PDA

View Full Version : New kicka$$ nav features - thanks BMW

jkb
02-10-2006, 03:08 AM
just got my baby from the 15K service with latest nav ans CIP software on it.

there is a new feature called "Destinations" -- go to 'Information' and you will see a new menu added called 'Travel Information'

its amazing. for two reasons. first is that it has much better categorizations. they are amazing. second, is that you can search inside those categories by a partial name and specify in what radius to search. for example, you can search under 'Shopping' -> 'Home and Garden' for a store which has a string 'dep' in it within X number of miles. and the BEST part is that you can actually call the number from the iDrive.

they even show you restaurants by categories:
American, Asian, European, Fast Food

its like internet yellow pages on steroids in your car. thanks BMW - this new feature is very kicka$$

bimmer7
02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
just got my baby from the 15K service with latest nav ans CIP software on it.

there is a new feature called "Destinations" -- go to 'Information' and you will see a new menu added called 'Travel Information'

its amazing. for two reasons. first is that it has much better categorizations. they are amazing. second, is that you can search inside those categories by a partial name and specify in what radius to search. for example, you can search under 'Shopping' -> 'Home and Garden' for a store which has a string 'dep' in it within X number of miles. and the BEST part is that you can actually call the number from the iDrive.

they even show you restaurants by categories:
American, Asian, European, Fast Food

its like internet yellow pages on steroids in your car. thanks BMW - this new feature is very kicka$$

this is not something new yan... my '04 LX470 has it too.... but its nice BMW has this feature as well finally...hehe :D jks

kd2789mo
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
this is not something new yan... my '04 LX470 has it too.... but its nice BMW has this feature as well finally...hehe :D jks
Agree, frankly BMW is behind-the-times in NAV software.
My Jeep has these features, and also allows destination entry by phone number...linking the entered phone number to the known name/address for confirmation, and then plotting the route.
I had NAV in an ES300, RX300, I30 and now in the Jeep. All of which exceeded the capabilities of my E66 NAV.
It's good, just not great.

bimmer7
02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Yup you are right as you can see from these pics its the sad reality of BMW lacking NAV TEchnology :tsk:

ssbimmerx5
02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
hey van745, i have a question for you, i just recently got my V1 hardwired..but it won't stay up on the windshield at all..like i tried cleaning the suction cups, and the portion of the windshield where i was mounting the detector. It stays on for a few minutes, maybe more, but then it soon falls off..my car alarm has gone off twice, because of it tripped the interior motion sensor :mad:

does yours work fine with the suction cups? any ideas would be appreciated:thumbup:

thanks,

SS

jkb
02-11-2006, 07:11 PM
hey van745, i have a question for you, i just recently got my V1 hardwired..but it won't stay up on the windshield at all..like i tried cleaning the suction cups, and the portion of the windshield where i was mounting the detector. It stays on for a few minutes, maybe more, but then it soon falls off..my car alarm has gone off twice, because of it tripped the interior motion sensor :mad:

does yours work fine with the suction cups? any ideas would be appreciated:thumbup:

thanks,

SS

yes, my V1 stays on just fine, but i am already on my second set of suction cups (first ones lasted about 7 months). they dont live forever. try putting a little spit (yes, i know, discussting) inside the plastic suction cup before you press it against the windshield. if it still doesn't work - get new suction cups from V1, they are only a few dollars. V1 comes with spares ones too, so if you still have them, give them a try.

jkb
02-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Yup you are right as you can see from these pics its the sad reality of BMW lacking NAV TEchnology :tsk:

but i didn't buy my car because of the NAV. i got it for other reasons. NAV is just a nice addition which i use once in a while (and when i do use it, it is for something simple like get me to this address, which works just fine). the new NAV POI (aka Destinations+) is just an extra toy.

chowan24
02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
German cars are just behind in the NAV category, My dad has a 05 Cayenne Turbo and the Nav suscks but is better than ours , and he has a 05 Carrera 4S that he had then put an alipne nav in because the factory one sucked....

jkb
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
German cars are just behind in the NAV category, My dad has a 05 Cayenne Turbo and the Nav suscks but is better than ours , and he has a 05 Carrera 4S that he had then put an alipne nav in because the factory one sucked....

i can understand 7er needing a nav, but a porsche??? what, he couldn't remember how to get to the track? :-)

kato23
02-11-2006, 11:08 PM

yeah all those cool features you never use...sure those are great

ssbimmerx5
02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
yes, my V1 stays on just fine, but i am already on my second set of suction cups (first ones lasted about 7 months). they dont live forever. try putting a little spit (yes, i know, discussting) inside the plastic suction cup before you press it against the windshield. if it still doesn't work - get new suction cups from V1, they are only a few dollars. V1 comes with spares ones too, so if you still have them, give them a try.

thanks for the tip man:thumbup:

im gonna try that..if it doesnt work, then i guess ill have to replace the cups..thanks for your advice.

bimmer7
02-12-2006, 11:35 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bimmer7
02-12-2006, 11:36 PM

bimmer7
02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
yeah all those cool features you never use...sure those are great

Thats what you think buddy. . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When you want to look for a nice decent place to eat in a NEW City or Town ... whats better then starting off with what kind of food you like Italian, Indian, Chinese etc. I mean trust me it pays off to have these cool features....
Face it buddy Lexus does have a better NAV system then BMW's...
I drive both cars and I find myself better directed by my lexus nav then my bmw's

jkb
02-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Thats what you think buddy. . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When you want to look for a nice decent place to eat in a NEW City or Town ... whats better then starting off with what kind of food you like Italian, Indian, Chinese etc. I mean trust me it pays off to have these cool features....

Did you read my original post? That is exactly what i have now in my 750!

However, i highly doubt i'll ever use it.

bimmer7
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Did you read my original post? That is exactly what i have now in my 750!

However, i highly doubt i'll ever use it.

Did you jus read who I replied too when I said that? :rofl:

I was replying too kato23's post about how these cool NAV features are never for anygood use... which IMO he is clearly wrong in saying...

Because if you travel around or go to places you want to know whats on the menu before you decide to eat theRE!

I know you have those features finally in the '06 750 I mean when else would you have them by???

the next 7series model change? :p jks....

Anyways thats great that the 7 has competing nav tech thats coming closer to japanese brands like lexus and acura....:thumbup: