PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on young M5 drivers?

erock901
01-28-2006, 10:32 PM
My very lucky and deserving cousin is getting an E60 M5 as a gift. She actually has a choice of any car in the $90k class. And even though I'm very excited for her (especially since I'll be able to drive it), I'm a little concerned. She's only in her early 20's, single and doesn't own a home yet. She has a decent job and will be taking care of her own insurance and maintanence (although I think that'll be taken care of for 4yrs by BMW). I just don't know if getting a $90k car is the best thing for her to do at this point in her life. Part of me wants to say, "hell ya, get that M5!". But my more mature side wants to tell her, "spend $50k on a nice 330i and invest the extra $40k for the future." What do you all think I should tell her?

I have to admit though...if I had a chance to own a car like an M5 in my early 20's, I would have done it!

Thanks in advance.

x3Bruin
01-28-2006, 11:05 PM
My very lucky and deserving cousin is getting an E60 M5 as a gift. She actually has a choice of any car in the $90k class.

Who is the gift from?

BMWenthusiast
01-28-2006, 11:48 PM
what does your cousin do? i know shes not paying for it but still would it be worth it to get a less expensive car and then invent/keep the 40k for the future. How much is that insurance giong to be?

Malibubimmer
01-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Prescription for disaster. Lindsay Lohan, age 19, has a 604 HP SL65. (Do a search on this Board.) She's already had 3 accidents. While she's blamed them all on papparazzi, the last one was clearly her fault. She stepped on the accelerator to get away from the intrusive beastards and hit about 90 MPH in less than a block, and T-boned a SUV.

What reason does a young girl have driving a 604 HP Mercedes, or a 500 HP BMW?

Whoever is buying the car for her - does he have an insurance policy on her life? Maybe he can also line up some good crack cocaine for her.

mullman
01-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Personally I think this is a very very bad idea.

At 35 I am not sure I am mature enough to manage the power of an M5.
That said, I am accident free, and have autobahn/autostrada experience.

Absolutely load up a 330 and put the rest of the money away for the future.

Judging by my wife (who I love dearly) the wheels & lower front apron would be scratched up within a week...

D.D.
01-29-2006, 07:44 AM

Whoever is buying the car for her - does he have an insurance policy on her life? Maybe he can also line up some good crack cocaine for her.

Ditto!!:thumbdwn: :yikes: :thumbdwn: :yikes: :thumbdwn: :yikes: :thumbdwn: :yikes: :( :( :( :( :( :(

KevinH
01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
We're talking about two completely different, unrelated issues.

1) Is she responsible enough to handle a car with that much power?

2) Is it the right choice, financially.

Question 2 is a simple matter of reviewing her finances. Anyone who can balance a checkbook should be able to answer that. And, of course, in most cases, the correct answer is "spend less, invest more."

Question 1 is the tougher one. The bottom line is that if she's a very responsible person, she'll probably be fine with the M5. However, if she's not responsible, she'll be dangerous regardless of what car she drives. My neighborhood, like many in the suburbs north of Atlanta, is full of $500,000 homes where kids get brand new $35,000+ cars when they turn 16. Every day I see these kids squealing tires around corners on our 25mph streets while their parents smile and say "heh...kids these days." Of course, the back roads are lined with white crosses, flowers, and teddy bears where a carful of these kids took a corner too fast.

afx twin
01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
get a new e46 m3 and use the other half of the cash for a down payment on a house.

cntlaw
01-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Prescription for disaster. Lindsay Lohan, age 19, has a 604 HP SL65. (Do a search on this Board.) She's already had 3 accidents. While she's blamed them all on papparazzi, the last one was clearly her fault. She stepped on the accelerator to get away from the intrusive beastards and hit about 90 MPH in less than a block, and T-boned a SUV.

