PDA

View Full Version : power washer

andysat
01-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi guys! are there any pros and cons of washing your cars with a home power washer?:dunno:

milobloom242
01-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro: your car will certainly have loose dirt blasted off of it
Cons: the water blasting will actually cause marring or swirling in the paint

It's best for the paint to let the water only shower the car.

andysat
01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
cheers mate!:thumbup:

icemanjs4
01-28-2006, 03:29 PM
For more info - check out the detailing forum on bimmerfest. You'll find lots of good information including - why not to powerwash your car, and even more useful, how to properly wash your car (ala two bucket method).

SergioK
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Cons: the water blasting will actually cause marring or swirling in the paint. Where'd you hear this from? :tsk: Swirls and spider scratches in paint are not caused by water, but by towels.

Maximus57
01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Where'd you hear this from? :tsk: Swirls and spider scratches in paint are not caused by water, but by towels.

I agree. The power washer causing swirl marks sounds like BS. It's really funny, most people on this site are so anal about wahing and waxing their cars, ( I am too) but you'll turn around and use a California duster on it!:rofl: :rofl:

PotatoAddict
01-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree. The power washer causing swirl marks sounds like BS. It's really funny, most people on this site are so anal about wahing and waxing their cars, ( I am too) but you'll turn around and use a California duster on it!:rofl: :rofl:

Ah, the California car duster... I laugh everytime someone mentions that. It's great for the recently washed car to remove naturally fallen dust on a car that stayed in the garage the whole time (no more than 24-48 hours old), but suicidal to use it on a car that's been out a lot with lots of dirt, mud, bird droppings, road debris, tar, insects. Package says "the dirtier it gets, the better it works..." should say "the dirtier it gets, the more swirl marks you'll have on your car." If you have to rub your duster back and forth on your car to remove the "dust," then it's not dust, it's dirt, and you should stop. :tsk:

Oops, I'm going off topic now so I'll stop.

Uncle Fester
01-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi guys! are there any pros and cons of washing your cars with a home power washer?:dunno:
Don't do it if you have a convertible!

milobloom242
01-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Where'd you hear this from? :tsk: Swirls and spider scratches in paint are not caused by water, but by towels.

ignorance is bliss

milobloom242
01-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Think about it. Take some water, atomize it inside of a cannon and impale your car with those tiny little beads of h2o. Repeat once every month for a year and see what happens. Maybe it won't cause swirls like wiping the car with dirty rags, but it will certainly contribute.

SergioK
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I never said anything about pressurized water, I only mentioned water and towels. Don't assume I was talking about water that has been "atomize it inside of a cannon" cause you know what you sound like when you ASSume.

But, if you really think water will cause swirls in paint, use a towel on your car instead. :p

MMME30W
01-28-2006, 07:25 PM

With my driveway power washer I will guar-an-dang-tee you I can make whatever mark you want in your paint -- I can probably write my name in the side of your car if you like.

We need to make sure the original poster's perspective is taken - in the U.K., it is very common to buy low-power (say <600 psi) pressure washers (e.g. Karcher or similar) specifically for washing windows, boats, caravans (trailers to you 'mericans) -- and cars.

So what he's talking about is not a 2500 psi deck washer, but one that is designed for this application.

In which case, personally, no, I would not use a low-power washer but that's just me.

I rather suspect constant use of one will do no more harm and proabably more good than not washing the car at all.

:D

MMME30W
01-28-2006, 07:26 PM

Andy - :wave:

What brand did you have in mind using?

Are you buying it locally?

Just how cold is it in Kingston, at the moment? :)

Pinecone
01-29-2006, 03:07 AM
I remember R&T doing a test many years ago that proved that car washes (bursh type) do less paint damage than hand washing. Does anyone pay attention? NOPE, they go on with their preconceived notions of what is RIGHT.

docarut
01-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Guys-I have been using Karcher pressure washers for greater than 12 years and have not had negative effects. I tend to do this once a week each vehicle and with less dirt adhered in a week this is done rather quickly. I hook the washer up to de-ioned water tanks and do not have to worry about mineral deposits. I would hate to go back to the bucket method. Everyone has there favorite method of car washing-do what is most comfortable.

Bob:thumbup:

milobloom242
01-29-2006, 09:58 AM
I never said anything about pressurized water, I only mentioned water and towels. Don't assume I was talking about water that has been "atomize it inside of a cannon" cause you know what you sound like when you ASSume.

But, if you really think water will cause swirls in paint, use a towel on your car instead. :p

maybe I just don't follow your logic :eek:

andysat
01-29-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks for the wave wingspan! i am thinking of getting a low pressure karcher washer (bought locally) but have heard even low pressure ones can cause probs btw its 6c outside:)

Bimmer ese
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I love my Honda pressure washer. I too, have had no problems with the paint job on the 330. I normally pressure wash the car before I hand wash it. It minimizes the swil marks too, since there is less dust and dirt particles.

OTOH, when I pressure wash my 325, the paint flakes off. The previous owner did one of those $199.95 Maaco paint jobs to it.

Dan

cwsqbm
01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
OTOH, when I pressure wash my 325, the paint flakes off. The previous owner did one of those $199.95 Maaco paint jobs to it.

Dan

I had a white beater in high school that had been primed in a past life with red primer. One trip through the local touchless car wash and there was a bright red streak down the side of the car.

Last time I used a low end pressure was to try and get some paint off my mom's new truck. It was useless. Goop Off was finally used, although that stuff hurts the coating on the driveway!

bcausseaux
01-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I have always used a pressure washer and never had any problem.

OTOH my friend used a pressure wash and huge paint chips just went flying off the car.

I think it is more a result of crappy paint than the pressure wash.

ctweber
09-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Yeah I have a low power Karcher that came with different spray adjustments. I use the lower pressure shower attachment for the car. The feature sprays a fan of water with lower pressure than a house which is great for the car. Then when I get to the wheels I spray on the wheel cleaner and then just spray it away with a high pressure fan spray. This is the only reason I love the power washer as inorder to clean the wheels I just spray and wash it off. Works great and I love it.

Chris

vern
09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Do a search.This subject was discussed in great lenth. What it all came down to was personal preference. Myself I have a power washer but I never use it on any of our vehicles Good luck in what ever choice you make.
cheers
vern

Vikram
09-14-2006, 10:06 PM
My dealer said that touch less washers use harsh chemicals in the soaps etc. to compensate for the lack of elbow grease and these chemicals are harmful to the weather strips, paint (making it dull) and the rims. They do not do an effective job anyway leaving a fine layer of dust and most of the stubborn dirt. The "color shine" they use is bad for convertible tops. One has to end up cleaning the car by hand anyway. There is no substitute for elbow grease and Zymol. Rest is up to you.