PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do XM Direct in their BMW?

iwanna330cic
02-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Has anyone installed "XM Direct" in their BMW? Is it fairly easy for non-pros, or is it best left to the dealer when taking delivery of a new car? What did it cost and is it fairly easy to use?

Here's a link: http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2003_11_17.html

Doug

Mark_325i
02-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Yes. Very easy, works great.

toshweir27
02-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I have it and it works great!

TLudwig
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Very easy install and it works great.

LDV330i
02-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Has anyone installed "XM Direct" in their BMW? Is it fairly easy for non-pros, or is it best left to the dealer when taking delivery of a new car? What did it cost and is it fairly easy to use?

Here's a link: http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2003_11_17.html

DougNot available for E90's. If that is the car are getting then you are stuck with using the BMW Sirius module. On the E46 XM Direct could only be installed in non-NAV cars and needed an adapter. It is an aftermarket system that I do not think any dealer would install. It is a plug and play installation that does not need any technical expertise at all.

iwanna330cic
02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Not available for E90's. If that is the car are getting then you are stuck with using the BMW Sirius module. On the E46 XM Direct could only be installed in non-NAV cars and needed an adapter. It is an aftermarket system that I do not think any dealer would install. It is a plug and play installation that does not need any technical expertise at all.

Thank you for that - I was hoping to get just that kind of feedback. Looks like I will be getting a portable XM unit and just plug it into my AUX audio input as I am getting the E46 with NAV. There are two new units coming out that have the XM AND MP3 capability in one... and it's portable. Great advice. Thanks again!

Doug

iwanna330cic
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I just got a response from my dealership on this. Here is what he said:

"I spoke with my Service Manager and he says that we can set you up with
either XM or Sirius Satellite Radio if you so choose. This can be done
with
an adaptor if you like, however, there needs to be an antenna that can
receive the satellite signal. When we install either satellite radio
system
in our cars, it operates through the cars audio system and has an
external
antenna and will not require an adaptor for a hand held device. If you
would like to have this satellite radio capability, we can add an
option
called Satellite Radio Preparation which adds $75 to the price and
pre-wires
the car to accept whatever system is desired by our clients."

So now, of course, I am confused again.... :banghead: Those of you who have it - are you driving an E46? And, what do you see as the diff between your install and what my dealer proposes?

Doug

LDV330i
02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I just got a response from my dealership on this. Here is what he said:

"I spoke with my Service Manager and he says that we can set you up with
either XM or Sirius Satellite Radio if you so choose. This can be done
with
an adapter if you like, however, there needs to be an antenna that can
receive the satellite signal. When we install either satellite radio
system
in our cars, it operates through the cars audio system and has an
external
antenna and will not require an adapter for a hand held device. If you
would like to have this satellite radio capability, we can add an
option
called Satellite Radio Preparation which adds $75 to the price and
pre-wires
the car to accept whatever system is desired by our clients."

So now, of course, I am confused again.... :banghead: Those of you who have it - are you driving an E46? And, what do you see as the diff between your install and what my dealer proposes?

DougThe dealer does know what he is talking about. I would stay from him.

Only XM Direct emulates the Sirius tuner and you have full control of it through the tuner. There are only 2 adapters available for XM Direct to work with the BMW HU, Blitzsafe and Soundgate. Go to www.blitzsafe.com (http://www.blitzsafe.com) and you can personally verify that they state that their adapter will not work with cars with NAV or that have DSP (not applicable to E-46 cars).

There has never been a sat prep kit available for the E46 plus non is needed. The Sirius tuner or the XM Direct tuner via the adapter connects to the factory installed CD changer connector in your trunk. So the installation is basically connect your tuner to the CD changer outlet and run the antenna to the shelf behind the rear seat for a stealth installation. How hard is that?

Please search this forum for other postings on this issue as it has been discussed in many threads and there are several installation instructions/guides with pictures posted available. That way you can become an informed consumer.