It is pretty a universal rule that youngsters ( many are film stars, idols) drive super cars such as Ferrari, SL65AMG are bounded to accidents. The simple fact is , the young always get into emotional situations such as relationship break-up, pressure etc.
Car over 450hp requires more matured driving experienced drivers.

hawk2100n
01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
It is pretty a universal rule that youngsters ( many are film stars, idols) drive super cars such as Ferrari, SL65AMG are bounded to accidents. The simple fact is , the young always get into emotional situations such as relationship break-up, pressure etc.
Car over 450hp requires more matured driving experienced drivers.
I am assuming that you mean getting into emotional situations makes them drive poorly and erratically.

philippek
01-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Two customers of mine come to mind:

The first, a 27 year-old in the computer industry. Wife and 7 month-old daughter. Makes really nice cheese, even by Orange County standards.

The second, a 19 year-old college student. Replacing his SLK55. Mom is buying it for a gift.

Before the M5, I really had no idea just how much disposable income there is in this area.

Technic
01-29-2006, 10:49 AM
My very lucky and deserving cousin is getting an E60 M5 as a gift. She actually has a choice of any car in the $90k class. And even though I'm very excited for her (especially since I'll be able to drive it), I'm a little concerned. She's only in her early 20's, single and doesn't own a home yet. She has a decent job and will be taking care of her own insurance and maintanence (although I think that'll be taken care of for 4yrs by BMW). I just don't know if getting a $90k car is the best thing for her to do at this point in her life. Part of me wants to say, "hell ya, get that M5!". But my more mature side wants to tell her, "spend $50k on a nice 330i and invest the extra $40k for the future." What do you all think I should tell her?

I have to admit though...if I had a chance to own a car like an M5 in my early 20's, I would have done it!

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I do not see the issue here... it's her gift, you are her cousin and not her parent. If somebody has to be concerned about the magnitude of the gift and what are the implications it should be the parents and it seems that they are not at all, especially when she even have a choice in the $90K class.

Cheez, for my first car my mother gave me the choice in the $6K class and I was a straight A student my whole life... :eeps:

So, is she really deserving or not? Because, IMO, the answer will determine if you actually have something to say to her other than I'm really happy for you, enjoy!... Can I get a ride, pleeease? :D

snagger
01-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Does she *need* an M5? A well-stocked 550 would probably be just as good. There is the whole moral question of the M badge as a staus symbol (which I won't get into) but I believe in having a purpose for buying a specific car, and if she's not a well-trained driver I bet her purpose for buying an M5 is the wrong one.

As a young BMW driver (21), I intend to work my way up through power numbers: 2.5, 3.0, old M, new M - over the span of what will undoubtedly be many years.

milobloom242
01-29-2006, 11:03 AM
If it's a gift why not assuming this doesn't blow the family savings and she's mature and thoughtful enough to appreciate it and understand the responsibility that comes with driving it.

cntlaw
01-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I am assuming that you mean getting into emotional situations makes them drive poorly and erratically.

yes:)

cntlaw
01-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Personally, I do not see the issue here... it's her gift, you are her cousin and not her parent. If somebody has to be concerned about the magnitude of the gift and what are the implications it should be the parents and it seems that they are not at all, especially when she even have a choice in the $90K class.

Cheez, for my first car my mother gave me the choice in the $6K class and I was a straight A student my whole life... :eeps:

So, is she really deserving or not? Because, IMO, the answer will determine if you actually have something to say to her other than I'm really happy for you, enjoy!... Can I get a ride, pleeease? :D

Not quite the price of the car, cars with 450hp+ is a bomb , no matter how good the brakes are.:( And, the M5 is faster than a top Ferrari.

94silverbullet
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
are you talking about the v10 500hp M5?

is this her first car? -----> bad idea for a 1st car.... :rolleyes:

hawk2100n
01-29-2006, 02:21 PM
A kid around here just killed himself in a Crown Vic on the road leaving his neighborhood. He was going at least 70 in a 25 zone, and people who lived near him said he always drove that fast down that road. He just lost control going around a turn. It is not always the car that puts the person at risk, it is the maturity of the driver.

erock901
01-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all the input. Let me try to answer some questions.

Who is the gift from? Our aunt.

what does your cousin do? She's a manager at a small tech firm.

What reason does a young girl have driving a 604 HP Mercedes, or a 500 HP BMW? I can't think of any.

So, is she really deserving or not? Yes, she's done a lot for my aunt and our family.

Is she responsible enough to handle a car with that much power? I think and hope so. Although, I don't think she's driven a car with more than 300hp other than a few test drives.

Does she *need* an M5? Does anyone? If you're asking whether or not she'll be taking it to the track or utilizing all the abilities of the M5, then the answer is no.

are you talking about the v10 500hp M5? Yes

is this her first car? No, she currently drives a Jetta.

I understand that her parents should be the ones giving her this kind of advice but, I'm not sure if they really understand the magnitude of driving a 500hp car. I'm the only car nut in family. I'm just going to tell her what I think once. If she decides to go forward with the M5, then I'll just help her enjoy it.

Malibubimmer
01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
This isn't even a close question and some of the responses here demonstrate the desire of the poster to have an M5, but discount the devastation that a 500HP automobile can do in the hands of a youg driver. To those who think it's just her decision, you apparently don't drove on the public roads and have no family members who do, either. Good for you.

If the aunt buys this car for her niece she, the girl's parents, and any other relative who knows what's going on (or should inquire and find out) may be culpable, morally if not legally, if something awful happens. It's a lot more likely something awful will happen behind the wheel of a 500HP, 2 ton automobile than behind 250HP or less car.

There are a lot of people here who don't have good judgment. To ask the question was to answer it. At this point, since she lives in another state, I'm done. For those of you who are okay with her getting the car - get a life. After you turn 21 you'll feel a little differently about this., Perhaps I should say, after you become adults you'll feel differently, because I'm sure a lot of you are over 21, possiblywell over it, but haven't grown up yet.

Pathetic.

Mister Chow
01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Maybe the best way to approach this is to make the most of it. If her aunt can afford the M5 I'm sure she wouldn't mind springing some loose change for some qualified instruction, whether that is racing school or just performance driving school. That way your cousin will appreciate what she's getting and respect it. Otherwise what's the difference to her if she just gets a 525 with big wheels and some badging?

Hell, if she really gets into it that means more track days with her well meaning cousin!:angel:

Mels325
01-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a slightly higher opinion on the maturity of an early 20's (24?) year old woman than most here seem to have. I have a niece who is 24, graduated from college may 2005 and would trust her not to go thrash the car and wreak havoc in the streets..
What I would not trust her to do with a gift such as this is to truly appreciate the car for what it is, and treat it with the respect (and love) that such a beast of a car deserves. I mean that as in respecting what this car is capable of doing and not driving beyond her abilities, as well as respecting the car and giving it the pampering treatment and preventative maintenance it needs.
I just can't help but think about Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and how she just wants another pony.

kc5
01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I just hope that she doesn't take out any innocents when she kills herself in that beast. I seriously question her aunt's judgment. Clearly, auntie has more money than sense. Is this the Hilton family? Perhaps Letterman can do a Stupid Rich People Tricks segment on her.

Flex
01-29-2006, 08:47 PM
If you have $90K + available, either

1) Buy a house or
2) Invest a big portion of that cash or
3) Combine both one and two options listed above

I can understand the desire for an M5 or luxury car, especially when one's age is in the 20's.

However, as others have mentioned, there is a great responsibility associated with owning ANY car, not just a BMW.

Practically speaking, how much will the insurance be? I imagine it'll be high considering her age. How about maintenance costs? Although BMW offers the 4 year maintenance package for new cars sold, it's only a solution for the short term. What if she decides to keep it for a long, long time? I'm sure the costs of ownership and maintenance will be even higher then. What about gas costs? In California, gas prices are higher than most states in the US.

