PDA

View Full Version : New BMW owner- Do I need an alarm?

sonicsguru
01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I just bought a 2006 325i ZPP. Should I get a car alarm?

Thanks
New PROUD owner

milobloom242
01-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Ventura ain't Jersey City so maybe not.

Spectre
01-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Considering the car already has anti-theft protection built in, the alarm would mostly be used just to annoy your neighbors when something set it off. ;) So no, it's not really necessary. And as long as the clown nose flashes, the effect is close enough as a deterent to theft.

whiskey.org
01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
you don't need an alarm,

but you should practice honking, flipping people off and cutting in and out of traffic

it's the BMW way!!

2006330i
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Considering the car already has anti-theft protection built in, the alarm would mostly be used just to annoy your neighbors when something set it off. ;) So no, it's not really necessary. And as long as the clown nose flashes, the effect is close enough as a deterent to theft.

And since you can't get the clown nose to flash without installing the alarm...

I personally did not feel comfortable without an alarm and the flashing clown nose. If a pro is good enough to steal the car, he'll certainly be good enough to disable the alarm. But, for amateurs trying to get into the car for whatever might be in it, joyriders, etc. the flashing might be sufficient deterrent to try the next car over. In any case, I bought an alarm and will install it myself. For $250, I'll sleep better.

Fast Bob
01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
And since you can't get the clown nose to flash without installing the alarm...

**Not true....the dealer can activate the Clown Nose without an alarm installed.

[/QUOTE]I personally did not feel comfortable without an alarm and the flashing clown nose. If a pro is good enough to steal the car, he'll certainly be good enough to disable the alarm. But, for amateurs trying to get into the car for whatever might be in it, joyriders, etc. the flashing might be sufficient deterrent to try the next car over. In any case, I bought an alarm and will install it myself. For $250, I'll sleep better.[/QUOTE]

** For good, inexpensive security, try the Autolock:
http://store.yahoo.com/imezak/1640.html
A strong, hardened steel device which disables the brake pedal...(BTW, this is the lowest price I`ve ever seen for the Autolock)

**Regards,
Bob

Malibubimmer
01-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks
New PROUD owner
No. It would be silly to do so. Ditto "undercoating."

NaTuReB0Y
01-26-2006, 09:20 PM
while you're at it.....get leather seat too........
you know how BMW love to make money of us for ****s that should be standard!

Malibubimmer
01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
while you're at it.....get leather seat too........
you know how BMW love to make money of us for ****s that should be standard!
Natureboy - You sure have a way for writing. Is English your 4th language? I actually think I understand about 33% of what you "wrote."

NaTuReB0Y
01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Natureboy - You sure have a way for writing. Is English your 4th language? I actually think I understand about 33% of what you "wrote."

the blank is.... S H I T S......does that make more sense?

sonicsguru
01-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I'll probably just go without the alarm and make sure the clown nose blinks.

-Proud 2006 325i ZPP owner

milobloom242
01-27-2006, 08:35 AM
That's a great way to go. The corner lamps light up when the car is locked and the clown nose starts blinking.

I'll probably just go without the alarm and make sure the clown nose blinks.

-Proud 2006 325i ZPP owner

Penforhire
01-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I thought I saw this hashed this out before and the clown nose cannot be made to blink/flash in the e90 with the OEM alarm installed?

CALI-LUV
01-27-2006, 01:13 PM
i have alarm, is it supposed to blink after alarm install or do i still have to get it activated?

e60lover
01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey, enjoy your new bimmer! And no, I dont think that you absolutely need an alarm because of BMW's rolling code technolgy that constantly changes the code so that if your key does not match this code the car will not let you gain access. This rolling code is almost imposable. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong about how the rolling code works.

Also, I dont think that the comfrimation code is a must either because BMW door locks have always been louder than other makes. Even with my OEM equipped e60 alarm, I can still easily hear the locks before the comfromation tone. But on the other hand, if you park with your windows down, I believe the OEM BMW alarm will add the motion sensor (like the e60) so when it detects even a paper thin object into the cabin, the alarm sounds.

