PDA

View Full Version : Sunoco 94 no more

Plaz
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
:(

My local Sunoco stopped carrying 94 octane... pump jockey said this was now true for ALL Sunocos. Bummer.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Motown328
02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I thought 94 disappeared a while ago due to no sales?

Plaz
02-02-2006, 11:10 AM

I was buying it regularly up until about a week ago. :bawling:

Penforhire
02-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Some of our Los Angeles area 76 stations still sell an unleaded race gas (105 octane IIRC). Something like $5+ a gallon!

Wingboot
02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
That sucks. I recently moved from NoVa to Idaho. In NoVa I could get 93 or 94 octane. The highest I can get here is 91, they call that premium....and it cost as much as the 93 back east :dunno:

The octanes are 86, 88, 91 I believe. Ethanol is on the way too........uugghhh.

hawk2100n
02-02-2006, 04:57 PM
The east coast pretty much universally has 93 octane, and I stick to shell V-Power, wich is $.10/gal off on sundays, at my closest gas station.

Bart001
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm sure this has come up before, but I seem to recall that the higher octane rating available on the east coast is due to the fuel formulations common on the east coast. 87-89-93 is common on the east coast, and I believe that 87-89-91 is the common mix available on the other coast.

alpinewhite325i
02-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Just filled up and 94 was available...$2.639 / gal.

FalconGuy
02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I hear this was true on the other coast but here its available still...... dont know if its being phased out.

Its going to affect more than the 94 octane though. Sunoco only delivers two grades, 87 and 94. The rest are blends or the two. So with no 94 the mid grade will have to go down unless they also change all the pumps, doubt they would do that.

In High school I pumped Sunoco gas, we sold 86, they phased that grade out but we still had 87/91/93/94

One day an old guy asked for 10 bucks of 87 and 10 bucks of 94, in the same tank. The old coot did the math and figured out he would get 91 ( or close to it) octane for a lot less than the price of the 91 directly. Since then I have always noticed its cheaper to blend your own mix at the pump.....

He was quick, I give him that...

woody underwood
02-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Some of our Los Angeles area 76 stations still sell an unleaded race gas (105 octane IIRC). Something like $5+ a gallon!
The local QuickTrip in Elkhart Lake WI sells leaded race gas...my kinda town. Watched some Porschehead fill up his new 911 with it one afternoon...price of going fast $100...replacing the cat...priceless.

FalconGuy
02-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Its not leaded, cant be, banned long ago. It wont harm his cat at all. There is no lead in any US gas, Nada, not even a little. I'm not saying its a smart buy but it wont hurt his cat and it does not contain lead in any way.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/gasoline.shtml

AF
02-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Here in NY we lost sunoco 94 a few years ago :thumbdwn:

Mike 325xi
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM

My local Sunoco stopped carrying 94 octane... pump jockey said this was now true for ALL Sunocos. Bummer.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I just filled up with 94 a few days ago in PA. I hope they aren't phasing it out. :(

Their website still says they are carrying it everywhere. :confused:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/market/gasolinef.htm

gbelton
02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I just filled up last night in NJ with 94 octane, so I guess we have it for a while. I'll keep checking though I prefer shell. They were closed so I went to Sunoco. GMAN

Plaz
02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Sounds like my pump jockey was just making stuff up as he went along, huh.

I'll go In Search Of... like Nimoy this weekend. A little Sunoco recon. :rofl:

ktc
02-03-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm not understanding what difference it would make above 91 octane if that's already within the composition needed to not detonate within the stock compression ratio??

lil' poppa
02-03-2006, 05:59 AM

@ Motown: check the Sunoco in Pleasant Ridge on Woodward.