Finally, there's the matter of having the driving skills necessary to manage a 500 hp engine.

If she's cool and confident with all that has been mentioned, then more power to her! Just be responsible and understand the limits of the car AND your driving skills!

Personally, from a financial perspective, I would rather have $90K or whatever residual amount of that, appreciate in value than depreciating. Here's a thought - how about investing in Google stock?! Imagine, if you bought $90K worth of Google stock today and let it ride for a while? Or what about Berkshire Hathaway?

That's my 2 little Lincolns coins...

Flex

tierfreund
01-30-2006, 04:21 AM
This isn't even a close question and some of the responses here demonstrate the desire of the poster to have an M5, but discount the devastation that a 500HP automobile can do in the hands of a youg driver. To those who think it's just her decision, you apparently don't drove on the public roads and have no family members who do, either. Good for you.

If the aunt buys this car for her niece she, the girl's parents, and any other relative who knows what's going on (or should inquire and find out) may be culpable, morally if not legally, if something awful happens. It's a lot more likely something awful will happen behind the wheel of a 500HP, 2 ton automobile than behind 250HP or less car.

There are a lot of people here who don't have good judgment. To ask the question was to answer it. At this point, since she lives in another state, I'm done. For those of you who are okay with her getting the car - get a life. After you turn 21 you'll feel a little differently about this., Perhaps I should say, after you become adults you'll feel differently, because I'm sure a lot of you are over 21, possiblywell over it, but haven't grown up yet.

Pathetic.

I agree Mailbu. My guess is Im at least 15 years younger than you and jet I share your thoughts. Im just surprised you havent been flamed for your statements yet.

As for an M5 and a young girl: I really am not the envious kind. If youve got it, I say flaunt it. Spend it if it makes you feel good.
But spending money on an expensive car is one thing, Getting weapons grade hp is quite another.
I dont think, you necessarily have to work your way up from a beater to a fine car to be a good person.
But you certainly should work your way up through the hp/weight ratio.
Agreed, bad driving is lethal to yourself and any bystander in any car, even in an underpowered yugo, but you can get yourself killed a lot faster and in a lot more ways with an M5. Worse, the bigger / more expensive that hp monster is, the more likely it is for you to kill someone else without harming yourself. And THAT is really bad for your karma.

So, Id say, if you can, talk the girl out of the M5 and into a nice fully optioned SL500. Still a great car, plenty of hp and conveninience and all that. But not quite as daunting as an M5.

As a general rule, Id state that you should only buy an M car if you really inted to use it the way it was meant. Meaning only buy it if your serious about performance driving, probably tracking and have the driving skills to handle it.

Never buy an M just because its the "best", "most expensive" BMW.

mullman
01-30-2006, 04:49 AM
OK, enough is enough.

I just want to know if she is a hottie or not :bigpimp:

Technic
01-30-2006, 05:01 AM

Pathetic.

Well, I've been participating in this forum for quite some time and I've refrained of getting into this kind of discussions for a long time, but your post is really something that I just can't get.

The question was answered depending of each person experience, therefore calling that pathetic is just unnecessary. Do you know the person receiving the car? Do you know if she's going to become a crazy driver once she experiences 500hp? At what age do you think that is good for anybody to manage that kind of horsepower safely? Other than assumptions, what else do you have?

So far the author of the thread have answered all the questions regarding what he thinks of his cousin. So far he have not said that this person is the "crazy young driver" that will take the M5 and kill people. In fact, nobody knows which way it might go other than herself and maybe not even her. So, who the hell are you in all this to be judging other people opinions like you know something that the rest of us do not? You do not even know who I am, I do not know who are you, however I am not the one saying that you are pathetic because I dissagree with you.

Sometimes this forum get really stupid for nonsense.

Technic
01-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all the input. Let me try to answer some questions.

