PDA

View Full Version : Oprah signs with XM Radio

chuck92103
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I guess all minivans will now have XM standard. :rofl:

Might as well sign Jerry Springer too. Of course, all the metal in trailer park might affect signal reception. :dunno:

Plaz
02-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I guess all minivans will now have XM standard. :rofl:

Might as well sign Jerry Springer too. Of course, all the metal in trailer park might affect signal reception. :dunno:

Oooooooh.... get ready for the Stern v. Oprah grudgefest!

SteveinBelAir
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm shorting the stock right now :)

Bmwcat
02-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Does everyone in the audience get a free XM reciever?? :p

TLudwig
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Great, now I'm going to have to switch to Sirius. Oprah is my nemesis.

Plaz
02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Great, now I'm going to have to switch to Sirius. Oprah is my nemesis.

:thumbup:

http://www.howardstern.com/img/hs_header.gif

mullman
02-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Oprah :eeps:

whiskey.org
02-09-2006, 07:21 PM
she's not going to do anything on that channel, no exclusive content

oprah fans will just watch her on TV

this is just stupid hype that will NOT drive subscriptions up

Plaz
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
she's not going to do anything on that channel, no exclusive content

oprah fans will just watch her on TV

this is just stupid hype that will NOT drive subscriptions up

Artie's your hero? :p

http://plaz.net/plaz/artie_poster.jpg

whiskey.org
02-09-2006, 07:44 PM
hell yeah!!!

www.kcposter.com I believe was the inspiration for that

"KC posed for gay photographs!!" "with a german ****"

FIRE!!

hockeynut
02-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Think Oprah will have lesbians and strippers?

Glad I am on Sirius...

LmtdSlip
02-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Oprah didnt even show up for the press conference. And the show will be only a half hour a week for 39 weeks. Not a bad pay day for Oprah.

Lets see that works out to $18MM a year for 20 hours of her time per year. Hmmm $910,000 an hour is a pretty good rate of pay. :yikes:

The question is will she drive the 100,000 or so subscriptions it will take to cover this salary.

"Oprah & Friends," which will debut in September, will rely more on the friends than on Oprah herself. Winfrey said yesterday in a teleconference from Chicago that she will have a half-hour "reality" show each week for 39 weeks -- a recorded conversation with her confidante Gayle King.

EDIT: And she shares in half of all advertising revenue generated on her channel.

SteveinBelAir
02-10-2006, 10:45 AM
No she won't. A: Howard was exclusive - you can see Oprah everyday on the telly. B. She's not going to be on there except for 30 mins a week. It will be all of her stupid regular guests putzing about trying to do radio. C. Anyone watch her 'Oxygen Channel' on TV? The answer is of course no.

Oprah sucks. I sold my paltry few XM shares this morning. They have no idea wshat they are doing.

I have both services. I was an XM subscriber almost from the start. I now have had Sirius since January in one car and now in my 330. I initially thought XM had the edge but having spent time on Sirius, it really is the better service.

Oprah? WTF!

chuck92103
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I can see it now...

"Disgruntled Sirius subscribers on the next Oprah." :rofl:

LmtdSlip
02-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I hope Oprah cashed her check.

XM Posts Wider 4Q Loss; Director Quits

By SETH SUTEL, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s losses soared in the fourth quarter on higher costs for marketing and acquiring subscribers, and a director quit over disagreements about the company's direction, warning of a looming "crisis."
ADVERTISEMENT

Investors punished the shares of the Washington, D.C.-based company, sending them down $1.27, or 5 percent, to close at $23.98 in very heavy volume Thursday afternoon on the Nasdaq Stock Market. They reached a 52-week low of $22.94 earlier in the day.

Of particular concern to investors was the unexpected departure of Pierce J. Roberts Jr. from XM's board of directors, who said in his resignation letter that he was "troubled" by the company's current path. Roberts, the former chief telecom banker at Bear Stearns, had served on the board's audit, compensation and nominating committees. He had been a director for five years.