Along the lines of ktc's question - I've been cheap by filling up my car with 93. Going with that over 94 won't hurt the engine the way that 89 would, but would I get any noticable performance difference by bumping up to 94? Probably not, I'm guessing.

tcoz
02-03-2006, 06:28 AM
I use either Speedway 93 octane (Speedway stations on every corner around here) or Costco 93. Since both may be considered "second-tier". does anybody know where either gets their gas or has anyone had any bad experiences with either one?

vern
02-03-2006, 07:52 AM
The east coast pretty much universally has 93 octane, and I stick to shell V-Power, wich is $.10/gal off on sundays, at my closest gas station.
Where is that station? I use Shell V Power also.
cheers
vern

Penforhire
02-03-2006, 08:18 AM
ktc, >91 is not needed for stock American vehicles that I know of. But many people turn up forced induction PSI, advance the timing, lean out the A/F ratio, or rebuild NA engines to higher compression. Also if a car was designed to run at 91 octane but has carbon buildup on the pistons it could knock at 91.

Scott ZHP
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Its not leaded, cant be, banned long ago. It wont harm his cat at all. There is no lead in any US gas, Nada, not even a little. I'm not saying its a smart buy but it wont hurt his cat and it does not contain lead in any way.
l (http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/gasoline.shtml)

Uh, not true. Leaded fuel is still available (if you know where to get it) for racing and airline applications. Elkhart Lake is a stones throw from Road America, so it may well have been leaded race gas.

The NASCAR boys still use it every Sunday. Hell, you can buy leaded race gas on-line at www*****racegas.com

mhpilot
02-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I filled my tank with Sunoco 94 yesterday..? When is this supposed to end?

Patrick
02-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Cheaper than the $6.20 USD/gallon, 98E that I buy!

Mike 325xi
02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds like my pump jockey was just making stuff up as he went along, huh.

I'll go In Search Of... like Nimoy this weekend. A little Sunoco recon. :rofl:

Just to check I pulled through a Sunoco today as I was passing and they still had 94. :dunno:

whiskey.org
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
WTF do you need 94 for?

wwb4
02-03-2006, 03:55 PM
We still have 94 here at our local Sunocos in the DC Metro area? :dunno:

wwb4
02-03-2006, 03:56 PM
That sucks. I recently moved from NoVa to Idaho. In NoVa I could get 93 or 94 octane. The highest I can get here is 91, they call that premium....and it cost as much as the 93 back east :dunno:

The octanes are 86, 88, 91 I believe. Ethanol is on the way too........uugghhh.

On a side note....I live in the NOVA area now, and used to live in Idaho....what part of Idaho you in? I used to live in Mtn. Home....it's about an hour outside of Boise.

Mike 325xi
02-03-2006, 04:38 PM
WTF do you need 94 for?

In my case and I think Plaz's case we have the Shark Injector. When I was living in CA if I didn't use an octane booster my car would have a detonation problem on the 91 octane CA crap gas. No problems when I use 94.

Pinecone
02-04-2006, 06:09 PM
1) In Idaho it may be due to altitude. At higher altitude you don't need as much AKI as the thinner air effectively reduces compression.

2) No more 94 in MD stations, but a couple do sell GT 100 (98 AKI) at a PREMIUM price.

3) Why? Because there are times when the minimum required AKI will not allow full ignition advance and full power. So you are doing it for the occasional time that this is true. Also some cars, like the E46 M3 actually gain HP as you increase AKI up to a point (about 96 for the M3). I find both the E46 M3 and LTW run better and seem to rev more freely and easier with unleaded race gas. Not enough to run it all the time though (at least no in the E46, at about 1200 miles per year, the LTW normally runs GT100).

Wingboot
02-05-2006, 11:37 AM
On a side note....I live in the NOVA area now, and used to live in Idaho....what part of Idaho you in? I used to live in Mtn. Home....it's about an hour outside of Boise.

I've been to Mtn Home. I'm living in Boise. Not a bad change from Nova. Except the roads out here suck. I am tramlining all over the place. It wasn't too noticeable back east but most of the roads here have grooves in them. It's especially bad on I84 but it's there even on the city roads. My car has 18" Bridgestones. I'm hoping a tire change will help in the future.

vern
02-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I love when a poster states something in there post and when you question it they don't answer you. Because its B/S. To the best of my knowledge in N.J. Shell only offers you
$.06 off per gal.on certain days,(and not all stations do this), + there 5% discount.
OK poster prove me wrong.Where is the station that gives you $.10 off per gal. on Sundays!!!!!!!!!! I would like to push some business there way.
cheers
vern

FalconGuy
02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Uh, not true. Leaded fuel is still available (if you know where to get it) for racing and airline applications. Elkhart Lake is a stones throw from Road America, so it may well have been leaded race gas.

The NASCAR boys still use it every Sunday. Hell, you can buy leaded race gas on-line at www*****racegas.com

You cant buy this at a pump, that's what I meant. The amount of lead is 1 1000'th of what "leaded gas was to most of us. To say its leaded is really misleading. I work at an airport, we sell leaded gas, if you look at how much lead is there its literaly false advertising to say it contains lead. There is no retail pump anywhere in the USA selling leaded gas, it was an act of congress. None, Nada.....

I was referring to the poster who though that guy in the Porsche was putting leaded gas in his car, he wasn't.... No where can you buy what you and I know as "leaded Gas" even those links are not what we know as leaded gas, not even close.

But I get your point, for those silly enough, someone will sell you gas they claim is "Leaded" when you know its not.......

Those prices made me laugh, almost made the 21,000 pounds of Jet A at 5.79 a Gallon I signed for last week sound like a bargain

PT Barnum was right.....:rofl:

FalconGuy
02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I love when a poster states something in there post and when you question it they don't answer you. Because its B/S. To the best of my knowledge in N.J. Shell only offers you
$.06 off per gal.on certain days,(and not all stations do this), + there 5% discount.
OK poster prove me wrong.Where is the station that gives you $.10 off per gal. on Sundays!!!!!!!!!! I would like to push some business there way.
cheers
vern

It was 7 cents off here on Tuesday's, not anymore though...... I was so used to buying only on Tuesday too

The guy I asked said it might come back but his station was selling 70% of its VPower on Tuesdays only... no idea why that was bad but I see the signs have been takin down at all the shell stations I drive by...

Guess I gotta go look for another way to save money on gas......

Pinecone
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
You cant buy this at a pump, that's what I meant. The amount of lead is 1 1000'th of what "leaded gas was to most of us. To say its leaded is really misleading. I work at an airport, we sell leaded gas, if you look at how much lead is there its literaly false advertising to say it contains lead. There is no retail pump anywhere in the USA selling leaded gas, it was an act of congress. None, Nada.....

I was referring to the poster who though that guy in the Porsche was putting leaded gas in his car, he wasn't.... No where can you buy what you and I know as "leaded Gas" even those links are not what we know as leaded gas, not even close.

But I get your point, for those silly enough, someone will sell you gas they claim is "Leaded" when you know its not.......

Those prices made me laugh, almost made the 21,000 pounds of Jet A at 5.79 a Gallon I signed for last week sound like a bargain

PT Barnum was right.....:rofl:

Wrong - aviation fuel (not jet fuel) is mostly leaded (yes, tetraethyl lead), and leaded at higher level than was common even for leaded auto gas. 100LL still has 4 times the lead of 80 aviation fuel, which has 0.5 grams per gallon. It is only low lead compared to the old 100/130 (green) aviation fuel, which was up around 8 - 10 grams per gallon. And they still blend up 115/145 (purple) for use at Reno every year that has much more lead than youever would imagine compared to auto fuel. Yes there is 96UL around in limited ares, this is 100LL without any lead at all. Realize that aviation fuel ratings are not the same as auto fuel ratings so teh numbers are not direcetly comparable.

Jet fuel is different stuff and is not leaded, but it isn't gasoline anyway, it is more like kerosene or diesel fuel. Different fraction off the cracking process.

WRONG - Plenty of RETAIL leaded fuel pumps in the US at race tracks, not counting the aviation fuel pumps mentioned. What there are not is leaded fuel pumps for road use. Different taxes paid. VIR has 2 grades of leaded Sunoco race fuel. Summit Point has 1 or 2 grades. Watkins Glen has 1 grade last tiem I was there. Put in a credit card and pump the gas. But not legal for public road use, as road use taxes have not been paid. Same with aviaition fuel, legal for race cars on race tracks, but not legal for you to use on the road.