Who is the gift from? Our aunt.

what does your cousin do? She's a manager at a small tech firm.

What reason does a young girl have driving a 604 HP Mercedes, or a 500 HP BMW? I can't think of any.

So, is she really deserving or not? Yes, she's done a lot for my aunt and our family.

Is she responsible enough to handle a car with that much power? I think and hope so. Although, I don't think she's driven a car with more than 300hp other than a few test drives.

Does she *need* an M5? Does anyone? If you're asking whether or not she'll be taking it to the track or utilizing all the abilities of the M5, then the answer is no.

are you talking about the v10 500hp M5? Yes

is this her first car? No, she currently drives a Jetta.

I understand that her parents should be the ones giving her this kind of advice but, I'm not sure if they really understand the magnitude of driving a 500hp car. I'm the only car nut in family. I'm just going to tell her what I think once. If she decides to go forward with the M5, then I'll just help her enjoy it.

Thanks for the answers... to finalize my participation, I would add that if you really want to advice her about this "gift" recommend exactly what Mister Chow wrote: driving school. Actually, the M Performance School could be the perfect complement to this gift.

Another thing to consider (if the gift is not a surprise) is a simple test drive in the M5, maybe this will let her decide if this is the kind of car that she would enjoy and care about. Perhaps at the end she ends up not liking it and a nice 5 Series will be enough for her. :thumbup:

hugh1850
01-30-2006, 06:49 AM
My thoughts: If she is a driving enthusiast, doesn't mind the learning curve of the smg transmission and can fully appreciate the difference (other than the badge) between the M5 a 550i (no slug either) then great. If she just wants a luxury car, then why not a 550i/ or a 530i for that matter? How about an E 500? She could save thousands. I have a feeling that if she can't appreciate what the m5 is, that after a week of trying to master the transmission and riding around with the aggressive suspension setup she's going to be looking to trade out.

She can have my 330i for an even swap.;)

FrenchBoy
01-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I am reading about people trying to rationalize whether or not an early-20 person should be driving around in a $90K, 500HP car...

What a crazy world we live in

Motown328
01-30-2006, 08:20 AM
What are her reasons for wanting the M5? Did she give any? If it isn't for spirited driving and constant eyeballing by the police, then she will probably get sick of it after a few months. You need a sharp and solid attitude to go along with that sharp and solid car. She could probably find something she would like even more for under $90k if she would just take the time to look around.

philippek
01-30-2006, 09:07 AM
She could probably find something she would like even more for under $90k if she would just take the time to look around.

Dunno about that...considering the comfort, performance, practicallity and style you get in an M5, it's stupid cheap.

mtbscott
01-30-2006, 09:09 AM
This reminds me of a couple of anecdotes. The first new M5 I saw was when I was picking up my MINI from service. A couple of high school aged kids were being given the delivery speech as their parents watched from the sidelines....sigh... Next up was when I had taken 3 of my bike team kids out for a ride in my M3. We stopped at a store in the country and I decided on a whim to pick up a couple of Lotto tkts. Told the boys I'd buy them all a M3 each if I won. One of the kids said, "Yeah, and coffins for our parents."

Motown328
01-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Dunno about that...considering the comfort, performance, practicallity and style you get in an M5, it's stupid cheap.

Of course, I think the M5 is a great car, but I was commenting on the fact that maybe it isn't the "right" one for her. That is why I was asking for her reasons on wanting it in the first place.

THE RING
01-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Its great that a 20 year old has the chance to drive and even own a car that most people can only dream about. The thing is that as responsible as any 20 year is there are always friends and situations that makes yonger drivers make the mistakes. I believe having that much speed and power at any age requires a huge responiblity in knowing how much destruction it can cause.. all it takes is one mistake at 100 + mph.. my 2 cents.

cityscapex5
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Dumb Idea. Pick up any newspaper and you'll see that there are no shortage of morons in this country.