"Given current course and speed there is, in my view, a significant chance of a crisis on the horizon," Roberts wrote in the letter, which the company disclosed in a regulatory filing. "Even absent a crisis, I believe that XM will inevitably serve its shareholders poorly without major changes now."

Roberts didn't go into detail about his concerns in the letter, and a representative said he was declining to comment. However, the company said in a statement accompanying the letter that Roberts had been pressing for tighter cost controls, a position the company and other directors disagreed with, favoring instead efforts to continue XM's heavy cultivation of subscribers.

In a statement, XM's chairman Gary Parsons said the company's directors and managers "believe that the balanced growth strategy that we have set for the company is the right one to ensure XM's long-term value."

In noting the departure of Roberts, Merrill Lynch analyst Laraine Mancini said in a note to investors that XM's cost management had been a concern of hers as well. "We hope that an insider disagreement could force a shift in strategy," she wrote.

XM, the larger of the country's two satellite radio operators, lost $270.4 million, or $1.22 per share, after dividends for preferred stockholders, in the October-December period. In the same period a year earlier, the loss was $190.4 million, or 93 cents per share.

Revenue more than doubled to $177.1 million from $83.1 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial expected a loss of 92 cents per share.

Also of concern to investors was a big jump in the net average cost that XM incurs for adding each subscriber, which rose to $141 in the quarter from $104 in the same period a year ago. Those figures include marketing expenses.

Company officials said the jump was unusual, saying they expected those costs to fall significantly as advertising spending declines. Last fall XM was going up against the imminent arrival of the hugely popular shock jock Howard Stern at its rival, Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.

XM continued to spend heavily to fund its expansion. Overall marketing costs almost doubled in the quarter to $196.5 million, and costs for programming more than tripled to $30.6 million.

XM and its Sirius are locked in a fierce and expensive battle to line up listeners and programming for their pay radio services, which currently cost about $13 a month and require a special receiver. Both offer dozens of channels of talk and news as well as commercial-free music.

Both have also racked up significant financial losses, signing big-ticket contracts for programming with Stern, Major League Baseball, talk show host
Oprah Winfrey and others.

Like Sirius, XM relies heavily on capital markets to fund its aggressive expansion efforts, and analysts cautioned that any disruption of the willingness of investors to stay on board could have serious consequences.

"They have been in a startup mode for a very long time, and have been in a negative cash flow mode for a very long time," said Heather Goodchild, chief media analyst at the Standard & Poor's debt rating agency. "If the capital markets became less receptive, you could envision the music stopping and not enough chairs being there."

The ratings company ranks XM's debt CCC+, seven levels below investment grade. It rates that of Sirius CCC, eight levels below.

For the full year, XM posted a loss, after preferred dividends, of $675.3 million, or $3.07 per share, compared with $651.2 million, or $3.30 per share, last year. Revenue rose to $558.3 million from $244.4 million.

XM said it had more than 5.9 million subscribers at the end of 2005, up 84 percent from a year earlier, and said its total had risen to more than 6 million in the first week of January. Sirius has said it has more than 3 million subscribers.

XM's chief executive officer, Hugh Panero, said the company expects to reach profitability from its operations by the end of this year, with subscription revenue reaching $860 million. He also said he expects to have 9 million subscribers by the end of the year.

beemerdude86
02-16-2006, 08:04 PM
i can only imagine lol

tcoz
02-17-2006, 05:41 AM
As an XM fan and subscriber and I just fail to see the wisdom of the Oprah signing. I could be wrong about this, but it seems that from a demographic standpoint, men more than women drive the sales of satellite radio and I don't know many men who like Oprah. In addition, the signing is a sham since Oprah will seldom be on. I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank...just like Stern

XM and Sirius are throwing obscene amounts of money at big names in a race to sign them and it's no surprise that neither shows signs of becoming profitable.

F1Crazy
02-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Jim Rome might also end up on satellite radio, I only hope it's going to be Sirius.

Plaz
02-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Jim Rome might also end up on satellite radio, I only hope it's going to be Sirius.

Howard's had Scott Farell on his channels for a week or so now. That guy's a freak!