PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up after being passed?

KevinH
02-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not an aggressive or annoying driver. I don't street race and don't give a rats ass whose car beats mine off the line. I do, however, drive farely fast in the fast lane of major freeways.

Virtually every time I come up on someone driving slower than me, the same thing happens.

I approach the car doing 0-5mph over the speed limit in the left hand lane of the five lanes available. I don't tailgate, per se, and don't flash my lights. I just sit a few car lengths back and wait for the person to hang up the phone, put down his coffee, and find the CD he's looking for. If the driver doesn't notice me, I'll pass on the inside.

After passing, I resume my speed. Inevitably, the person behind me will stomp it and ride my bumper, now going 15 mph faster than he was when I passed.

What is the deal? I never noticed this when driving my POS Ford Explorer at the same speeds.

kobechrome
02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
He's looking for a pace car. You become the pace car. Pretty common practice, albeit annoying.

alpinewhite325i
02-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I too experience this unexplainable phenomenon.

I'm not sure if they're looking for a pace car or if they are just complete idiots.

hawk2100n
02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I get this too, and the people who do pace usually drive the worst cars for the job, SUV's, Old cars, ricers. To get rid of the pacer, I usually look for a long opening in the right lane and shoot ahead, as they usually stay in the left.

milobloom242
02-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Happens alot here too - either they're a pacer, or comatose until you attempt to pass them at which point they turn into a-holes and speed up so you don't get in front of them, tailgate or try to pass you.

mullman
02-05-2006, 11:38 AM
ditto.

I drive from Charlotte-Maine, Charlotte-Mass, and Charlotte-Orlando once a year, usually all night. The night drives make it a little better, but the experience is the same.

Passing them suddenly makes them wake up and possibly assume the speed they wished to drive in the first place, which puts them on your bumper :rofl:

KevinH
02-05-2006, 01:29 PM
or try to pass you.

That's when I really laugh. Some nights when I'm coming home from work pretty late, I'll set the cruise and hop in the left lane.

It's amazing how many times I pass someone only to have them pass me back. Then I'll pass them again and they pass me back. All the while I'm driving at EXACTLY the same speed because the cruise is set.

It looks like my speed is faster than they want to drive but they also don't want to be passed. :dunno:

Mapless
02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll set the cruise and hop in the left lane.

Please stop doing this, left lane's for passing, not for cruising in.
Not that anyone in the US understands this, as is evident anywhere you drive, ESPECIALLY in the southern states.

mullman
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Yep.
Pass and move right...I don't think they teach this in "driver's education" anymore.

ESPECIALLY in the southern states.

wwb4
02-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Yep.
Pass and move right...I don't think they teach this in "driver's education" anymore.

Unless you're "continuing" to pass. :D

mullman
02-05-2006, 02:54 PM
wwb4,

Your sig definitely qualifies you for that: Dinan M5 :thumbup:

Unless you're "continuing" to pass. :D

Penforhire
02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Most of 'em aren't looking for a pace car, IMO. They're just annoyed that they no longer "control" the view of their lane ahead of them. These idiots have little awareness (hence didn't notice you close on 'em) but you "violated" their sphere of influence when they see you in that 60 degree cone of vision they maintain.

markseven
02-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Happens alot here too - either they're a pacer, or comatose until you attempt to pass them at which point they turn into a-holes and speed up so you don't get in front of them, tailgate or try to pass you.

:mad: Yes, this is true where I live as well. SlowGuy in front, I make the move to the next lane and start to pull ahead, and SlowGuy either realizes he is going too slow or is just a meathead who, as penforhire put it, is "just annoyed that they no longer "control" the view of their lane ahead of them". What kind of psychotic behavior is this? Are people so competitive that they want to lead an imaginary race against imaginary opponents? :mad:

Wingboot
02-05-2006, 06:36 PM
A timely post for me because I was about to post a rant about how I hate driving in the U.S.

I was living in Germany for the past five years and now the party is over. I think the "it's all about me" attitude most Americans have combined with general ignorance is to blame.

No lane control and no speed control over here. It's really frustrating because it's such an easy thing. It happens to me over and over. Speed limit 65, I have cruise set at 70 or 75, I check my mirrors and move over for faster traffic. Often I come up on someone and try to pass them and wether they are in the left lane or right they often speed up only to slow again in a short time. Pick a speed and drive it....jeez.

