PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of those ugly water spots

BrianRocha
01-15-2002, 06:58 PM
They seem as f they are burried below the finish. I'm going to try and wax it with some zymol. The movers delivered my stuff this weekend, and I am finished moving in for the most part. Hope it works. My car is black (schwartz) non metalic, so every little imperfection sticks out like a sore thumb! What do you all reccomend to remove all of those ninor hairline scratches? or should I just wax it a few times?

alee
01-15-2002, 07:03 PM
For swirling and fine scratches, use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and follow with a good wax.

For water spots, do a 50/50 vinegar/water solution, apply to a cotton cloth, rub gently on affected area, rise thoroughly and wax. White vinegar works best.

-Al

BrianRocha
01-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by alee
For swirling and fine scratches, use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and follow with a good wax.

For water spots, do a 50/50 vinegar/water solution, apply to a cotton cloth, rub gently on affected area, rise thoroughly and wax. White vinegar works best.

-Al Thanks, I'm going to try that tomorrow

Clem
01-15-2002, 07:13 PM

-Al

You should write a book :)

alee
01-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Clem

You should write a book :)

As long as it doesn't have to do with anything under the hood or under the car, I think I could cover it. :D

-Al

bol
01-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Perhaps I will ask the great alee this as well... http://www.albertacars.net/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Back when I had my car and washed it, I had chronic water spot problems on the roof and trunk. These weren't your usual water spots though, NOTHING would take them out. They were almost like hardcore calcium deposits. Tried the 50/50 Vinegar trick with no success, tried straight vinegar. The only thing that marginally improved it was a claybar, and even that was still marginal.

Oh enlighten me alee, I'm out of ideas and when I get it back Im' going to be scratching my head.:dunno:

BrianRocha
01-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by bol
Perhaps I will ask the great alee this as well... http://www.albertacars.net/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Back when I had my car and washed it, I had chronic water spot problems on the roof and trunk. These weren't your usual water spots though, NOTHING would take them out. They were almost like hardcore calcium deposits. Tried the 50/50 Vinegar trick with no success, tried straight vinegar. The only thing that marginally improved it was a claybar, and even that was still marginal.

Oh enlighten me alee, I'm out of ideas and when I get it back Im' going to be scratching my head.:dunno:
Thats how mine are. They are so bad, makes the car look like it has dull paint. No-one really notices it, but I do! I had the same problem on my e30, but on the windows. Hmm, maybe some CLR will do the trick (not really, I'd be too scared it would ruin the paint) It';s on the roof, trunk some of the hood (upper), and on the c pillars mostly

in_d_haus
01-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Up here in the great PNW we get rain and waterspots!

I use Griots machine polish #2 then finish up with Machine polish #3 and wax, of course.

ff
01-15-2002, 07:36 PM
For those tough water stains...

http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/tools/large/00927724000-dlv.jpg

alee
01-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by bol

Well, if clay isn't doing it, it's time for some fine hand polish (see griotsgarage.com). You gotta take care of the water spots immediately, esp. if you have real hard water problems.

Of course, when you start washing again, wash carefully and dry as you go.

I bet that was no help. :D

-Al

ff
01-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ff
For those tough water stains...

http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/tools/large/00927724000-dlv.jpg

Look, there's actually water stains on the body panel... :D

ARCHER
01-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Our water SUCKS! Even when when I wash her in cold weather and in indirect sunlight, I get nasty water spots. I give up!

Short of a home water softer, which Iím researching, I donít know what else to do.

alee
01-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ARCHER
Our water SUCKS! Even when when I wash her in cold weather and in indirect sunlight, I get nasty water spots. I give up!

Have you tried going panel by panel? That's about the only thing that works for me. I can't do a standard rinse with a hose without create serious problems.

-Al

The HACK
01-15-2002, 07:42 PM

Short of a home water softer, which Iím researching, I donít know what else to do.

Try blow-drying it with a leaf blower.

ff
01-15-2002, 07:43 PM

Have you tried going panel by panel? That's about the only thing that works for me. I can't do a standard rinse with a hose without create serious problems.

-Al

Seems that washing in the sunlight or any amount of winds makes for all the trouble. I think the best cure (minus the angle grinder) is a clean surface, a good layer of wax, and wash in the shade.

Mike 325xi
01-15-2002, 07:43 PM

Stop washing your car with cheap whisky ARCHER and the problem should go away :tsk:

alee
01-15-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ff

Seems that washing in the sunlight or any amount of winds makes for all the trouble. I think the best cure (minus the angle grinder) is a clean surface, a good layer of wax, and wash in the shade.

and a bucket of distilled water. :)

bol
01-15-2002, 07:58 PM
You're absolutely right alee, that was of ZERO help.

