PDA

View Full Version : X5 leaser's remorse? Should have gotten an E90?

3soon2B5
02-03-2006, 10:15 PM
I have had my X5 for about 10 weeks and I really do like the car. I got a tremendous deal and it is a much nicer car than I thought I would end up with for the price.

When the lease on my E46 330i ended, I thought I wanted something roomier and more comfortable (I am about 6'2 and while the 330i fit my frame, I did sometimes feel claustrophobic and felt that I "looked to big for the car"). The E60 didn't really appeal to me and I wouldn't have been able to have gotten the engine and options I wanted for the price I was willing to pay (530i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, etc.). I didn't really consider the E90 at the time, because I was ready for a change. So, I got the X5...I had always liked how they looked and I really liked how it drove...plus it was spacious and comfortable and was a lot of car ($50,520) for $570 per month....plus it was only for two years with no money down....what did I have to lose?

Now, I see all of the praise for the E90 floating around out there and I remember how much I loved my E46 (also that car chase scene in Houston reminded me of the 3's capabilities...not that I would ever test them that way). While I had SUVs before the E46 and liked them/was comfortable in them, my E46 was hands down the most rewarding car I ever drove. My X5 is much closer to an E46 than the Grand Cherokees that I had in the past, but it can never deliver the sheer joy that the E46 or the E90 can.

I am now considering posting the X5 on swapalease and getting an E90 (330i, sport, premium, etc.) if I could do so without it costing any more....I keep wavering back and forth (I really like the X5 and it is not uncommon for me to question my purchases) Does anybody have any thoughts?

derekjbock
02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
you should have gotten the 4.4i..you wouldn't have had remorse

whiskey.org
02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
ha ha who would pick up the last year of a vehicle's production run??

3soon2B5
02-04-2006, 04:20 AM
I drove the 4.4i and didn't see how it was worth $100 more per month. I could drive it again, but I'm pretty sure more hp and torque don't make the car handle/maneuver like an E46.

As for buying the last year of a production run....I too thought it seemed crazy. Then I remembered that: 1) I liked the way the car looks...it aged well 2) this is a 2 year lease 3) I wouldn't have gotten the new X5 in its first year of production anyhow (especially when the car is coming to the US before it goes to Europe)....which means the first time I would consider the new x5 is 2 years from now.

To be clear (and I mean no offense to the previous posters), I am attempting to be forward-looking with my inquiry.....meaning I don't want to rehash (yet again) why I chose the X5, but I would rather hear people's thoughts on whether or not I should get out of it and get an E90 instead.

tcoz
02-04-2006, 05:42 AM
I have had my X5 for about 10 weeks and I really do like the car. I got a tremendous deal and it is a much nicer car than I thought I would end up with for the price.

When the lease on my E46 330i ended, I thought I wanted something roomier and more comfortable (I am about 6'2 and while the 330i fit my frame, I did sometimes feel claustrophobic and felt that I "looked to big for the car"). The E60 didn't really appeal to me and I wouldn't have been able to have gotten the engine and options I wanted for the price I was willing to pay (530i, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, etc.). I didn't really consider the E90 at the time, because I was ready for a change. So, I got the X5...I had always liked how they looked and I really liked how it drove...plus it was spacious and comfortable and was a lot of car ($50,520) for $570 per month....plus it was only for two years with no money down....what did I have to lose?

Now, I see all of the praise for the E90 floating around out there and I remember how much I loved my E46 (also that car chase scene in Houston reminded me of the 3's capabilities...not that I would ever test them that way). While I had SUVs before the E46 and liked them/was comfortable in them, my E46 was hands down the most rewarding car I ever drove. My X5 is much closer to an E46 than the Grand Cherokees that I had in the past, but it can never deliver the sheer joy that the E46 or the E90 can.

I am now considering posting the X5 on swapalease and getting an E90 (330i, sport, premium, etc.) if I could do so without it costing any more....I keep wavering back and forth (I really like the X5 and it is not uncommon for me to question my purchases) Does anybody have any thoughts?
I know how you feel. Your story is exactly like mine except that I sold my E46 and went with an X3 because I needed what I thought would be the extra space. I really missed my car and after 11 months, sold my X3 lease on swapalease and leased my present 530xiT which really does provide the extra room I needed in addition to driving like a BMW. I'm a happy man once again.

My advice would be to post your X5 on swapalease and see what happens. If the lease terms are good and you have plenty of miles left, someone will likely pick it up. Keep in mind that the lease transfer process with BMWFS takes about a month from start to finish. Good luck.

SteveinBelAir
02-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Or just hang with it for 2 years and roll into a 335 :)

mullman
02-04-2006, 06:19 AM
IMHO you are just renting it for two years, not like you are married to it for life.
When my '00 540i6 lease came up, I was faced with getting the last year of the E39 or an X5. Since my folks X5 (1st run) had caught fire in the garage and spent most of its life in the dealer's service dept, I went to Mercedes. The E90 was still a few years out and most the BMW line was due for a refresh in the 2003 timeframe.

The X5 3.0 manual is no sloutch and IMHO fun to drive.
The 4.4 of course is auto only, but the gas mileage takes a dive.

Its only two years, roll with it.

With all that said my dealer let me keep a 330 sport/premium/nav (manual of course) for a weekend and it was an incredible machine. Not as fast as the 550 I drove last weekend, but still...

jrp
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Or just hang with it for 2 years and roll into a 335 :)

:stupid:

drallafi
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
A $50,000 car for $570/month? :yikes: That can get you arrested in some places, can't it?

derekjbock
02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I hear your dilemna..I just picked up a 4.4i x5 because my infiniti Qx4 was getting old..I love it..it handles incredibly well for a large vehicle..but I also have a 2004 330xi that my wife drives...so I can tool around in that when I get the 'jones'. I looked at both the new 3 and 5 and they're nice...but I wouldn't give up the x for them

LA525iT
02-04-2006, 03:24 PM

For buying (not leasing) I'll always go for the last year of a production. Get huge discounts, all the bugs are worked out... I got my E39 in Aug 2003 with every option for less than a 325iT would have cost me. Plus, the thing has had perfect reliability, as opposed to my Z4 which has been in to the shop 3 times in the first 3 months of ownership.

3soon2B5
02-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I am pretty happy with the X5. I only drive one night or two during the week and on weekends. Even though I only have 10K allowed per year, I will probably put on about 8K this year. So, in about 8 months I will think about putting it on swap-a-lease (and will have a really cheap lease rate . In the meantime I will certainly enjoy it.

My only concern is that the 335i will not get the good lease rates like a 330i, and will lease out more like an M3 (which seemingly does not lease with the same incentives as the more "pedestrian" BMWs). Oh well, I guess no worries for now.

X550-ED
02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
E90 is DEFINATELY a great choice considering you will get more than 12~18 MPG on it =)

Rowag
02-07-2006, 09:44 PM
If you're tall and looking for good room, another option you should consider is a used 745Li:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122818&highlight=745Li

BayAreaBMWFan managed to swing a full-warranty, full-maintenance 3-year/15k lease on a 745Li for $513.84 a month plus tax ($556.02 net) with no money down.

It's not a 3, but I'd take that over an X5 anyday unless I absolutely needed off-road capabilities.

mapsbmw
02-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Someone who's lease ended and needed a new car????