But whats worse than that is when I'm cruising in the right lane and someone comes up in the left lane going a solid 5 to 10 m.p.h. faster than me. I'm coming up on slower traffic. What happens........you guessed it the idiot slows down and blocks me in instead of completing the pass. WTF???? In Germany people will often speed up to complete the pass because they see you are closing on slower traffic in the right lane.:mad:

Aaarrrggghh... gotta go chill out for a while now.

I don't even want to start on piss poor merging, slowing too much on an exit ramp, the long pause after the light turns green and other in town annoyances like creeping forward while the light is red or driving with cranium in the third point of contact.

All these things happen wether I'm driving my BMW or my truck.

AzNMpower32
02-05-2006, 06:56 PM
In the US, its not really about following posted rules (speed limits) or following proper etiquette (passing on the left). In rare instances where it's possible, I will pass left and then cruise right. Unfortunately thats impossible about 90% of the time so dont bother. I personally like using cruise a lot and hate to cancel/resume, and seeing as how traffic never flows well, I'm often forced to change lanes quite often since it's impossible to go 2 miles without having someone slow in the left lane of a 4 lane highway. I'm always wishing for ACC................

And yes, for some reason people like using german cars such as MB and BMW as pace cars. I get that as an X3 driver all the time in "higher speed" highways like I-95 where cops will pull you for going over 70 but everyone wants to go 80+.

KevinH
02-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Please stop doing this, left lane's for passing, not for cruising in.
Not that anyone in the US understands this, as is evident anywhere you drive, ESPECIALLY in the southern states.

Thanks for the driving lesson but that absolutely doesn't work; at least where I drive. If I were to pull right every time I passed someone, I'd spend my whole drive changing lanes. By simply checking your rear, you can keep your speed AND not drive like a 17 year-old in daddy's car.

cwsqbm
02-05-2006, 07:23 PM
cruising in the right lane and someone comes up in the left lane going a solid 5 to 10 m.p.h. faster than me. I'm coming up on slower traffic. What happens........you guessed it the idiot slows down and blocks me in instead of completing the pass. WTF????
That's my number one pet peeve, especially when driving in wide open spaces between cities. Last time I was on a long trip, I had a Civic come up fast from behind and then slow along side in my blind spot, foricing me to brake and pull in behind to pass trucks. He then slowed even more, so I passed on the right and stayed right with my cruise control on its orignal setting. Next truck I come up to, he tries the same thing, but I cut left before he reaches my rear bumper. He follows me for the next 20 miles until a faster car comes along to pace. Idiots.

akhbhaat
02-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I accelerate to pass and then resume normal cruising speed (which is still faster than whatever car I passed in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to pass) once the pass is complete.

The phenomenon you've described is surprisingly common. It's particularly bad with women in SUVs (an ex-girlfriend of mine once told me that most women don't really "notice" that they're riding so close. Really? No wonder most women are such awful drivers)...and they always seem surprised when I slow back down to 75-80 after passing. Obviously the concept of varying speed is lost on these people.

As an aside, nothing is more annoying than people who don't accelerate to pass. You can create headaches and problems for everybody else on the road in your refusal to exceed the speed limit, even for a very brief duration. Sitting behind some guy doing 73 mph while passing a truck doing 70 in the right lane drives me to the brink of serious road rage. Punch it to 80-85, get over as soon as you finish the pass, and then slow back down to a more comfortable speed! Why is this concept so difficult to grasp? If you're so afraid of getting ticketed (during the whopping 10 seconds at which you're at extra-legal speeds), then stay to the right and wait to pass when you feel comfortable.

Far too many people use the left lane as a cruising lane, as well, even when traffic isn't heavy enough to force that. Problem is, Driver's Education programs in the US (as well as the ticketing process) don't teach or enforce lane discipline or highway etiquette. Most of these people probably don't even have a clue that their driving sucks.

