PDA

View Full Version : Running out of gas

BMWMA
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I recently purchased a used 740i, the first week I ran out of gas when the gas guage said it was 1/4 tank full and 80 miles to go, the same thing happened the following week. I now feel the car up every week but could there be a problem with the gas guage?

mullman
02-10-2006, 06:10 AM
I recently purchased a used 740i, the first week I ran out of gas when the gas guage said it was 1/4 tank full and 80 miles to go, the same thing happened the following week. I now feel the car up every week but could there be a problem with the gas guage?

Other than being careful "feeling" the car up :) Have your dealer reset the computer, if that does not work, it could be the fuel sender.

Mels325
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I hope you're feeling up the car in the privacy of your garage, otherwise the neighbors might complain. :yikes:
It does sound like you've got a problem somewhere in the system. My 325 has the most accurate fuel gage of any car I have ever driven. Had the Distance remaining flash from 9.9 Miles range to --- as I was pulling into a gas station once and it took 16.6 gallons (17 gallon tank) and another time was showing 24 MTG and it took 15.8 gallons.
Did the yellow low fuel light come on before you ran out? Not sure whether that is triggered from the same level sensor or the gage, but knowing that answer will help a technician (when did they stop being mechanics:dunno: ) trouble shoot the problem
Until you can get it fixed I'd fill the tank on miles since last fill up.

zentenn
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Last night on the way home after work I stopped off at the local watering hole and the fuel sensor said I had 3 miles left in the tank. I got home no problem.... when I went out this morning the sensor read this _ _ _ _ _ It said absolute zero which makes sense since I live about 3 miles from where I was the night before. So I went to the closest gas station I could (about 1 mile away) and filled up. I was shocked that I even made it to the station.:yikes: When I filled up I ended up getting 16.17 gallons. I just thought it was interesting that I didn't run out of gas even though it said I had no miles left. That of course, was a good thing.

JonathanIT
04-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I just thought it was interesting that I didn't run out of gas even though it said I had no miles left. That of course, was a good thing.
In most OBC's I'm sure it reverts to zero well before the tank is empty as a safety/liability issue. In our Lexus, it goes to zero with easily 15-20 miles left. In fact, it never actually counts down to zero... it seems to "jump" there once it reaches 10 or less.

--J.

zentenn
04-01-2006, 01:25 PM
In most OBC's I'm sure it reverts to zero well before the tank is empty as a safety/liability issue. In our Lexus, it goes to zero with easily 15-20 miles left. In fact, it never acually counts down to zero... it seems to "jump" there once it reaches 10 or less.

--J.

I know what you mean, I fugure I had about 1/2 gallon left in the tank enough for 10 - 12 miles

bmwexecutive
04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Other than being careful "feeling" the car up :) Have your dealer reset the computer, if that does not work, it could be the fuel sender.

Hahahahahahaha! :rofl:

Oh man, I almost fell off my chair laughing about that one.

3LOU5
04-01-2006, 02:20 PM
For you guys running your tanks all the way down to find out if your gauge or computer is accurate..........not a smart idea. :rolleyes:

Besides picking up an increased amount of sediment, you run the risk of overheating your fuel pump. I don't rightly know if that's true, but in theory, it does make a little bit of sense.

KrisL
04-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm always amazed at the accuracy of the fuel gauge in my E46. I can almost always guess (within 1/2 gallon or so) how much gas my car will need when refueling.

rruiter
04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
For you guys running your tanks all the way down to find out if your gauge or computer is accurate..........not a smart idea. :rolleyes:

Besides picking up an increased amount of sediment, you run the risk of overheating your fuel pump. I don't rightly know if that's true, but in theory, it does make a little bit of sense.

I've heard the same thing and it makes sense. The fuel pump hangs IN the fuel, the fuel has a cooling effectont he pump. The lower the fuel, the less cooling. PRetty important in Arizona with 3+ motnhs of 100+ weather each year.

carlo2343
04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
rofl at feeling the car up

mikehb66
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
www.mikesm.com check it out