And I thought you were some sort of god... :tsk:

just joking! :p

Guest84
01-16-2002, 05:33 AM
For water spots after washing and drying, I use a 5- min detail spray. Cleans it right up and enhances the wax already on the car.

alee
01-16-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
For water spots after washing and drying, I use a 5- min detail spray. Cleans it right up and enhances the wax already on the car.

Hey Rip, how's the P21S holding up v. the Griots?

-Al

ism409
01-16-2002, 05:53 AM

Hey Rip, how's the P21S holding up v. the Griots?

-Al
Yeah, and also which one if any was easier to apply??
I am seriously considering the griots carnuba paste. I am wondering though..will it work as good on silver as it does with darker colors? :dunno:

alee
01-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by ism409

Yeah, and also which one if any was easier to apply??

With the techniques Rip uses, no wax is easy to apply. They all take about 5 hrs. :D

-Al

Guest84
01-16-2002, 06:24 AM
Hiya Alee,
I have one door panel and 1/2 the trunk with griots, and the rest is P21S. Too early to tell at this time, both have only been on since Dec.26th and the car is garaged most of the time. Water beading is slightly better on the P21S side on the trunk than the Griots Carnauba.

ISM, the P21S is slightly easier to apply, seems the paste is better "mixed" where Griots I had to "churn it up and mash it with a fork" to get is properly mixed, seems maybe I might have got a jar of Griots that sat on a shelf for some time? Anyway, P21S is easier to apply, both come off the same, very easy. I noted that the Griots I had to go over some areas twice with cotton towels due to a 'smearing' oily effect that it left, the P21S just once.

Either wax, make SURE you get the P21S Paint Cleaner ($10)...that stuff will make or break the final wax you put on it!

alee
01-16-2002, 06:28 AM
Either wax, make SURE you get the P21S Paint Cleaner ($10)...that stuff will make or break the final wax you put on it!

Did you get the P21S car wash stuff or have you been using the giant jugs of car wash from Griots?

-Al

Guest84
01-16-2002, 06:30 AM

Did you get the P21S car wash stuff or have you been using the giant jugs of car wash from Griots?

-Al

I did the typical:
Wash with Dawn, rinse.

Wash with Griots Car wash, rinse, dry.

ism409
01-16-2002, 06:32 AM
I have allready purchased the paint cleaner.. :thumb:

ism409
01-16-2002, 06:36 AM
this :
http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1665_782428
combined with this:
http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1665_945215

seems to be the combination of choice..hehe I like to work with visual references :D

alee
01-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by ism409
I like to work with visual references :D

Be sure to use http://a448.g.akamaitech.net/7/448/622/10000062866510/abcnews.go.com/media/Business/images/ho_proctor_gamble2_000609_h.jpg first!

-Al

Guest84
01-16-2002, 06:42 AM
ISM--That will produce a shine like this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pf6cd9defa008a933a39d8fdab41ae073/fe0df181.jpg.orig.jpg

Make sure you don't do any of the application process in the sun (no brainer) and make sure you apply it just as it instructs you to on the bottle(ie, the paint cleaner should be removed before it dries, etc. etc.)

Also, follow up with Alee's advice with a good carwash, you want to make sure you get 100% of the Dawn off too!

ism409
01-16-2002, 06:48 AM
good visuals!!! That's what I like to see! :thumb:

Guest84
01-16-2002, 06:52 AM
Incidently, I followed up the wax with a quick detail spray to make sure I got everything off. I use Griots Speed Shine, but any quick detail spray should be sufficient. This also eliminates any possibility of "clouding" that can be apparent with some carnauba waxes (though I haven't noticed it with P21S or Griots...I did notice it with Meguires though last year on another vehicle)

alee
01-16-2002, 06:58 AM
Incidently, I followed up the wax with a quick detail spray to make sure I got everything off. I use Griots Speed Shine, but any quick detail spray should be sufficient. This also eliminates any possibility of "clouding" that can be apparent with some carnauba waxes (though I haven't noticed it with P21S or Griots...I did notice it with Meguires though last year on another vehicle)

How many gallons of speed shine do you think Rip goes through in a month? :D

ism409
01-16-2002, 07:02 AM
Luckily I have not experienced clouding with my current carnuba paste (Gliptone) ..any way I have also ordered the griot's speedshine along with their claybar..so I am all set with that!
Also .. I currently use a sponge and I have been pondering the idea of a sheepskin washmitt ..Any experiences using one of these?? wondering if there really is a difference??