Some Sunoco stations and some Union 76 stations do have pumps for road use unleaded racing fuels.

And there are also unleaded race fuels that will kill your cats also, due to excessive amounts of MTBE. VP Race Fuels make several that cannot be used with cat equipped cars. But no VP pumps that I know of.

Of course it would be hard to pump leaded fuel into an unleaded only car due the differences in fuel filler size and fuel nozzle size. Leaded fuel pumps use a larger fuel nozzle that will not fit into the hole in unleadedonly cars. This has been true since the 70s.

And who the heck is selling Jet-A at over $5 a gallon, that is CRAZY pricing.

wwb4
02-06-2006, 12:55 AM
I've been to Mtn Home. I'm living in Boise. Not a bad change from Nova. Except the roads out here suck. I am tramlining all over the place. It wasn't too noticeable back east but most of the roads here have grooves in them. It's especially bad on I84 but it's there even on the city roads. My car has 18" Bridgestones. I'm hoping a tire change will help in the future.

Yeah....I lived there many years ago........we were stationed at Mtn. Home AFB because he was a fighter pilot flying the F-111A in the '80s before they were decommisioned. It's a different world from NOVA.......desert in the summer.......and feet of snow in the winter. Only thing I miss was skiing at Bogus Basin and Sun Valley......great powder. :thumbup:

FalconGuy
02-06-2006, 04:22 AM
I work at the bussiest corporate jet/ private piston plane airport in the world ( I am a Pilot and a Mechanic) , you find me leaded gas here I will buy you a M3, deal?

It is like sasquatch or the female orgasm, pure myth

YOU CANNOT BUY LEADED GAS AT A RETAIL PUMP IN THE USA....... NADA, NONE. That was the point of my post and you confirmed it. Geez, you really should stop breaking the pills in half:dunno:

I wont even comment on the rest of your post other to say that I guess the Steelers win got your knickers in a twist?:rofl:

Pinecone
02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Which airport? What planet are you on? Does your airport sell Avgas? 100LL to be specific? That is 2 grams per gallon of tetraethyl lead. You ever hear of TCP? It is a fuel additive to to allow better lead scavenging so that engines designed for 80/87 fuel do not stick valves when running on 100LL due to the much higher lead content.

Look into what the new 96UL fuel is, which is only in limited areas. It is 100LL without any lead.

I guess you also know that MTBE is not allowed by the FAA as an octane enchancer for use in aircraft engines, which is a problem for those running the EAA MOGAS STC. So how esle do you get 100 without lead?

Define retail? To me, retail means that it is sold from a pump directly to an end user, versus wholesale, which is from a distributor to a retail outlet, like where the trucks come from that fill the tanks at the airport, gas station or race track. If you are defining it as a street fuel pump, you are right, but that is not the normal definition of retail sales.

You keep saying that there is no leaded fuel, but you offer no proof. Get me the MSDS sheet for your AVGAS you sell, you do have them don't you? Your company should. And show me that TEL is NOT listed.

Try these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/aviationfuel/10_ag_composition.shtm (of course the people who make it have NO clue as to what they are making according to you)

http://www.airbp.com/airbp/public/fuels/premium.html (another supplier who seems to not know they don't put lead i ntheir fuel)

http://www.generalaviationnews.com/editorial/articledetail.lasso?-token.key=11171&-token.src=column&-nothing (funny GA is worrying about the lack of availability of a product that you say doesn't exist)

http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/epa/peaoil.html (hmm, a Canadian gov source about a product that doesn't exist, according to YOU)

http://www.epa.gov/bns/lead/steplead.html (US EPA if you don't trust the Canadians)

Show me a source that shows no lead in avgas.

BTW I have been flying since 1971. Commercial ASMEL, IA, G, RH, Private ASES, Flight Instructor ASE, IA, G, RH. And have an engineering degree.

