PDA

View Full Version : M3 Power Steering pump

Thomas2006
01-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay...this takes the power steering question to the next level. I have had some power steering problems due to leaks which was confirmed by B Imports. They have refilled the fluid but now I have just refilled the fluid but now My steering wheel is super hard to turn. I was told that the power steering pump has burnt out:cry: and that I would need another one and a possible replace of the hoses or it will happen again. My question is.....am i being gouged for a new pwer steering pump or do I just need to replace the hoses. I got a quote for an aftermarket pump for another place for $114.00 but the guy told me on the phone that it aftermarket parts are inferior and that I would lose active steering if i use this part. Is this true? Should I spend the $292.00 on a new power steering pump?:(

Pinecone
01-26-2006, 03:15 AM
a) You don't HAVE active steering.

b) Some aftermarket parts are inferior, some are the same part sold by BMW.

c) Without knowing WHY the pump went out, you cannot say for sure you need to replace the hoses.

Thomas2006
01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks Pinecone. I guess I need to take it back to the shop and have them prop it up and tell me just whats up. The guy at the front desk is being very lazy. I just found a used OEM power steering pump for $200.00 today.

Thomas2006
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Well....I took the car in yesterday and they told me that i need a power steering pump and a high pressure hose as well as a low pressure hose. I guess I will have to buy the part but definitely not from BMW. The retail is $400! He also mentioned that I needed a water pump and thermostat housing. Are the water pump and thermostat housing parts that wear out often?

thilton59
02-03-2006, 03:36 AM
the m50 plastic thermostate housings are known to fail, as are the water pumps. however, if you're going to replace those, don't replace them with oe, cause they still have the same faults. there is an aluminum therm. housing and a much better water pump that's built like a brick sh*t house, both are available at bimmerworld.

fun2drive
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
A good deal has to do with how many miles you have on the car. If you have around 70K then a new water pump and t stat housing and t stat is a good idea.

In regard to the hoses, where are they leaking? It has been my experience that the hoses leak around the chrimp clamp which is the steel chrimp righ around the steel hose going into the rubber line. I have also been able to fix these by putting a quality clamp right over the chrimp. The chrimps clamps lose tension after time and thus leak. Is the pump really shot or is it just full of air? Does it squeal like heck? If so then it might be either full of air or worn out. Stiff steering when the car is cold could mean a worn out steering rack which is not very common on an e36 but is on an e30 BMW.
The BMW power steering pumps hardly ever wear out so a low mileage used one or a good rebuild would be fine in my opinion.

Oh by the way a quality clamp doesn't mean the auto parts store. They might work but you need to tighten these down very tight so I recommend a marine store like West Marine. They sell a much better clamp that is up to the job. Look at the clamp at ehe marine store and you will see that the teeth and worm gear engagement is much higher quality and the auto parts store ones are fine for your radiator but not up to this job...
Hope this helps some....

Thomas2006
02-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Thilton and Fun2Drive....
Thanks for the info. It was perfect. My mechanic looked at the Power steering rack and said that it was fine for now but I needed that power steering pump before any more damage was done. Finding a low mileage pump should not be the problem but in terms of mileage I have 93,000 miles on the car. I bought the car last May with 72,000 on it and now I am at 93,000 so I definitely drive the hell out of the 1999 M3.
In terms of the clamp...I will definitely check out West Marine. I will definitely keep you fellas posted.

Thomas2006
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Fellas,
Thanks for the info. I found a great Bimmer spot in North Georgia. I got a new pump for a great price and I was told that my hoses were fine and that I needed new clamps (just what you guys told me). I got the new clamps and now I am rolling in what feels like a new E36 M3. I am going to replace the water pump and themostat housing next and then I have to replace the AC belt which is worn. I am definitely taking my car back to this place. I got $800 worth of work done for about $250 and it is dealer quality. I cant argue with that!

aznblood
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
what is the name of the place Thomas?

Thomas2006
04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
The shop is called Bavarian Imports owned by Mike Lemcke