PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest on rattle control

G750
02-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm about to take my car in, tons of rattles coming out of the front dash area driving me nuts.
They packed some foam in there last time and it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

RPR50
02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Same problem, but only when it's cold. They've replaced my windshield. Still rattles. Pulled the windshield again and the dash. Put it back together. Still rattles. I'm advised that BMW is aware of the problem and is working on a "fix." Pretty surprising at this price level, eh?

jkb
02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Same problem, but only when it's cold. They've replaced my windshield. Still rattles. Pulled the windshield again and the dash. Put it back together. Still rattles. I'm advised that BMW is aware of the problem and is working on a "fix." Pretty surprising at this price level, eh?

here is what a poster on roadfly said about this issue:

"it is the window seal around the window, use some light grease or WD40 to go under the 1/2 flap that over hangs the windshield, I used a thin peace of plastic to get under the seal (the plastic school binder works well). the plastic shrinks and tightens in cold weather and grabs the window and every bump you hit sounds like your dash is loose.. it worked great for me.."

2006_750Li_ED
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I have the same problem, and if I wanted to buy a car that has problems that I have to fix myself I would not pay BMW $90,000
I called the dealer and they are pretending that I am the first guy to have this problem, when ALL 750 2006 cars have this problem. I am horrified that I need to leave the car for 3 days again... if I wanted to drive Chevy cavalier I would not pay $90,000 for a car...
there has got to be a better way to get service.

///MLover
02-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Well everybody mine is fixed!!! I cant believe it after 4 times. My service advisor said that they had finally gotten a response back from bmw headquarters and a new update!:rofl: So well there is not one tiny rattle in a cold start... :) Well all i know that mine had a lot of software problems. Many problems (Thats what the tech said) So im Happy. He said it was running like day and night when he compared it to a 7er of the lot....

jkb
02-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I have the same problem, and if I wanted to buy a car that has problems that I have to fix myself I would not pay BMW $90,000
I called the dealer and they are pretending that I am the first guy to have this problem, when ALL 750 2006 cars have this problem. I am horrified that I need to leave the car for 3 days again... if I wanted to drive Chevy cavalier I would not pay $90,000 for a car...

i think you are going to have a stroke at 45 at this rate if you dont relax. its just a car. yes, its annoying that it has a little rattle, but its not the end of the world. if you dont enjoy it - go sell it and buy a cavalier. for every one problem with my car, there are one hundred things i adore about it.

you really ought to learn to relax before you blow a gasket over a little rattle with a car. and another thing - if you are into cars, fixing little things should be fun. even on a $90,000 car. i really enjoyed doing the work on it when i can: hardwiring V1, debadging and when ipod kit comes out, i will also enjoy installing it myself.

duke4739
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Do yourself a favor and either do the "Roadfly" fix or show the fix to your dealer. The "fix" is dead on. I used silicone spray and lifted the rubber or plastic lip with my fingers. Took 1 minute or less,zero dash rattles. Period.

2006_750Li_ED
02-02-2006, 08:12 PM
i think you are going to have a stroke at 45 at this rate if you dont relax. its just a car. yes, its annoying that it has a little rattle, but its not the end of the world. if you dont enjoy it - go sell it and buy a cavalier. for every one problem with my car, there are one hundred things i adore about it.

you really ought to learn to relax before you blow a gasket over a little rattle with a car. and another thing - if you are into cars, fixing little things should be fun. even on a $90,000 car. i really enjoyed doing the work on it when i can: hardwiring V1, debadging and when ipod kit comes out, i will also enjoy installing it myself.
I am going to admit myself to the hospital since I turned 45 in october....
I don't know where you got that I blew a gasket over this problem. All i did is call the dealership 4 times, called another dealrship 3 times, drove to the dealer one time and never got anywhere. It is almost impossible to get the service department to pick up the phone anymore...
I love this car and do not want to part from it for 3 days ovrer this problem. However I do not want to deal with repairs of a brand new car, they should not pretend ingnorance and take care of me, I do not want to fill a gap that might be the needed slack when summer comes and the windshield expands.
You are defending bad service and encouraging it by giving up and doing it yourself, I passed the age where I enjoy fixing my car and I paid for this priviledge, i worked hard for my $90,000 and I paid it in cash, I expect them to work for my money just as hard.