Plaz
02-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Stopped at another NJ Sunoco today that stopped carrying 94... the one on the left just after you exit the Holland Tunnel.

FalconGuy
02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I work out of TEB, busiest corporate airport in the world.
ME/CFII/Multi engine/ATP, too many type ratings to list but the one I make my living with....
Da50 Series type
also hold an A&P with IA+ Aeronautical Degree
And I bet my dad can beat up your dad

If you go and read the post I responded to..... you will see what I said was the man pumping high octane fuel in his Porsche wasn't getting any lead:tsk: He wasn't, nada, none. You can post all the links you want, he still aint getting lead....

You should stop splitting those pills in half:tsk:

BTW this is current my equipment........

Pinecone
02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
You ought to read your own posts. If he was at a track day, he could very well have pumped leaded gas into his car. At VIR they have 4 grades of fuel at the pumps. 2 are unleaded (93 and GT100) and two leaded (100 and 114). Similar at most tracks, because many race cars run leaded fuel.

So what do you called leaded gas? You say that the stuff available these says is not leaded. The specs for avgas haven't changed in more than 30 years as to lead content. But according to you, 100LL now contains less than .002 grams per gallon of lead. Show me.

Big deal, all trash haulers in concept. Real men fly fighters. :) Former A-10 driver. Also flown the Su-25 and Mig-29. :flipoff:

adc
02-08-2006, 02:17 PM
So guys, where in NOVA can I still get Sunoco 94? Or the better stuff, the GT100?

I would only be interested when I take my car to the track in the hot summer days...

Many thanks,

adc
03 330 ZHP

Scott ZHP
02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Former A-10 driver. Also flown the Su-25 and Mig-29. :flipoff:

Man, I've always wanted to pull the trigger for that nose cannon.

Baddies:violent: Warthog

FalconGuy
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Penforhire

This was the post, where the hell did you get the word track from? I bet your single? cause you never could say your wrong? I still stand by my post, you cant buy leaded gas per what was written above.

You really need to stop splitting your pills in half.

With that post count I would also suggest you get out once and a while, your obviously in need of some fresh air and real human interaction. Man lighten up..........:rofl:

I wont do the flip off, just another to add to the ignore list, get a life. I could just picture you running home to type out these verbose responses, amusing.

By the way, my co worker owns 2 migs, if your interested he is selling one... Plus a few assorted fighters from around the world, I will give him a shameless plug here

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/rap/RedStarAviation/contrac.HTML

doeboy
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
In my case and I think Plaz's case we have the Shark Injector. When I was living in CA if I didn't use an octane booster my car would have a detonation problem on the 91 octane CA crap gas. No problems when I use 94.

Exactly. My car has knock issues on crap 91 as well. It really wants 94 for daily driving but it's too much of a pain to go find a station that sells 100, or to go buy tons of booster from the local auto parts store.

I find the car runs a lot happier after driving it like I stole it at a track event over a weekend. However a couple days of tame street driving and the knocking comes back. :banghead:

I may try unsharking and see if it really starts going away. But I love the throttle response and would hate to give it up. :cry:

Plaz
02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I unsharked due to knocking after only 6 months or so... I was worried I was doing long term damage.

To tell you the truth, I don't miss it at all. Though I probably would if I still lived out west and was going on Death Valley runs... pesky speed limiter.

swchang
02-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I unsharked due to knocking after only 6 months or so... I was worried I was doing long term damage.

To tell you the truth, I don't miss it at all. Though I probably would if I still lived out west and was going on Death Valley runs... pesky speed limiter.

Silly question, but how can you tell it's knocking? Does it take a while for the engine to start when you turn the key in the ignition or something?

Mike 325xi
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Exactly. My car has knock issues on crap 91 as well. It really wants 94 for daily driving but it's too much of a pain to go find a station that sells 100, or to go buy tons of booster from the local auto parts store.