Wingboot
02-05-2006, 10:20 PM
That's true. In all my time driving in Germany I noticed that one could use cruise control only on the most remote sections of the autobahn. One has to vary speed constantly so as not to inconvience others. In other words speed up to pass and sometimes slow to let an obviously faster car pass. Compared to the states the level of cooperation was great. In town as well, people will not drive in the left lane unless there is a reason to do so. Not if they will make a left in 5 miles....

The disparity of speed was much greater there in my opinion. The trucks were driving at 100 kmh for the most part. Not at widely varying speeds like here in the states. Many truckers are simply driving too fast in my opinion. They are getting paid to drive and should act more professionally. Of course, they don't want to deal with the people who don't accelerate to merge onto the highway so they just stay in the left lane in "congested" areas. They are not too bad about getting out of the left lane in remote areas though. Unless the horrible conditions of the right lane just entices them to cruise in the left lane.

It's really annoying when there is a cop doing just under the limit and people will drive right next to him afraid to pass even though they could do so at the limit.

akhbhaat
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh, merging onto the highway is one of the most irritating (and frightening) experiences you can have when driving on US roads.

For one, people already on the highway occasionally seem to assume that they have complete right-of-way (they don't!) and often refuse to go into the left lane - or even open some space between them and the traffic ahead of them on the right - to allow merging traffic room to get in. That, or they feel as though they have to let every single car on the ramp get in ahead of them, causing a massive slowdown for everybody behind.

What's worse, though, is that people do not seem to realize that the entire purpose of a merging lane is to ACCELERATE TO THE SPEED AT WHICH TRAFFIC ON THE HIGHWAY IS ALREADY MOVING so that there isn't a nasty encounter with cars moving 75-80 mph! I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck on an on-ramp going 45-50 mph behind some idiot when traffic is bearing down on us from behind at a 25+ mph differential. One time I laid onto the horn and the guy slowing things down flicked me off and gave me a really nasty look when we finally got onto the highway and I passed him.

wwb4
02-06-2006, 12:10 AM
wwb4,

Your sig definitely qualifies you for that: Dinan M5 :thumbup:

Still got a couple more monthes before the M5 is in the garage.......scouring and searching the country for the "perfect" specimen now.....if all goes well I should have it in my "stable" by my birthday. :thumbup:

Freestyler
02-06-2006, 12:22 AM
In Denmark you get one point on your license (3 points and you loose your license!), for continued driving in the left lane. -Unless of course you are passing someone.
You also get one point for passing another car on the right. And you get one point for accelerating when someone is passing you (blocking).

It may seem a bit harsh. But it works.
We still have a lot of morons driving around who violate all the rules mentioned above. But it's not nearly as bad as the case seems to be in the US.

The german autobahn is the only place on earth where you see this more or less unwritten rule of 'harmonic driving'. -Everyone adjust their speed to acomplish the best flow in traffic. That is really impressive.

The odd thing is, you see danish, swedish, french and british and whatever drivers adjust their driving habits to fit right into this harmony when driving on the autobahn. -And as soon as they get home to their own country, you see the same drivers tailgating, left lane hogging and generally behaving like they learned nothing from driving on the autobahn.
What's up with that?

wwb4
02-06-2006, 12:32 AM
In Denmark you get one point on your license (3 points and you loose your license!), for continued driving in the left lane. -Unless of course you are passing someone.
You also get one point for passing another car on the right. And you get one point for accelerating when someone is passing you (blocking).

Well these horrible drivers should be glad that they aren't applying these laws here in the states.......well at least if they did the roads would run more smoothly.

Technic
02-06-2006, 05:12 AM
I accelerate to pass and then resume normal cruising speed (which is still faster than whatever car I passed in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to pass) once the pass is complete.

The phenomenon you've described is surprisingly common. It's particularly bad with women in SUVs (an ex-girlfriend of mine once told me that most women don't really "notice" that they're riding so close. Really? No wonder most women are such awful drivers)...and they always seem surprised when I slow back down to 75-80 after passing. Obviously the concept of varying speed is lost on these people.

As an aside, nothing is more annoying than people who don't accelerate to pass. You can create headaches and problems for everybody else on the road in your refusal to exceed the speed limit, even for a very brief duration. Sitting behind some guy doing 73 mph while passing a truck doing 70 in the right lane drives me to the brink of serious road rage. Punch it to 80-85, get over as soon as you finish the pass, and then slow back down to a more comfortable speed! Why is this concept so difficult to grasp? If you're so afraid of getting ticketed (during the whopping 10 seconds at which you're at extra-legal speeds), then stay to the right and wait to pass when you feel comfortable.

