PDA

View Full Version : SEMA statement suggests adding supercharger doesn't void factory new car warranty?

gixxer
01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I've done some research and according to this thread at,

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t91193.html

, fitting supercharger to your car, espcailly from manufacturer like VF Engineering that is SEMA member, should not void new car factory warranty.

Looks like BMW is also a SEMA member.

This is really interesting piece of information (at least to me, since until now i haven't heard of SEMA stuff, not really show what they are about, sort of like consumer protection agency for automotive industry???).

Anyone has any comments, feedback, opinion, experience on this?

Thanks much!

tim330i
01-25-2006, 08:58 PM
There is no such thing as a "bmw warranty". There are warranties on the individual parts, like the motor, tranny, interior, etc.

Putting a SC on a car will void any warranty work on the motor and probably the power train but if your window regulator goes out then that is still covered.

For more details read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

Tim

jimmyz2
01-28-2006, 12:57 PM
It is very important if you have any mods on your warrentied car to have a GREAT relationship with a BMW dealer.I was reading over on a M5 forum where a dealer denied a claim because of an after market MUFFLER.:yikes:

tim330i
01-30-2006, 09:09 AM
It is very important if you have any mods on your warrentied car to have a GREAT relationship with a BMW dealer.I was reading over on a M5 forum where a dealer denied a claim because of an after market MUFFLER.:yikes:
Which is why you have to know the law. The dealership will tell you anything, but that doesn't mean they are right.

Tim

Penforhire
01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Knowing that law doesn't magically solve your problem. Who has the time and money to get a lawyer involved in warranty repair?

I had several warranty fights with GM over mostly small stuff on my C5 Z06 because of unrelated mods. GM's hot-line answer was always, "try another Chevy dealer's service department."

tim330i
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Most of the time from what I have seen (on the forums) people know know the law and continue to push in a polite fashion get the repairs they should without a lawyer.

Tim