jkb
02-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Do yourself a favor and either do the "Roadfly" fix or show the fix to your dealer. The "fix" is dead on. I used silicone spray and lifted the rubber or plastic lip with my fingers. Took 1 minute or less,zero dash rattles. Period.

i am glad i could help. when i started reading your post, i thought you were going to say "do yourself a favour and go ... "

:)

jacksprat
02-03-2006, 09:09 AM
TO ALL: It is very hard on an internet forum to determine the tone of someone's voice. Sarcism can come accross as an insult, a mild list of complaints can come across as someone raging and resulting in "blowing a gasket resulting in a stroke at 45".

WHATEVER YOU READ ON THE FORUMS TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. there is no need to call someone out on something, unless they are claiming something that is obviously wrong and can be proven with facts. There is no need to be condescending when providing responses to questions. Above all, there is no need to make fun of people when they post pics of their cars and you dont like their taste in mods.

"everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"

G750
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the replys
I lifted the seal under the windshield and lubed it with Vaseline. The rattles have changed (less noisy, more tolerable) so I know that they originated from there. I might try to add some oil later today to make them go away...

jkb
02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the replys
I lifted the seal under the windshield and lubed it with Vaseline. The rattles have changed (less noisy, more tolerable) so I know that they originated from there. I might try to add some oil later today to make them go away...

good to know we are on the right track. try WD-40 -- it should make it better also.

jkb
02-03-2006, 10:24 AM
TO ALL: It is very hard on an internet forum to determine the tone of someone's voice. Sarcism can come accross as an insult, a mild list of complaints can come across as someone raging and resulting in "blowing a gasket resulting in a stroke at 45".

WHATEVER YOU READ ON THE FORUMS TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

that 750_ED guy is always complaining about something and how he paid $90K for his car (which btw, if he did European Delivery he got very much ripped off) and how he paid in cash and how because of that it must be a flawless piece of work and how dare it break.

Above all, there is no need to make fun of people when they post pics of their cars and you dont like their taste in mods.

"everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"

you want facts? how about you find a fact where i make fun of people? all i did was reply to a post saying "what do you guys think about these mods". i'd like to point out the question was not "what do you guys think about these mods and please reply only if you like them" - hence any opinion counts, no?

and why are you picking on me when i am the one actually providing some usefull info on this particular topic while your post is providing no technical value what-so-ever.

jacksprat
02-03-2006, 10:34 AM
wow dude....no one is picking on you. I was speaking in general, proving my point that everything read on the forums should be taken with a grain of salt.

2006_750Li_ED
02-03-2006, 08:16 PM

"it is the window seal around the window, use some light grease or WD40 to go under the 1/2 flap that over hangs the windshield, I used a thin peace of plastic to get under the seal (the plastic school binder works well). the plastic shrinks and tightens in cold weather and grabs the window and every bump you hit sounds like your dash is loose.. it worked great for me.."

I really appreciate the advise (not the criticizm comments) so you are talking about the outside of the car and you mean the black rubber seal that surrounds the windshield? how is oil going to affect the gap that is generated by shrinkage?
Perhaps I am not sure about your fix, could you describe in more detail the procedure? I am about to give up like you and do BMW's work, if this is such an easy solution why doesn't BMW bother to run a bulletin to all its dealers? Perhaps because everybody repairs the car themselves and the problem never reaches the dealer...
I am just amazed at myself and others here that BMW treats us like *hit and we come back and buy more cars.... it proves that people are willing to take a lot of abuse as long as they like the product, another example is Rolex, they have the worst time keeping devices, theri watches are automatic mechanical devices in the age of solar powered electric watches. their watch is fast 4-20 seconds per day and stops working if you put it in the drawer for 2 days... they have no alarm, no calculator, no adressbook, no MP3 player, but people pay $4000-$10,000 for a typical watch and get a lousy 1 year warranty.... and yet they still buy it....
I think that BMW is the same.... one day we will wake up and find out that a company like Lexus (Toyota) builds better cars, perhaps the LS460? who knows

