PDA

View Full Version : How much $$ does a BMW mechanic make? Possible career

catchthewiper
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
I am thinking about becoming a bmw mechanic, i currently work at a small ford dealership, and our top paid mechanics make between 50-60k, now i have heard that bmw/mercedes and other high end mechanics can make 100k+, is this true? also, i am only 19, so i could go to whatever school it would take, your thoughts/opinions? are there any mechanics on this board, how do you like your job?

Abepark
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Im in the same position as you. I have been studying BMW mechanics at massbay I'm 19 and will be graduating this spring. If you want to be a mechanic because of the good money think again. Yes its very possible to make 100k, hard, yes. The work that mechanics do will wear you out very quickly, and the older you get the harder the simple job will become. I'm currently gonna graduate and then I will be working at an independent shop for a couple years. BMW are prob not that much harder to work on the ford trucks. A Lot more training though. hope that helps you.

CbadE38
02-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Never get into any career primarily because you think you'll make a lot of money (ask a lawyer).

Become a BMW mechanic because you love working on BMWs. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Rowag
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Never get into any career primarily because you think you'll make a lot of money (ask a lawyer).

Become a BMW mechanic because you love working on BMWs. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.
:stupid: Money comes - not as something pursued but as an inevitable side-effect of another passion.

icy_m
02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
but how much do they make? just curious..

chuck92103
02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Some dealerships pay mechanics based on work performed. i.e. contractors, not full time employees. Some pay an hourly rate and are employees of the dealership.

The ones who are paid by the job can make more money if they are good, and quick.

I imagine the ones making $100k plus don't have much of a life. Also, most dealerships seem to have one "certified mechanic" so they can hang a shingle. It is the uncertified folks doing the work with this one guy overseeing the work of the uncertified should they have issues.

You have to divide the hours worked and once uncle same takes his cut, you will find it is not all that it is cracked up to be. Large dealers will pressure you to get the cars through the system and to find things to get the customer to agree to pay for. Upselling.

As another poster said, do what you enjoy. I have never heard of a rich mechanic. :dunno:

SGT Ski
02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Well I'm a Soldier so everyone assumes I'm broke lol... I agree with the theory of not doing a job based on how much you can make.. The best advice my platoon sgt gave me when I was a young private was "you know you are in the right job when you would go to work for free".. I still feel that I would do this job for no pay because I love it so I guess I'm in the right line of work..

SSG Ski

Infantry Follow Me

jaisonline
02-24-2006, 03:40 AM
I am thinking about becoming a bmw mechanic, i currently work at a small ford dealership, and our top paid mechanics make between 50-60k, now i have heard that bmw/mercedes and other high end mechanics can make 100k+, is this true? also, i am only 19, so i could go to whatever school it would take, your thoughts/opinions? are there any mechanics on this board, how do you like your job?

this thread should really be moved under "ask a dealer". u would get more replies there.

crash8168
02-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Its more about what a house costs where you want to live than how much you are getting paid. 50.000 in a relatively inexpensive place to live will get you just as good a standard of living as 100,000 somwhere else.

philippek
02-26-2006, 12:21 PM

JayK330
02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
My friend said while he was attending UTI he had talked to several of his professors who told him he could quite easily make anywhere b/w $80K to over $100K working for BMW, MB, Lexus, etc.

freejax
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
A few years ago when in automotive school, I heard that someone made $150,000.
He worked at jiffy lube. You can start whippin those jobs out if all your doing is oil changes over and over again.

QuantumJump
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM

I like to wait a couple of years before responding to a post.

Employment Outlook

Many BMW mechanics will work in automotive dealerships as a salaried employee. These mechanics are among the higher paid positions within this sector and can earn between $25,000 and $40,000 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Because automobiles will always need to be maintained and repaired, the employment outlook for this career is extremely good and does not depend on the health of the economy. Most BMW mechanics will work not only on this particular make of vehicle, but will also work with other German made models, so there is generally plenty of positions available for well-skilled mechanics.

MrBones
10-03-2008, 08:15 PM
A few years ago when in automotive school, I heard that someone made $150,000.
He worked at jiffy lube. You can start whippin those jobs out if all your doing is oil changes over and over again.

And it's even faster when they don't even change the oil-as Jiffy Lubes were caught doing!

Ryan M
10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
You can make as much or as little as you wish. For example:

Say you get paid 25$ an hour (just a number for arguments sake). Now, say a particular job you are working on takes 10 hours according to book time. You get the job done in 8 hours. You still get paid for 10 hours of work, even though it only took you 8 hours. Then you can move on and work on another car. So it is not unusual to get paid for 50 hours of work during a 40 hour work week. However, especially in the beginning, don't expect to always beat the book time. Remember, if you are working on a job that takes 10 hours according to book, and it takes you 12 or 13 hours, you still only get paid for 10.

