PDA

View Full Version : Are Xenons still easily stealable?

BringsMeWomen
02-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Just wondering because there was a huge wave of xenon lights a few years back since they are so costly. Just wondering if it is still as easy as a couple years ago to get them stolen from cars, specifically on BMW.

Clarke
02-05-2006, 01:14 AM
This was a big issue with some Nissans a few years ago.I don't believe it was ever an epidemic with Bimmers.

SteveinBelAir
02-05-2006, 05:45 AM
I think Nissan had the problem because they fit straight on to another car. Maybe an Integra or Civic....something with 'ricer' potential anyway.

BmW745On19's
02-05-2006, 10:40 AM
There was an article in Excellence magazine, Porsche magazine, about a year ago that was saying Porsche's are being stolen and ditched and all that was stolen was the xenon Headlights! I don't think BMWs are prone to this though.

afx twin
02-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Somebody warned me that in Northern NJ this was occuring to BMWs in addition to other cars at an alarming rate. depends on where you live i guess. that's why i'll be parking my baby in the garage.

FalconGuy
02-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Not true, BMW Units are not usable on other brands, Honda/Nissan/Acura/Toyota/Lexus are where the problem lies. The Meadowlands had a huge rash of thefts at a recent concert, I know the cops, none were BMW. According to the cops BMW's are not targets for THIS type of crime, yet anyway

Nissan just settled with the state AG for 300k since they charged for the fix that would make the Nissan set not as easy to steal, it could be done in 2-3 minutes before the fix. I know someone on their 3rd set. The insurance co will not cover them for theft after this many, next time its halogens or a cash settlement.

Now still worry about you lock being pulled, looking for the valet key, but dont worry about your headlights:rofl:

wwb4
02-06-2006, 01:15 AM
This was a big issue with some Nissans a few years ago.I don't believe it was ever an epidemic with Bimmers.

......there were numerous reports published in regards to this.....the largest problem with this was prevalent with the Nissan Maxima.

x54.4blue
02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I have seen and heards of head lights being taken from BMW & Lexus.

In the NY Metro area its a real problem.

BMW & other makers should take steps making them harder to steal.

Rember radio thieft, the answer was a coded radio.

mbushnell
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
In northern NJ, The Short Hills Mall in Millburn & the town of Chatham seem to be hot spots for stolen Xenon headlights. Seems that every issue of the local weekly newspaper has reports of stolen Xenon headlights.

I've seen articles where BMW Xenons are stolen, but the primary focus seems to have been on Acuras. I understand that the Acura Xenons are drop-in replacements into the Hondas (Accords or Civics?).

Also, from what I understand, on the Japanese cars, the ballast is part of the Xenon headlight assembly, so when you remove the headlight assembly, you've got everything you need to upgrade from Halogens to Xenons. On the BMW's the ballast is separate from the Xenon headlight assembly, so you have to take the headlight & the ballast to make it work.

x54.4blue
02-06-2006, 03:59 PM
In northern NJ, The Short Hills Mall in Millburn & the town of Chatham seem to be hot spots for stolen Xenon headlights. Seems that every issue of the local weekly newspaper has reports of stolen Xenon headlights.

I've seen articles where BMW Xenons are stolen, but the primary focus seems to have been on Acuras. I understand that the Acura Xenons are drop-in replacements into the Hondas (Accords or Civics?).

Also, from what I understand, on the Japanese cars, the ballast is part of the Xenon headlight assembly, so when you remove the headlight assembly, you've got everything you need to upgrade from Halogens to Xenons. On the BMW's the ballast is separate from the Xenon headlight assembly, so you have to take the headlight & the ballast to make it work.

Its the same reason they take air bags, high cost item and they create the market from the need to replace.

Mr Hyde
02-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Thats not correct. D2S & D2R xenon bulbs do not plug into bases designed for 9006, etc halogen bulbs. The bulb bases, and therefore the sockets in the housings are different between the 2. People using stolen ones are typically using silicon, etc to glue the bulbs in place.

You hit one reason why thefts were so high; simply tearing out the lamps on these cars got you the bulbs & ballasts all at the same time which made thefts very quick, and easy. Same reason why Maxima's and some other cars were targeted as well.

Another big reason is that Acura TL/CL/RL, etc are all fairly common cars, and that HID's are standard equipment on them all. So if thieves spot one, they dont have to guess if the car has HID's or not like on Bimmers, and some other makes where HIDs are optional.

Alot of bimmers were being hit to get the projectors themselves as many people are retrofitting them as well.

Thankfully so far between by TL-S, and now my 540, my headlights have remained intact, and I hope they stay that way.

