PDA

View Full Version : TireRack question about flat spots in tires

jacksprat
02-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I dont drive my 745i all that much and right now it sits on 22" rims that have super skinny sideewalls, 295/25 and 265/30

My question is, will the tires get "flat spots" from just sitting in my garage and not moving for weeks at a time? The 2003 745i is a heavy car and I read that you can get these "flat spots" on your tires when they sit for too long. Is this true or something that I should be worried about? thanks!

Gary@Tirerack
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I dont drive my 745i all that much and right now it sits on 22" rims that have super skinny sideewalls, 295/25 and 265/35

My question is, will the tires get "flat spots" from just sitting in my garage and not moving for weeks at a time? The 2003 745i is a heavy car and I read that you can get these "flat spots" on your tires when they sit for too long. Is this true or something that I should be worried about? thanks!

Some tires on some vehicles tend to hold that flat area for a few miles until the tires warm up. The Tire Rack refers to this as 'memory'. This is not something to lose sleep about and is not actually flat spotting despite this condition commonly being called that. Flat spotting is a much more serious condition where a part of the tire is literally worn flat in an area, such as from non-ABS lockup or severe sliding from a car accident.

jacksprat
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
wow fast response time!! Thank's for the info Gary!

So if I drive the car at least once a month I should be ok and the tires will not have that "memory" condition?

Gary@Tirerack
02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
wow fast response time!! Thank's for the info Gary!

So if I drive the car at least once a month I should be ok?

No way to tell in advance.

Regardless, this condition is not permanent and will go away after the tires warm up and a normally within a few miles of driving. I've stored vehicles for 6+mo or longer on sticky, low profile summer tires and it did not take long for the memory spots to go away.

jacksprat
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
ok I am much relieved now...I was planning on putting the car up on jacks to relieve the pressure on the tires ahhaha glad I dont have to now.

Gary@Tirerack
02-02-2006, 05:35 PM
ok I am much relieved now...I was planning on puttin the car up on jacks to relieve the pressure on the tires ahhaha

YMMV, but NOT worth the bother IMO.