As far as how much money you will make, well that depends on about 10 million factors. Where in the country you plan on working, dealer or independent, how many ASE certifications you have, how much experience you have, etc. I have seen master techs make north of 100 grand a year, but it takes years, if ever, to get to that level.

bmrboy2008
10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
After reading all of this, IMO you should find another career.

Z4 Steve
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Do what you enjoy. I am getting ready to retire in the next three years and I always wanted to own a bar. I don't care about making money. I just want to enjoy myself.

Virginia Bill
10-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Consult this thread on another forum: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747329

mclaren
10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
For you young people, the key in life is to figure out what you can do batter than other people and then find a job where your skills are paramount. When you are doing something you're good at you will be happy as opposed to the millions that hate going to work everyday.

TMQ
10-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, do what you love doing. money is important, but your career is more important. You need to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

There's nothing worse than doing what you hate day in and day out. Especially if it's something really repetitive like oil change.

If you love cars, you should also continue school to get education in design or mechanical engineering; wouldn't it be nice to actually design and make future BMWs?

TMQ
10-10-2008, 03:44 PM
sorry, reposted.

e36m34life
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Even though you say you love working on cars, I think in the long run you may really regret choosing to go this path, unless you do it the smart way. Think about when you start hitting your 40's, when things start to ache, when you start getting grand children and when you start feeling the need to just relax. What about your 50's? Do you really think you will want to be a mechanic at that age? How does performing a motor swap at that age feel?

That being said, there are oppurtunities. It would take great responsibility and patience, but what you could do is be really good at your job, save...I mean SAVE your money, and when your 40's roll around, open up your own speciality shop of your choice. Depending on how smart and good you are, you can even expand. Soon enough, you won't be working anymore, people will be working for YOU, and you will be collecting the monies sitting at home.

I understand it's much easier said then done, but you really need to think about your future, it sounds like your only thinking short term, which is not good.

Don't be a slave to a dealership. Think of your career as a flight of stairs. The bottom stair is you working at a dealership, the top step is you owning your own successfull shop. It would be hard work but it can be done.

My point is, don't think that you graduating as a mechanic and working at a dealership will be a huge accomplishment. With that career, you will need to keep advancing in order to live comfortably and happy in your golden years.

I'm 19 as well, and I was in a very similiar spot as you not that long ago, but I decided to go a different path.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Leca
12-30-2009, 05:19 PM
You can make as much or as little as you wish. For example:

Say you get paid 25$ an hour (just a number for arguments sake). Now, say a particular job you are working on takes 10 hours according to book time. You get the job done in 8 hours. You still get paid for 10 hours of work, even though it only took you 8 hours. Then you can move on and work on another car. So it is not unusual to get paid for 50 hours of work during a 40 hour work week. However, especially in the beginning, don't expect to always beat the book time. Remember, if you are working on a job that takes 10 hours according to book, and it takes you 12 or 13 hours, you still only get paid for 10.

As far as how much money you will make, well that depends on about 10 million factors. Where in the country you plan on working, dealer or independent, how many ASE certifications you have, how much experience you have, etc. I have seen master techs make north of 100 grand a year, but it takes years, if ever, to get to that level.

Yup, this advice is probably your best bet. I mean, suffice it to say at a high-end dealership like BMW (or Audi, Mercedes, etc.) you're going to be making more than people typically associate with auto mechanic salaries (http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/auto-mechanic-salary-SRCH_KO0,13.htm) pretty much right off that bat. And it's true that some techs in these places can make nearly 6 figures. But you're talking about years of experience, ASE and other certs, and probably being at a dealership that's in a rich, metropolitan area to begin with. So that's the exception, not the rule. One bit of advice though - learn early in your career how to negotiate your wage and you'll be in good shape! ;)

Frankie93
03-25-2011, 07:08 AM
hey my names francisco im at high school still and im studing mechanic but sadlyh this class is soon to be cancelled i whant to know wut kind of schools do you have to go (does it have to be any mechanic school?) to work for bmw compny or ANY other company....

TRS550
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
One advantage to being a BMW mechanic.

You'll actually be able to afford to own an out of warranty 7 series!!!

mcorsello
04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Hello,

My name is Michael. I live in Essex County, New Jersey, and I am looking for a Local Independent Mechanic to service my 2002 BMW 525.
Can anyone recommend anyone who is reliable and reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Michael