Far too many people use the left lane as a cruising lane, as well, even when traffic isn't heavy enough to force that. Problem is, Driver's Education programs in the US (as well as the ticketing process) don't teach or enforce lane discipline or highway etiquette. Most of these people probably don't even have a clue that their driving sucks.

I'm telling you, my blood pressure goes up at least 20 points right there too when I see that crap going on, especially when the truck is a gas tanker.

Why anybody wants to be beside 10,000 gallos of fuel at 70mph for more than 3 seconds holding back tens of cars behind? :eeps:

Bart001
02-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Oh, merging onto the highway is one of the most irritating (and frightening) experiences you can have when driving on US roads.

For one, people already on the highway occasionally seem to assume that they have complete right-of-way (they don't!)

What exactly is the right-of-way law in your particular state?

I couldn't find, for my state (Mass.) a statement of the law of right-of-way for highway onramp merges.

As between a car going in the right-hand lane at the speed limit, and a car coming up the onramp, it makes sense to me that the car already on the highway has the right-of-way. I had understood that the car trying to merge onto the highway has a duty to merge only when it's safe to do so. Of course it should be illegal (and I suspect it is already) for a driver to intentionally thwart the merge of the car entering the highway. Is that what you mean by the highway car not having the "complete" right-of-way?

Mels325
02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
This speed up slow down thing is so common that it would become comical if it weren't so dam annoying.
Folks I'm not racing you, I've got my cruise on, and I don't care where you're going or if you're in front of me or behind me. You can almost always spot these idiots as you are coming up on them. Overtaking them at about 3-4 mph faster than they are going you pull left to pass and they speed up. You push it up 5 more MPH to pass so you can get out of the left lane and within 3 minutes they will pass you, even though your cruise is set on the speed you had before passing them. Within 5 minutes you will end up passing them again, only to play this daisy chain for half an hour. Played this game with some women a couple weeks ago for 200 miles. Cruise is set, spot her, pass get 1/4 mile ahead then she speeds up and passes 10 MPH faster. She gets 200 yds ahead, slows down, I pass yada, yada, yada.
I've taken to pulling left to pass, seeing myself stagnate and sliding back behind them 5 feet off their bumper. Do this a couple times and they get the hint. I've finally trained my wife not to do this carp by paying attention to what is going on around her and USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHENEVER POSSIBLE.
Loved driving in Germany. We had rented a VW Golf (No BMWs available) and were cruising the Autobahn. Nice 5 series passed me (on the left) then we got in traffic and I ended up on his left slightly ahead as the road cleared in front of us. Being underpowered it took us a while to accelerate and get in front of him. He stayed just behind and to the right until I pulled over then he pulled left, gassed it and was GONE.
You want to see left lane road rage you ought to hit I-15 southbound between Las Vegas and Barstow on a Sunday Afternoon. 1 car in the right lane for every 15 in the left.

hawk123
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm not an aggressive or annoying driver. I don't street race and don't give a rats ass whose car beats mine off the line. I do, however, drive farely fast in the fast lane of major freeways.

Virtually every time I come up on someone driving slower than me, the same thing happens.

I approach the car doing 0-5mph over the speed limit in the left hand lane of the five lanes available. I don't tailgate, per se, and don't flash my lights. I just sit a few car lengths back and wait for the person to hang up the phone, put down his coffee, and find the CD he's looking for. If the driver doesn't notice me, I'll pass on the inside.

After passing, I resume my speed. Inevitably, the person behind me will stomp it and ride my bumper, now going 15 mph faster than he was when I passed.

What is the deal? I never noticed this when driving my POS Ford Explorer at the same speeds.
Funny how these type of incidents happens when you least want it. Besides freeways, I cannot imagine for the life of me why a Honda Civic tries to race me at the signals specially when I do not care. The only bad part is after a lot of restraint on my part among many such episodes, a Honda Civic driver got the worse out of me. This dude is in the right lane at the signal. The moment it turns green, I start to drive and he suddenly wakes up, revs up and tries to outrun me. All I did was downshift quickly, take off and he is left far behind. I got this " What do you think you are upto" glare from my wife, but hey! I have my limits to restraint. I have promised myself to be more wiser and not fall prey to this kind of cheap shannigans.

