PDA

View Full Version : Body shop for paint job in DC/VA/MD area and questions

swchang
02-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I need to have a few things done, including repaint of the right side of the car (keying), windshield repair for internal chipping, exterior/interior detailing, and paintless dent repair for door dings.

From reading past threads, it seems these are the recommended shops in the area:

1. Wagonwork Collision Ctr - 2.1 miles N - 3406 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Alexandria, 22305 - (703) 684-2985
http://www.wagonwork.com/published/index.html

2. First Choice Body Shop - 525 31st St S, Arlington, VA 22202 - (703) 836-6920
manager, Ray Moxley

3. Autocrafters - 2.1 miles NE - 8395 Euclid Ave # D, Manassas, 20111 - (703) 335-9646
Robert Appel

4. Zamora's Auto Body & Paint - 1.4 miles N - 773 E Gude Dr, Rockville, 20850 - (301) 294-1303
www.zamorasautobody.com

5. russel bmw - 1501 South Caton Ave., Baltimore, MD 21227 - 410-525-1000

6. bmw of fairfax - 8427 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22031 - 703-560-2300

The first four have been recommended, but has anyone had any work done at Russel BMW's or BMW of Fairfax's collision center body shops?

Also, all six said they contract out for the detailing and PDR. Do ANY body shops do it in-house? I was hoping to get a discount for doing all this work at once, since I'll probably be paying for the detailing/PDR out of pocket.

Windshield repair: I know some states have a law that if the damage is in the driver's line of sight, the repair/replacement is done free, no deductible required. Is this not the case for VA? My ins. co., Nationwide, said that I'd have to pay a deductible if it has to be replaced, but not if it can be repaired. Oh, and I heard that a majority of the vehicles that rolled over and had the roof cave had windshields replaced. For this reason, I'd rather not have a replacement, but I was told that if it was done properly and using Pilkington glass, it should retain the same chassis rigidity. Any truth to this?

Paint job: I know I'm supposed to ask if original BMW factory-coded paint will be used and whether they'll be willing to wet sand to remove any possible orange peel effect. Anything else I should inquire about before settling on a shop? Warranty against fading/orange peel/rust/chipping/etc.?

Detailing: What do they do in a detailing? Shampoo rugs/carpets, buff/wax the paint, and wash down the engine bay. Anything else? Should I expect all the swirl marks to be removed in a good job, or is that an unreasonable expectation?

PDR: I know to ask that they don't drill holes anywhere. Anything else to ask?

Finally, pricing for these jobs... I'm thinking typical prices are $300/panel for paint, $200 for detailing, and $100-125/panel for door dings. Am I expected to tip as well?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

wwb4
02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Are you a member of BMWCCA? If so, I recommend that you get on the local chapter, NCC (National Capital Chapter) and the members there can definitely recommend some places along with costs. The subject has been discussed previously, you just have to look for the thread. Most importantly several of the members have relationships with some body shops in the area that will be able to provide you discounts by going as one of their referrals. Wish you the best, if I can be of any further assistance, let me know. :thumbup:

adc
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
If they wet-sand the paint to remove the orange-peel effect, won't that be a mismatch with the rest of the car?

Both my cars have had the orange peel effect since day 1...

Or maybe I didn't understand this correctly...

I've had good experiences with Zamora's in MD.

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0

swchang
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
If they wet-sand the paint to remove the orange-peel effect, won't that be a mismatch with the rest of the car?

Both my cars have had the orange peel effect since day 1...

Or maybe I didn't understand this correctly...

I've had good experiences with Zamora's in MD.

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0

Oh, I thought orange peel was bad. I don't really notice any on my car currently. Maybe it's just too MUCH orange peel that I want to avoid?

BTW, if no one has any experiences with the collision center body shops at either of the BMW dealers I mentioned, I'm probably going to just take it to Wagonwork or the one in Manassas. So any help with the other questions I posted would be greatly appreciated... :)