PDA

View Full Version : Exterior EZ Pass Mounting

gman750i
02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Anyone know how to mount an external EZ Pass unit on the front license plate on the '06 7er? The license plate 'bends' around the point of the bumper, so that would be problematic for the EZpass. Maybe someone knows of an adapter or OEM spacer?

LDV330i
02-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Doesn't your agreement spell out the acceptable locations? :dunno:
Here in TX it has be on your windshield or dashboard.

760Lifan
02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Here in Florida, we have 2 kinds of transponders ("SunPass"): An internal one for the windshield (doesn't work well due to the shielded windshield of the 7-series) and an external one I ordered instead which couldn't be used due to the described bend...

My solution: I hold the transponder up against the closed sunroof everytime I'm passing a toll-location. Not the most comfortable solution but it works since the sunroof isn't shielded..

gman750i
02-12-2006, 11:33 AM

Yes, it spells out acceptable locations. It's not the location that I have a problem with. The transponder is made for mounting on the license plate, but the plate bends in the middle and the transponder is rigid and can't bend. What I need to know is if anyone knows of any plate adapter or spacer that is available.

EZPass prohibits manually holding the transponder up. They claim it's unsafe.

BmW745On19's
02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
My solution: I hold the transponder up against the closed sunroof everytime I'm passing a toll-location. Not the most comfortable solution but it works since the sunroof isn't shielded..

Thats exactly what I do! It works very well too but I don't recommend you do this if you are inexperienced with highspeed tollbooth passes, I usally light it up comming outta the toll booth to get ahead of all the slow pokes on the Vetrans Expressway.

760Lifan
02-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Thats exactly what I do! It works very well too but I don't recommend you do this if you are inexperienced with highspeed tollbooth passes, I usally light it up comming outta the toll booth to get ahead of all the slow pokes on the Vetrans Expressway.
AAhhh, somebody from this board who's using the Veteran's Expressway, too! So you can't be living that far away from me. BTW, I'm living in Land O' Lakes...

BmW745On19's
02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
South Tampa is a little bit far from Land O Lakes. We use it to go up to our weekend home.