Dr. Phil
01-16-2002, 07:04 AM
My guess is they use a tanker truck to refill his drum every other week:D :D

Guest84
01-16-2002, 07:11 AM
Hehe! I bought a gallon of Speed Shine in early december, so far I've used 35 oz. of it :)

ISM, I'm an expert on washing items, unfortunately found out the hard way on a black finish...to make a long story short, here were MY findings (note: I used a 2-bucket method for washing to ENSURE that the wash products were not contaminated with dirt, and each time,the car was relatively already clean!)

Griots Boars hair brush:
Big time disappointment, I washed linear motions, very lightly, it left very noticeably hairline swirls. Took it back to the Griots outlet store/factory and showed the #3 man there the problem, he agreed that the BHB *might* have caused it and said they'd do some tests (yeah, right) and refunded my money.

AFter polishing those swirls out, I tried the Sheep skin wool mitt, Griots one, (very nice one)...again, disappointment, not as bad as the brush, but still showed some linear swirls, again, I polished and then tried...

Pep boys Terry cloth wash mitt. $4. Not one swirl. They fall apart after about 10-20 uses, but at $4 a pop, who cares!

Now, lighter finishes you'd probably never see these linear swirls that I mention above, but trust me, they will be there...black tells a tale that light finishes will not.

My 2 cents worth.

ism409
01-16-2002, 07:28 AM
Pep boys Terry cloth wash mitt. $4. Not one swirl. They fall apart after about 10-20 uses, but at $4 a pop, who cares!

4 bucks for no swirl marks..sounds like a deal :thumb:

TD330ci
01-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Hehe! I bought a gallon of Speed Shine in early december, so far I've used 35 oz. of it :)

ISM, I'm an expert on washing items, unfortunately found out the hard way on a black finish...to make a long story short, here were MY findings (note: I used a 2-bucket method for washing to ENSURE that the wash products were not contaminated with dirt, and each time,the car was relatively already clean!)

Griots Boars hair brush:
Big time disappointment, I washed linear motions, very lightly, it left very noticeably hairline swirls. Took it back to the Griots outlet store/factory and showed the #3 man there the problem, he agreed that the BHB *might* have caused it and said they'd do some tests (yeah, right) and refunded my money.

AFter polishing those swirls out, I tried the Sheep skin wool mitt, Griots one, (very nice one)...again, disappointment, not as bad as the brush, but still showed some linear swirls, again, I polished and then tried...

Now, lighter finishes you'd probably never see these linear swirls that I mention above, but trust me, they will be there...black tells a tale that light finishes will not.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the tips Rip. Going to try the Pep Wash mit. O Blue is just as bad with the swirls. Have to use a lite coat of 3M IHG every time I wax to deal with them. :mad:

Guest84
01-16-2002, 10:24 AM
Don't get the squarish Terries with a sponge in the center, they suck to deal with, get the glove-type. Its a "shag" style wash mitt, I believe its either terry cloth shag or cotton. Its NOT synthetic or wool, which has been determined on my black finish to cause swirls.

in_d_haus
01-16-2002, 12:03 PM
After a year of using the BHB I have to agree with Rip, it causes swirls. I'm using the Sheepskin and have not seen them (Red finish)

Gawd, it hurts to say Rip waz right!

Shees!

BrianRocha
01-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Man, It's impossible to make black look right (for me anyways). I can never wax without getting those dark and light patches. ARRGGGHHH But I love the color. I think I'll go to the body shop and get about 5 or 6 coats of clear coat sprayed and baked on. :p Oh the madness. I used some zymol today. I think it might have left swirls on the hood, but I couldn't tell as it got too dark. But it didn't do anything to the water spots!!! They really dull the finish. I think it's acid rain. I swear, nothing can stop it. it's invincible. I don't even think steel wool would get them off. (Itried that on the windows of my e30 and that didn't affect them one bit) Theyre like roaches, they adapt to any cleaning technique. I think I'm just going to pay the $100 the car detailing place charges to remove acid rain (if that's what they say it is).

AF
01-17-2002, 05:03 AM
Do what I do . . . never wax your car !!!!

This news kills Alee but I've never waxed my car in the 1 1/2 yrs I've had it.

The funny thing is, when I wash it . . . it looks amazing . . .

(Alee after reading this message) Hurry get an ambulance . . . Alee just passed out and he isn't responding !!!

BTW my wheels are as clean as can be (I've actually ben washing them lately)

alee
01-17-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Alan F
The funny thing is, when I wash it . . . it looks amazing . . .

Oh but just wait until you put a fresh coat of wax on your car...!

BTW my wheels are as clean as can be (I've actually ben washing them lately)

That pic you have of your kids helping you wash your wheels is classic! :) You and Rip have a good deal going getting your kids to do the dirty work. :D

-Al