. Only Manual.

Only the lesser non-M Z4 and Z4 coupes will be available with Step. As for the differences between step and SMG, please search. There are tons of threads that explain, another one will do no good.

Jeff_DML
01-25-2006, 09:51 AM
if need to ask what the difference is then you should be get a steptronic:D

Pinecone
01-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Actually most people who get true SMG (not the watered down SSG offered in non-M cars) get it for serious driving and track work.

They are fine in traffic, unless you have trouble flicking your finger for shifts, or you want to drink coffee, talk ont h cell phone, tune the radio and drive totally with your knees.

Owning an E46 M3 SMG and manual cars for close to 35 years, I would say that autos are a 1, manuals a 10, and SMG an 11 or 12.

tierfreund
01-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I´ve been wondering lately, there seemed to be a void in my life. NOW I know what was missing:

Time for another SMG Thread :rofl:

MdCar
01-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I have ordered 650 conv and have another week to finalize any changes. Been driving a Honda S2000 6 speed and really wrestling with 6 speed vs. SMG. Unfortunately only been able to test drive a 5 with SMG around the dealer's test loop. Previous 6 speeds who moved to SMG, would appreciate your candid comments.

benzwit20s
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
stupid question but i dont even know how to drive a manuel, i have a step so you shift up every 3000 rpm's right? and when do you shift down? doesnt really matter in step does it because it will just shift for you if you mess it up right?

Malibubimmer
01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
stupid question but i dont even know how to drive a manuel, i have a step so you shift up every 3000 rpm's right? and when do you shift down? doesnt really matter in step does it because it will just shift for you if you mess it up right?
I don't think Manuel, who is from Central or South America, wants to be driven. So it's a good thing you don't know how to drive him. Also sounds like you don't know how to drive a Steptronic. Why limit yourself to 3,000 RPM when the torque power band is higher. Oh, maybe you meant you didn't know how to drive a "manuAl." Well, that's also not how to drive a Step. Go to at least 4,500 RPM when driving Manuel (poor beastard) or step.

Pinecone
01-29-2006, 03:05 AM
I have ordered 650 conv and have another week to finalize any changes. Been driving a Honda S2000 6 speed and really wrestling with 6 speed vs. SMG. Unfortunately only been able to test drive a 5 with SMG around the dealer's test loop. Previous 6 speeds who moved to SMG, would appreciate your candid comments.

Do a search here, LOTS fo threads with comments by people who have gone to SMG. Watch out for comments form those who don't actually own and drive one, and maybe never have even test driven one.

Also SMG II in the E46 M3 is not the same thing as SMG in the non-M cars.

But in an M5/6 or E90 M3, there is no doubt I would get SMG.