I find the car runs a lot happier after driving it like I stole it at a track event over a weekend. However a couple days of tame street driving and the knocking comes back. :banghead:

I may try unsharking and see if it really starts going away. But I love the throttle response and would hate to give it up. :cry:

While I was living in CA I bought a case of Trick octane boost from Emission's business...that seemed to do the trick, so to speak, when mixed one can with each tank of 91 CA gas while I was in CA. No knocking except the few times that I didn't put it in.

Now back in PA I use 94 almost all of the time or 93 if I need a fill up and am not near a Sunoco and haven'theard any knocking at all.

The car is no faster with the shark, it is a 325xi SUV wanna be boat after all, but the difference in throttle response is worth the pain of adding octane booster or finding 93-94 octane gas.

Plaz
02-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Silly question, but how can you tell it's knocking? Does it take a while for the engine to start when you turn the key in the ignition or something?

In situations where I would put the hammer down to get torque at lower revs, like going up a moderate hill in 3rd at suburban speeds, it would sound like someone was shaking a can of marbles under the hood.

Maybe that's technically "pinging" rather than "knocking," though.

BahnBaum
02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Maybe that's technically "pinging" rather than "knocking," though.

I always referred to that as pinging. Maybe it's a soda vs. pop thing.

Alex

Plaz
02-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I always referred to that as pinging. Maybe it's a soda vs. pop thing.

Alex

I think you're right... pinging is detonation before the spark, knocking (long) after the spark, perhaps?

Steven323
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Well here in Toronto, Canada we still have 94 octane, i just filled up my tank :thumbup:. Its good to be Canadian :)

vern
02-09-2006, 06:29 AM
I hope all the posters that are using 87 octane,because of the gas prices being so high and say its ok read the information here about having problems with 91 octane.It just might change there mind and they will go to a higher octane and stop being so cheap .
cheers
vern

wwb4
02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
So guys, where in NOVA can I still get Sunoco 94? Or the better stuff, the GT100?

I would only be interested when I take my car to the track in the hot summer days...

Many thanks,

adc
03 330 ZHP

One can still get 94 at the Sunoco in VA, in Falls Church, VA off of rt 7......across the street from the Taco Bell and Jiffy Lube. PM me if you need additional directions.

wwb4
02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Former A-10 driver. Also flown the Su-25 and Mig-29. :flipoff:

So you're former USAF.......they flew the A-10....F-4.....F-111A.....EF-111....and C-130 out of Mtn. Home, ID when my father and our family were stationed there "many" years ago. :D

Pinecone
02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Man, I've always wanted to pull the trigger for that nose cannon.

Baddies:violent: Warthog

It WAS fun, but I always felt that shooting rockets was more fun. :)

Pinecone
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
So you're former USAF.......they flew the A-10....F-4.....F-111A.....EF-111....and C-130 out of Mtn. Home, ID when my father and our family were stationed there "many" years ago. :D

Hmm, didn't know that A-10 were at MH, unless just there TDY.

111 is an awesmoe bird, especially behind one when he fires up the burners prior to his takeoff roll.

Pinecone
02-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Many thanks,

adc
03 330 ZHP

For GT 100 go to the Sunoco race gas site (www.racegas.com). You can also call the distributor in SW VA:

World Wide Racing Fuels, Inc.
US Route 15
New Canton, VA 23123

(800) 648-2262
Please contact for additional locations.

They can also sell it to yo in 5 gallons cans up to 55 gallon drums.

dima123
02-13-2006, 02:46 PM
filled up with sunoco 94 about 2-3 months ago out in Long island... Guess it ranges from gas stations.....

wakiza
02-14-2006, 09:17 PM
If you guys have time read this excellent article from Gasoline Digest regarding gasoline for high performance vehicles.

The web sight is: http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/

Pinecone
02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
VERY good article.

Only minor thing is defining flammable. Flammable is defined as thos emateraials which will form a vapor that will burn at fairly low temps. Comustable are those materials that require higher temps to form a vapor that can ignite. In some respects volatility and flammability are linked. If the volatility is too low, the material is no longer flammable.