PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust & Kleen Wheels

ArnieP
02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
What is everybodys opinion on "KLEEN WHEELS" brake dust shields??:dunno:
I have a 04 745I w/10 spoke 19 in alloy wheels, beautifull wheels when clean, one drive out and they are dirty. I dont drive 100mph and then stop dime, I just drive normal (150mph) :drive: Has anyone tried these dust shields?? www.kleenwheels.com. They say the shields are vented to cool. They sounded pretty good to me, but I thought all the fine members here would have a little more knowledge then a 1st time owner like me.:wow:

Thanks for any input!:bow: :bow: :bow:

nexus9
02-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, the brake dust shields do the trick, and unless you are driving in an offroad rally I don't think you'll have much chance of seriously overheating the brakes, however, they do look a bit ugly once you have them on. .

Depending on how "open" your wheels are, they will make your sophisticated disc brakes look like cheap drum brakes once you get the shields on. . I've seen some clearish plastic shields before but it doesn't take too long for them to be coated with brake dust and turn black.

Another, more expensive alternative is to consider Mintex Red brake pads (www.mintex.co.uk) or PBR pads which are available from several online sources and most reputable Eurpean car repair shops. . They provide braking performance about equal to the stock pads on the 7, however they throw much less dust. If they do have less performance than stock, you'd probably only notice if you were at the track (which is something I don't think many 7 owners do on a regular basis) .

If you've put some serious miles on your current brakes, it's probably worthwhile to replace the rotors as well if you go this route. . .

I've heard good things about changing to these alternate pads, so I've got a set I'm going to put on mine. . I'll let you know my results. .

Best of luck!

jek889
02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I used to have the Kleen Wheel shields on my '03 745i w/sport pkg. wheels, and although they helped with the dust, they didn't look all that great. In fact, I ended up replacing the factory pads w/Mintex pads and they definitely leave less dust. Performance is about the same as stock. Just make sure that if you do replace your pads w/aftermarket ones, use a good anti-squeal paste or else you can get some unwanted noise.

ArnieP
02-11-2006, 01:44 PM
nexus9 & jek889

I want to thank both of you for your input. I decided not to use the kleen wheels, just going to have to wash them once a week. I have written mixtex pads in my owners manual so I will not forget:yikes: The car has 30,000 mi so when it comes time to replace, this is what I will ask for.
:thumbup: :)

jtperkins
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
nexus9 & jek889

I want to thank both of you for your input. I decided not to use the kleen wheels, just going to have to wash them once a week. I have written mixtex pads in my owners manual so I will not forget:yikes: The car has 30,000 mi so when it comes time to replace, this is what I will ask for.
:thumbup: :)

That's miNtex.

http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search

turkiye
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
thanks for the info. on Kleen Wheels. I am going to try a pair for my 530i (2007). Hope the don't "ugly up" my standard 5 spoke wheels. Have 33k miles on my brakes now but will try the Mintex when new are required.

turkiye
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone replaced fog light bulbs in a 2007 530i? Am unsure how to remove old bulbs. I want to replace with PIAA 9006 55w=115W bright white. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

N62B44 SGM
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm surprised no one has named the simplest soliton to the dust...Akebono's! I also have the same wheels as the OP and once I put those babies on the front my wheels have stayed cleaned for 3 weeks and that was the minimum just because I washed the car. I'm sure they would remain clean for a month even.

Now the rear wheels...those I can see turn an ugly brownish grey within a week :thumbdwn: