PDA

View Full Version : Ipaq Tom Tom For 3 Series

Groatsy
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been trying to pull off a really neat ipaq install in my 3 series (not had it long and want to make it perfect). Does anyone know of any good (free) sat nav sofware, or maybe a download site for some? OK so not technically a BMW question, but i thought someone might be abel to help?

Thanks Guys!

BmW745On19's
01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
There is no good free navigation software. Your best bet is Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2002-2006

andy_thomas
01-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been trying to pull off a really neat ipaq install in my 3 series (not had it long and want to make it perfect). Does anyone know of any good (free) sat nav sofware, or maybe a download site for some? OK so not technically a BMW question, but i thought someone might be abel to help?

Thanks Guys!
You won't find the software for free, but you can find Tomtom software pretty cheaply from most resellers if you are prepared to buy your own GPS receiver. Figure on 80 for the software and 35 for a wired GPS receiver, incl. taxes.

Alternatively, ditch the iPaq and daft gooseneck vibro-gizmo, and get a Garmin i3. Smaller screen, but extremely readable, very easy to add POIs (such as speed camera databases) and runs off of batteries. Boots in seconds, and won't blow its own brains out if you run out of power, unlike any PDA pre-Windows Mobile 5.0. Also, it's only 84 (excl government sales taxation) if you buy from a branch of Somerfield in the next couple of days - they should have some stock left, although at this price you'll have to be quick.

LegoGT
01-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks Guys!
You can get Pocket Streets and Trips almost anywhere for free (have it on my phone and iPAQ). You just have to create the maps using either MapPoint or Streets and Trips... actually, if you search you can even find maps of major cities posted online for free.

Other than that you'll probably have to pay for software. If you go that route you should check out iGuidance or Destinator.