PDA

View Full Version : E65 rough idle/stalling

gman750i
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I was driving along and my brand new E65 started bucking and shaking, then the 'Service Engine' light came on. The car would not go more than 30 mph. I have only 2000 miles on it. After I shut off the car and re-started it, it was OK. I have noticed some rough idle and sluggish acceleration once in awhile, but this was much worse.

Anyone else experience anything like this?:dunno:

2006_750Li_ED
01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
A little bit when the car is cold in the morning, then it goes away after 30 seconds.

meandmyprs
02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
When i first start my new 750 in the morning it stutters and shakes...it will die if you put it in gear...my dealer says this is normal but I am not buying it...seriously give me my money back.

BMWNA
02-07-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

chris_lax
02-08-2006, 06:32 AM
hmmmmm...mine was only rough idle, so the car was shaking when it started. it turned out that it was only working on 11 or 10 cyclinders. fixed it and it was smooth..

gman750i
02-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Just to clarify - my car wasn't just idling or running roughly at start up- I was driving it at 65 MPH for an hour, then it just slowed down and started bucking. When I pulled over, shut it off and turned it back on again immediatley, it was fine. I took it to the dealer and they said it had a 'misfire' fault due to bad gas, but I wasn't buying it. If it had bad gas, why was it fine immediately after shutting it off an back on again? They told me to fill it up with premium (which I always do) from a different gas station and see how it goes. I did and halfway through the next tank it happened again. Same symptons. It shuts down and I have to turn it off and on again and it goes away.

Since the last time it happened, I have filled up the tank 2 more times and it hasn't happened again. It's clearly not safe to drive, so if it happens again, I am going to ask them to replace the vehicle since that will be 3 major issues with the same car.

BTW, this is my 6th BMW and I've never had even one minor problem before, so I am a loyalist through and through.

gman750i
02-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Well, the *SHUT DOWN* has happened a few more times. I have now been able to isolate one common behavior when it happens, but it is still intermittent. Each time it has happened, I have been operating in manual shift mode. It has never happened in Sport Mode or Regular Automatic Shift mode. I have tried to make it happen on purpose, using different combinations of up-shifting and down-shifting with with the paddles, trying all right-hand side, then all left-hand side, then a combination, but no luck.

My instinct is telling me that it has something to do with 'engine braking' - coasting in Sport Mode or down-shifting to slow down. The last 2 times it's happened, I have been coasting in 3rd or 4th gear at around 3500 RPM.

The dealer can see the 'misfire faults' in the computer, but can't re-create. BMW Customer relations was very nice, but told me to keep working with the dealer to try to resolve it.

I will give the dealer one more chance, then I'm afraid that lawyers will have to get involved. I have less than 4000 miles on the car and did not pay $85K for the car to sit in the shop.

KButkiewicz@mac
02-25-2006, 05:51 AM
I just had the same problem with my car that has 23K miles. My dealer found that one of the cylinders was misfiring and replaced that ignition coil. For me the problem would happen if I made a hard accelaration but then would reset when the car was turned off.

///MLover
02-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Well as some of you might have seen my other post, my problem was gone. Gone for 3 days. So i left a message for shop forman. Now he said that they are bringing some engineer in to look at. Well the car has been there since the 21st. Oh by the way this is the 4th or 5th time this car has been in there for this. So i dunno what to do:dunno: Ohh the car is still there. Last time i checked up on it it was full of leaves and some lttile flower **** from sitting under the tree for over 3 days.:bawling: They gave me a 2005 530i!

wchandler
12-11-2013, 06:49 AM
hi I have a 2004 745I I'm trying to see if anyone ever found the solution to that problem, my car is doing the exact same thing. While idling it shakes really bad,and after driving for a little while I have to pull off the side of the road turn the car off and turn it back on because the car won't accelerate when I come to a stop or even just slow down. So far I have to change the fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs, intake manifold, camshaft position sensors. I have taken it to 2 different indy BMW repair shops, both have said they have no idea what's wrong with it,on Friday have an appointment with the actual BMW dealer. I was hoping that someone had found a solution to this problem,mainly because I do not want to spend a lot of money on something that may not be a solution,I absolutely love this car and don't want to give it up plus me and my wife just had our first baby so money is kind of tight. I will say however 2 things seem to make it run better for a little while, when they were changed when the fuel filter was changed the car ran better for about a day, and when the coils were changed the car seems to run better which leads me to believe this may be a problem that is fuel related. if you have found any solutions please let me know or even if you have any ideas please let me know thank you