Your choice and I hope you will enjoy your new 325 ZPP!

-e60lover

e60lover
01-28-2006, 11:28 AM
i have alarm, is it supposed to blink after alarm install or do i still have to get it activated?

I am pretty sure that you need to get it activated by your BMW Center. ;)

Malibubimmer
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
the blank is.... S H I T S......does that make more sense?
Yes. That got me up to a 50% comprehension level. Your use of prepositions and lack of definite articles in your writing makes me think your original language was Russian. Am I close?

PotatoAddict
01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes, you need a car alarm. Not only BMWs, but any make, model. The video at the following link will explain why...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/carthieframpage.html

Note that none of the cars in that video had alarms go off.

If the whole car is what the thief is after, then you don't need an alarm as much because of the built-in disabling features. However, even with those features, a determined thief could still tow your car away. But not all thieves want your car... some want what's inside (money, radio, purse, etc).

Turn somebody else's mistake into your advantage. If your car (with alarm) is parked next to someone else's car with no alarm and a thief arrived to break into one... which car do you think he would break into?

NaTuReB0Y
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Yes. That got me up to a 50% comprehension level. Your use of prepositions and lack of definite articles in your writing makes me think your original language was Russian. Am I close?

first of all....you're not an official grammar cop roaming the internet; therefore,
i do not have to write to your liking or answer any of your questions.

keep it real! :thumbup:

govtec
01-28-2006, 07:33 PM
first of all....you're not an official grammar cop roaming the internet; therefore,

chill out power ranger. malibu never claimed to be a grammar cop. he only questioned ur sentence structure.

NaTuReB0Y
01-28-2006, 07:41 PM
chill out power ranger. malibu never claimed to be a grammar cop. he only questioned ur sentence structure.

yeah?.....like how many people in here write in proper english structure?

this ain't no english class..........

Malibubimmer
01-28-2006, 08:41 PM

Ahh. So you can actually write like a person who learned in English. And you can actually communicate in such a way as to let other people know what you mean. Interesting that you save it for a gratuitous, nasty comment to someone who is struggling to figure out what the hell you are saying. Now that I know you are intentonally dumbing down what you write, I'll simply ignore what you write in the future, "natureboy." Screw with someone else with your silly language bullsh!t.

By the way, this expression of my belief of what you are, since you've been screwing with us, shouldn't be difficult to understand: :asshole:

Malibubimmer
01-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Double post.

2006330i
01-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Yes, you need a car alarm. Not only BMWs, but any make, model. The video at the following link will explain why...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/carthieframpage.html

Note that none of the cars in that video had alarms go off.

If the whole car is what the thief is after, then you don't need an alarm as much because of the built-in disabling features. However, even with those features, a determined thief could still tow your car away. But not all thieves want your car... some want what's inside (money, radio, purse, etc).

Turn somebody else's mistake into your advantage. If your car (with alarm) is parked next to someone else's car with no alarm and a thief arrived to break into one... which car do you think he would break into?

That's why I put an alarm on my car - hoping a thief will break the window of the car next to mine that isn't blinking.

MMME30W
01-29-2006, 04:42 AM

Thanks
New PROUD owner

No.

Immobilizer, yes, alarm no.

NaTuReB0Y
01-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Ahh. So you can actually write like a person who learned in English. And you can actually communicate in such a way as to let other people know what you mean. Interesting that you save it for a gratuitous, nasty comment to someone who is struggling to figure out what the hell you are saying. Now that I know you are intentonally dumbing down what you write, I'll simply ignore what you write in the future, "natureboy." Screw with someone else with your silly language bullsh!t.

By the way, this expression of my belief of what you are, since you've been screwing with us, shouldn't be difficult to understand: :asshole:

You're welcome to join my class any day of the week..........I'm a English teacher.