Pinecone
02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
No, they are pulling the ENTIRE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY. Socket, housing, lens, ballast, etc.

Also the cars that were having the problem could be removed from the front without any trouble. IIRC you didn't even have to open the hood. NO BMW part is that easy to remove. :)

mbushnell
02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
No, they are pulling the ENTIRE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY. Socket, housing, lens, ballast, etc.

That's what I meant, they are taking the whole light assembly, not just the bulb.

Chris525i
02-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello, my first post here. . . :)

Recently, I have seen two brand new Acura CLs and a Maxima, with their Xenon lights torn out (the entire unit). They were all driven in my neighbour, on the street in Jersey City, NJ. I felt sorry for the car owners as I take care of my cars like they are my children, and if someone comes around and tear their eyes out, I can't imagine how I would feel. . . :tsk:

Motown328
02-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Acura RSXs suffered this fate when they came out in the summer of 2002.

Mr Hyde
02-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Acura RSXs suffered this fate when they came out in the summer of 2002.

Not sure why. Xenons are not even an option on RSX's. Halogens are the only OEM choice.

beemerdude86
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
steable lol my frined just got his stolen last week while he was at a party, the guy just cracked his light and opened, it, i was in shockwhen i came back and saw it

1bad540
02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
they are stolen from maximas because the whole assembly pops out ...there are not any screws securing it in place and they can pop into another car without xenons..

swchang
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello, my first post here. . . :)

Recently, I have seen two brand new Acura CLs and a Maxima, with their Xenon lights torn out (the entire unit). They were all driven in my neighbour, on the street in Jersey City, NJ. I felt sorry for the car owners as I take care of my cars like they are my children, and if someone comes around and tear their eyes out, I can't imagine how I would feel. . . :tsk:

If I had a kid and someone stole his/her eyes, I would be pretty unhappy as well.

Pinecone
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
That's what I meant, they are taking the whole light assembly, not just the bulb.

That was not directed at you, but to Mr Hyde.

Mr Hyde
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
That was not directed at you, but to Mr Hyde.

I know that; like I said, they tear out the entire lamp. That nets them the bulbs & ignitors which are in the socket, and the ballasts which are attached to the bottom of the lamp housing.

And no you dont need to open the hood to get the lamps on any car when you are ramming a crowbar between the hood/fender/bumper and the headlight housing. Even bimmers & audis were hit by thieves after HID projectors. Unfortunately, victims were left needing repair, and repainting of the whole front end for 4-5K+. :cry:

mbushnell
02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
They had a story on the local evening news tonight about a car chase through Essex County, NJ that ended up in Newark.

Appearently the person was wanted in connection with stolen Xenon headlights, and was being chased by the "Headlight Task Force". The guy wound up crashing the BMW (looked like a current 7 Series) that he was driving. Turned out that the car was stolen earlier this month.

I didn't know that there was a "Headlight Task Force" around. I knew of the joint Essex/Union Counties "Stolen Car Task Force", but this was the first I heard of the "Headlight Task Force".

FalconGuy
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
The BMW had the keys left in it, running:rofl: I read the article today in the Star Ledger

The task force is the same Auto Theft Task force, a good friend is on loan to to the Unit from the Bayonne Police Dept. They focus on theft but headlights and airbags are also part of what they do. They are based out of Newark, they use techniques that try to box cars in using unmarked cars since they really cant chase anymore due to civilian deaths/injuries all over Essex county.

Since its inception the theft rate has really dropped dramatically in NJ.

One thing he told me that blew my mind for just how these kids act, when chasing, which they almost cant do....... rules.... the thief will slam on his brakes to force the cop to hit him, the cops airbag goes off and now his car is dead. Of course the thief just drives off with rear end damage.

Its one of the more dangerous assignments a cop can get here , more shootings than Vice or Gang task force from what im told.

silvertips20
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
hey i bought a Benfer Performance cold air intake carobon fiber but it won't fit on my 325ci 02 because the hid lights in the front are stickin out too much since the ballast or whatever its called is stickin out half way, do u know anythin i can do to make the itnake fit like move the ballast

FalconGuy
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Just read about a NJ E46 Owner who had his Xenons stolen, among other things.......

Has to be going on another BMW but bad news either way..........

Edison NJ was the location.

And I thought we were a tad safer at least for this rising crime wave

I was looking to buy an Acura a while back and this issue weighed heavily on my mind, called me insurance company and the quote was insane, they say due to car thefts and light thefts.

x54.4blue
02-22-2006, 04:55 AM
No question that headlight theft is a problem.

BMW and the others need to code them like the radio's.