jkb
02-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I really appreciate the advise (not the criticizm comments) so you are talking about the outside of the car and you mean the black rubber seal that surrounds the windshield? how is oil going to affect the gap that is generated by shrinkage?

dude, i dont know. magic? just try it. dont forget to use nice moisturizing soap after you get your hands dirty :)

I am about to give up like you and do BMW's work, if this is such an easy solution why doesn't BMW bother to run a bulletin to all its dealers? Perhaps because everybody repairs the car themselves and the problem never reaches the dealer...
I am just amazed at myself and others here that BMW treats us like *hit and we come back and buy more cars....

BMW never treated me like sh1t -- I have great relationship with my service adviser and with the sales people. Yes, once in a blue moon they make an error - but we are all humans. So what? Life goes on. In fact, i dont think i'll be able to buy anything but BMW i am so spoiled by the car, how solid it is and by how i get treated at the dealer.

Boxboss
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM

"it is the window seal around the window, use some light grease or WD40 to go under the 1/2 flap that over hangs the windshield, I used a thin peace of plastic to get under the seal (the plastic school binder works well). the plastic shrinks and tightens in cold weather and grabs the window and every bump you hit sounds like your dash is loose.. it worked great for me.."Based on that, the WD40, vaseline, whatever, will lubricate the shrunken and tightened seal and allow the window to "slide" over it rather than "grab". It is magic.

2006_750Li_ED
02-04-2006, 05:29 PM
dude, i dont know. magic? just try it. dont forget to use nice moisturizing soap after you get your hands dirty :).
Mr Yan_745, you are a very rude and arogant individual, I find it very hard to believe that you are easy going as you claim to be. You have a bad attitude and if you think that sucking up to the BMW sales people and service people is a solution to their incompetence then you have found another WD40 quick fix.
BMW makes some great cars(not all of them) and is too cheap to give us the service we deserve. This is my 12th BMW and I know most of the service people and sales people in my neighbourhood and I do have some friends amog them, but they agree with me that they do not have the tools to give good service, as a matter of fact they admit that BMW is a very cheap company with very strict rules that do not allow a dealership to give the kind of service that Lexus gives.
On another note you do no not know me and are judging me by my unwillingness to fix the car myself, I have no problem fixing things on my car, I have been replcing brakes, belts, alternators, water pumps and fixing many alectrical problems when I was in my 20s, I am an Engeneer and I like playing with things, but you need to appreciate people who reached a point in their lives when they can afford and want to pay others to get small things done and when I pay $90,000 in cash for a brand new car I expect some service and I refuse to fix a design flaw with a WD-40 quick patch.

By the way, I visited the dealership again and talked to the shop foreman who admitted to me that there is a brand new bulletin relating to this problem, and they DO NOT recomend WD-40 specifically, they require the seal to be removed and resealed with some special material, which if it is mixed with WD-40 it could not stick right.

ICEcap
02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I had the same problem on a 2006750li and the dealer said right away that the windshield seals are bad a replaced the windshield. Problem solved. Now to I still have to get the firmware update to solve the engine lugging problem and my radio seems to have a mind of its own and turns on repeately after I turn it off!

G750
02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I called 2 dealerships and spoke to 2 service reps who had no idea what I was talking about. They had never heard of bad windshield seals or the need to replace them.
Is there any BMW bulletin out there I can show them?
Thanks

2006bmw750li
02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, it'll be useful if ICEcap can share with us the name of the dealer in Northern California he visited?

Thanks!!

ICEcap
02-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Peter Pan in San Mateo. I am going there next week to get new firmware to hopefully fix the transmission problem, and the radio turning itself back on, over and over again. Also I have the morning idle problems.

RPR50
02-19-2006, 05:18 AM
There is a bulletin out on it. Fix can be made w/o removing the windshield. It fixed my rattle. Dave Walter BMW,, Akron, OH (330-720-0791).

Rosettastone
03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a 750 that was purchased in May 2005, at 12k , I started having a windshield cracking noise. It came from the drivers side and occasionaly from the passenger side.
I took it in and was without a car for a week. The dealer returned it only to have the noise appear less conspicious a day later.
They then replaced the seals again, 2 days later the noise became worse.
I just had the windshield replaced and the noise has actually become worse.
Its a nightmare!
Any word on the fix if any. It is torture driving this 80k car that sounds like a jalopy

duke4739
03-08-2006, 01:04 PM
2006 dash rattle: Sorry to hear of the trouble. As I posted on 2/2,I have a 2006 750i,October,that,like many others has this dash rattle. It is brought on by cold weather. Don't know why. In reading another post,I found that lifting the rubber seal gently,and spraying silicone lube into the seal area on the windshield with a straw tube,the noise is eliminated. I did this over 90 days ago,and it is still quiet. The dealer should have a fix,but,if he doesn't,try this. It is very cheap,and it works!

///MLover
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok you guys. My rattle has been back. Even me just getting it back after a week of sitting there again:cry: it is still there. I just want to make sure that is this on a cold start or not? Because i dont think windsheild rattling is only on cold starts. Or am i just on some different planet?

Thanks

duke4739
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
It's NOT cold start. It's cold weather. Seems like temps in 30's and below that the noise occurs. It takes a few minutes after leaving a warm garage. Leave the car outside in sub 30's temps for a length of time and it is worse. The defroster warms that part where the noise occurs,but the colder it gets the warmer you must make it. So, see my post earlier this week for fix. It works!

jensputzier
03-12-2006, 01:07 AM

Well, you are right. But, if I had any one single problem on one of my BMWs that I could have fixed so easily myself, I'd be very happy. Had that window rattle problem on my last 730d as well and I didn't have any fix. Getting a can of WD40 an fixing it myself is way cheaper than driving to the dealer once.

I would fix it myself and consider myself much smarter than the whole bunch of pros at the BMW dealers. That makes you feel good and prevents heart attacks.

After driving BMWs for 15 years I was fed up with all the problems and got myself a Range Rover in September 2005. After five months this car was in the shop for over two months. If you think you know all the electronic problems after driving a BMW, get yourself a Range Rover :D There is not enough WD40 in this world....

I am going to order a BMW again next week, because I think that the sum of all the pros and cons is still better than with any other car out there.

Jens

andy_thomas
03-13-2006, 06:47 AM
...another example is Rolex, they have the worst time keeping devices, theri watches are automatic mechanical devices in the age of solar powered electric watches. their watch is fast 4-20 seconds per day and stops working if you put it in the drawer for 2 days... they have no alarm, no calculator, no adressbook, no MP3 player, but people pay $4000-$10,000 for a typical watch and get a lousy 1 year warranty.... and yet they still buy it....
I think that BMW is the same.... one day we will wake up and find out that a company like Lexus (Toyota) builds better cars, perhaps the LS460? who knows
Ha ha ha - damn those quaint old-hat little automatic watches :). You think one day everyone is going to stop buying Rolexes and start buying Timexes with in-built MP3 player and a calendar function? :rofl:

beimerdude
05-26-2006, 03:47 AM
I just posted a new thread dealing with this windshield cracking noise. I have a 2006 with about 4000 miles on it and I started to hear this cracking noise all the time. What do I need to do ?!

I really don't feel like losing my car for a few days and get a crappy loaner?