PDA

View Full Version : Rattle at idle, goes away when clutch is engaged!! HELP

KK
02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Fellas,

I have a 5 SP, 98 328iS with 50K Miles. Lately, I have noticed a rattle from the engine compartment at idle that goes away when I engage the clutch!!:confused:

This only happens when at idle and is there when cold or warmed up.

I tried searching but didnt come up with any useful answers.

Any help is highly appreciated:)

KK
02-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Any ideas guys??

KK
02-10-2006, 09:51 AM
HELlOOO!!

AussiePaul
02-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a gearbox bearing, possibly input shaft.

When you engage the clutch (push it in) the gearbox internals stop spinning, hence the noisy bearing is not turning. Even when in neutral, some internals still spin, including the input shaft.

Hope this helps.

KK
02-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the response man!

It just doesnt sound like a bearing.....more over, it starts only after the engine warms up.

It is also absent at all times except when idling in neutral. Even at stand still when I engage the clutch it goes away!!

my_e36
02-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Exhaust mounts?

AussiePaul
02-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Going by the fact that it goes away when the clutch is pushed in makes me think it has to be something drivetrain related....... hmmmmm

KK
02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I know:confused: It's bugging the living day lights out of me....I have to take it to a mechanic this week to get it checked out.

KK
04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Now I am really lost!! I took it to GT International Motors Ltd. for an oil change and had John Norris the owner take a look at it. He wasnt sure what it was....he is recommending me to change the trannny fluid to see if it helps....

Guys, BMW pros, any body!! any ideas??

KK
04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
bump

alphine325IS
04-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Trade me for my 92 325is. It doesn't have any rattles, so there ya go problem solved! :thumbup:

cjwheeling
04-10-2006, 12:04 AM
clutch throwout bearing

BeRzErKaS
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Now I am really lost!! I took it to GT International Motors Ltd. for an oil change and had John Norris the owner take a look at it. He wasnt sure what it was....he is recommending me to change the trannny fluid to see if it helps....

Guys, BMW pros, any body!! any ideas??

Find a new mechanic.

Preferably one that knows what "flywheel chatter" is. He should be able to help you out.

Have you recently installed a new clutch or perhaps and aftermarket LTW flywheel?

JordanMGregory
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Is it more of a rattle than a spinning 'whine'? I have the same problem but mine is a while rather that a clunking rattle sound.

Just Bryce
04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
clutch throwout bearing
:stupid:

Bimrpwr
04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Quote from KK it starts only after the engine warms up

I doubt it is a throwout bearing...if the sound only comes when it is warm...if it was it would be making the sounds no matter if cold or warm from my experience on the e30 that i had.

KK
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
It looks like its there when cold too...its just louder when warmed up!!

I am getting a lot of throw out bearing answers.....how much should it cost me to have it replaced??

Clarke
04-12-2006, 03:13 AM
It does sound like a fairly classic Throwout bearing issue.Since they will have to drop the transmission to replace it you should go ahead and replace the clutch and pressure plate at the same time.Any fairly good mechanic should be able to spot a failing throwout bearing in about 20 seconds.Good Luck!:thumbup:

CJH
04-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Suspect throwout bearing rattling on fork, fork pivot ball, pressure plate fingers or dual mass flywheel. It will likely continue until you need to replace the clutch.

STE!COUPE!
04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Clutch release bearing mate definatley, bin there!!

excdragonreborn
04-15-2006, 08:20 PM
It does sound like a fairly classic Throwout bearing issue.Since they will have to drop the transmission to replace it you should go ahead and replace the clutch and pressure plate at the same time.Any fairly good mechanic should be able to spot a failing throwout bearing in about 20 seconds.Good Luck!:thumbup:

Yeah that totally sounds like a trowout bearing. I should know. It's happened on my civic, my jetta and passat. I should stop dumping my gears :)
I suggest installing a new clutch and re-surfacing the flywheel, Or if you got the cash get a Alum flywheel. I suggest Ebay.

KK
04-17-2006, 07:00 PM
My clutch seems to be OK so should I wait for the clutch to go before I change every thing? Apart from the annoying rattle at idle this doesnt seem to affect the driving one bit...

If I do have to change immediately, what clutch set do u guys recommend? Should I go OEM or aftermarket??

Can some one recommend a good independent mechanic in Los Angeles / Hollywood / West LA

Thanks again!!

KK
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
bump

Bimrpwr
04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
https://secure5.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=bimmerworl&BusType=BtoC&Count1=246471583&Count2=163612008&CategoryID=59&Target=products.asp

stickhead
04-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a gearbox bearing, possibly input shaft.

When you engage the clutch (push it in) the gearbox internals stop spinning, hence the noisy bearing is not turning. Even when in neutral, some internals still spin, including the input shaft.

Hope this helps.

I think Aussie is on the right track once we get some terminology cleared up:

Clutch disengaged means pedal pushed in(ctuch disk is disengaged from the flywheel) if there is a noise at this point then look to the throw out bearing as the problem.

Clutch engaged means pedal is not depresed(cluth disk engaged to the flywheel) if there is a noise here then look for a gearbox bearing.

Hope this helps but either way the gearbox is coming out.:cry:

KK
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
I think Aussie is on the right track once we get some terminology cleared up:

Clutch disengaged means pedal pushed in(ctuch disk is disengaged from the flywheel) if there is a noise at this point then look to the throw out bearing as the problem.

Clutch engaged means pedal is not depresed(cluth disk engaged to the flywheel) if there is a noise here then look for a gearbox bearing.

Hope this helps but either way the gearbox is coming out.:cry:

This seems to make the most sense to me...the noise is there only when the clutch is not depressed and when the transmission is in neutral.....gear box bearing then!!

I am wondering if I should just ignore it since its not really affecting performance:dunno:

alrocker99
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I have the same problem and have been driving it for 26000 miles after i did the clutch at 180000 on my 323is i know its NOTTTTTT the throwout bearing. i've been told its one of 2 problems. one being the dual mass flywheels we have in the car getting weak from abuse or the input shaft bearing. i can guarantee you it is effecting the drivability of the car like mine but yours isnt noticable yet( over time it will get worse) but i havent fixed mine yet but i think the cheaper route would be the input shaft bearing. and also try the driveshaft bearing in the middle

wag-zhp
03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Why bump a 5 year old thread that had such a lame description of the problem that the thread was useless?

noexceptions325
03-03-2011, 11:08 PM
exactly! except for the fact that it brought up memories of wher a few of these guys were still active on the e30 side... ohh the good ol' days