Salvator
02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Inevitably, the person behind me will stomp it and ride my bumper, now going 15 mph faster than he was when I passed.

That's when I decide that I need to wash my windshield and headlights... :angel: the overspray is usually enough to make them back off... :rofl:

TLudwig
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
That's when I decide that I need to wash my windshield and headlights... :angel: the overspray is usually enough to make them back off... :rofl:

+1 :thumbup:

Driving back from Dallas to Houston yesterday, I was cruising along at 80 (speed limit was 70). I came up behind a Honda Accord in the fast lane traveling at the speed limit barely gaining on a line of trucks in the right lane. I felt the blood pressure creeping as it took 5 minutes to pass each truck. Finally, we get past the trucks, but the Honda just won't move over. I change lanes to pass on the right, and notice that it is being driven by a grandmother (maybe she didn't have grandkids, but she was at least 70 years old). She looks over at me as I'm passing her on the right and just punched it. The old bag actually took it up into triple digits. My girlfriend was laughing so hard she almost peed her pants because the lady had this look of sheer determination not to be passed. Reminded me of the Beach Boys song about the little old lady from Pasadena.

akhbhaat
02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
What exactly is the right-of-way law in your particular state?

I couldn't find, for my state (Mass.) a statement of the law of right-of-way for highway onramp merges.

As between a car going in the right-hand lane at the speed limit, and a car coming up the onramp, it makes sense to me that the car already on the highway has the right-of-way. I had understood that the car trying to merge onto the highway has a duty to merge only when it's safe to do so. Of course it should be illegal (and I suspect it is already) for a driver to intentionally thwart the merge of the car entering the highway. Is that what you mean by the highway car not having the "complete" right-of-way?Precisely.

ThatOneGuy
02-07-2006, 05:50 PM
A.K.A 'the rabbit'. You run out in front and the slower cars follow you hoping you get nabbed for speeding instead of them.

I usually make a point of putting the hammer down. If they want to follow me, they have to earn it.

AzNMpower32
02-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm telling you, my blood pressure goes up at least 20 points right there too when I see that crap going on, especially when the truck is a gas tanker.

Why anybody wants to be beside 10,000 gallos of fuel at 70mph for more than 3 seconds holding back tens of cars behind? :eeps:

It's because americans tend to be ignorant and think that everyone should just accept their driving. WRONG. Whenver I drive I try not to be a pain in the ass. If I'm passing, I'm doin it quick. If someone's tailgating me, I'll try to move right at my earliest opportunity. What pisses me off most is when I'm in the process of shifting right to let the car go, the person behind me simultaneously wants to pass on the right, resulting in both of us changing lanes, and then that person thinks I'm being a moron by blocking him (when I'm not), snaps back left, nails the gas and gives me a dirty look and/or flicks me off probably because they're into the assumption "asian people cant drive".......all because I tried to be nice.

stylinexpat
02-07-2006, 07:39 PM

Those are annoying people, i ran into one that was like that yesterday only he was doing about 15 KMH/R under the speed limit on the highway. Closes the gap of passing by driving next to the car next to him after I flash him, car next to him slows down then assumingly to let me pass by creating a gap between the two cars. I go for the pass and he puts his fut to the metal:tsk: Luckily I had a VW R32 and he was driving a modified Accord: I still left him with the dust...

CbadE38
02-07-2006, 09:24 PM

Maybe it's just because there are more cars on the road here, but I have hard time imagining that there are worse drivers than we have to deal with in Southern California.

First, left-lane banditry is a given. Passing is done in whatever lane is most convenient. The only rule of lane changing etiquette is to speed up so no one can get in front of you. The faster drivers who can't deal with this respond by zipping in and out of traffic ~15-20 mph faster than everyone else.

Worst of all, those of us who try to drive courteously generally tend to just piss people off because 90%+ of the others don't understand why we drive the way we do. :mad: