PDA

View Full Version : what type of gas?

eraserhead
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I am quite inexperienced w Bmw's. jUst got my first one, a 3:25 ci last weekend. What type of gas do I use-- premium, regular..?. and what is the difference? any performance affecting difference? thanks

hawk2100n
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I am quite inexperienced w Bmw's. jUst got my first one, a 3:25 ci last weekend. What type of gas do I use-- premium, regular..?. and what is the difference? any performance affecting difference? thanks
BMW engines are designed to run on Premium, but they will run on regular. The engine will compensate by retarding timing, and you will see some power loss as well as fuel economy. Do a search and you will find plenty of discussion on this topic.

Salvator
02-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Please put on your flame suit, because your are probably going to be napalmed shortly! :yikes: This topic has been discussed many, many times... use the search function to learn more... in a nutshell, you should use minimum 91 octane to get the most out of your car... your manual also has more about this... Happy Searching! :thumbup:

gos
02-12-2006, 09:52 PM
If premium gas isn't available your car will work fine on "lesser" gasolines.

However, in terms of $ per mile driven, premium is actually probably cheaper per mile, due to the extra performance (5% or so).

In a given tank of gas, you'll consequently get better range on premium...

--gos

eraserhead
02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
sorry guys for not searching and thanks for the info. After owning a rav4 for 3 years, a bmw is a mucher higher responsibility, so I am trying to go by the book in everything.

cjwheeling
02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
sorry guys for not searching and thanks for the info. After owning a rav4 for 3 years, a bmw is a mucher higher responsibility, so I am trying to go by the book in everything.

Then you should probably have read yours (book) J/K

:)

Michael

icemanjs4
02-13-2006, 01:05 AM

Ok I promise this isn't a flame. But it's going to sound like one.

If you want to go by the book, then please read the book. The book is the owner's manual. It should be in your glove compartment in the black leather-bound book. It will tell you what type of gas to use, what tire pressure to use, what your maintenance schedule should be, what the little funny warning lights on your dashboard mean, etc. It's a fantasitc little book - and you SHOULD read it cover to cover. You will be much better off for having done that.

Salvator
02-13-2006, 07:30 AM
If you want to go by the book, then please read the book.

Also, as an aside, if you go to www.bmwusa.com (http://www.bmwusa.com) and sign up for the Owner's Circle (it's free) you'll have access to an online version of your owner's manual which makes searching it much easier... :thumbup:

stylinexpat
02-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Never put anything less then the best available on the market for my BMW:) If I were you, I would put Premium in it:thumbup:

eraserhead
02-14-2006, 01:01 AM
man! you bmw guys are sassy!!! just kiddin...thanks for the advice to read my manual. But I really wanted to write a couple of things and get some acquaintance. Honestly, that manual is for the average user. Someone who takes the time to seek out this forum, register and post is not an average user. period. I want to learn more than that, and I want to learn from people who know more than the manual. But really the gas issue was to get to talk to some regulars.
By the way I read it and it says min 91, and no leaded fuel....and that's it.

eraserhead
02-14-2006, 01:12 AM
ok here's a more interesting problem. I searched and couldn't find any solution. The car will not heat. I mean heating should be one of the easiest things, right. As long as the engine runs for 5-10 mins the car should start heating. I turn off the a/c, increase the temp to 90 degrees, still semi-warm air coming. Normally, in any car the car will be like a Turkish bath in 20 mins if you turn everything to max. From the left side, only cold air comes, so I turn that off completely with the manual knob. What could be the problem? I just got the car 2 weeks ago and it is fully certified and just 19000 miles. I have a feeling I am doing smtg wrong. But I mean heating should be basic, no?

wiggin
02-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Haha, rookie.......but I had the same problem for the first 10min of owning the car, if you take a glance at your center air vents you'll see a rotary dial with blue and red, give that solid spin and you should feel the results......and can anyone answer the question, why go through all the trouble of having all the cool auto temp climate control systems, when that d*mn dial is what really controls the whole temp in the cab?!?

---no sig block, i'm to 1337 for that---

andy_thomas
02-14-2006, 05:39 AM
Haha, rookie.......but I had the same problem for the first 10min of owning the car, if you take a glance at your center air vents you'll see a rotary dial with blue and red, give that solid spin and you should feel the results......and can anyone answer the question, why go through all the trouble of having all the cool auto temp climate control systems, when that d*mn dial is what really controls the whole temp in the cab?!?

---no sig block, i'm to 1337 for that---
In colder months, when you have the HVAC set to deliver warmer air, you can distribute airflow to the dash vents and, using that dial, substitute cooler air for the warm air that is much more likely to send you to sleep and into a head-on collision with an oncoming semi at a closing speed of 140 mph. Or thereabouts :)

elfhearse
02-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Not only is the 91 octane recommended...for us ANAL folks, there are the "top tier" fuel brands.

Check out this link to their site (of course BMW is one of the four auto manufacturers that recommends their fuel)

http://www.toptiergas.com/

vern
02-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Not only is the 91 octane recommended...for us ANAL folks, there are the "top tier" fuel brands.

Check out this link to their site (of course BMW is one of the four auto manufacturers that recommends their fuel)

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Very surprised that Exxon-Mobil isn't on that list.
cheers
vern

eraserhead
02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
man I am a rookie. Yeah I saw that center knob and the car is like a sauna now. Mind you, my undergrad degree is Mechanical Engineering with a concentration on Heat Transfer and Energy, and this is no joke. Although I switched carreers, still, this is getting embrassing. Thanks for all the help.

Ok one last question: I have been told by engineer Friends (!!!) that after driving the car for a while it is a good practice to keep the car running on parking or neutral for at least a minute before turning off the engine. Anyone knows if it is true? The manual says when you turn the car on, drive off right away. Although it is not the same thing, I wonder if it is not good for the car to stay in parking with the engine on.

1Dreamer
02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Very surprised that Exxon-Mobil isn't on that list.Me too. :dunno: Any gas experts know what the deal is on that? Is it because they substantially decrease the additives on non-premium where the other"top tier" brands don't?

hmc
02-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I noticed that Shell doesn't give good mieage. I know they use 10% ethanol.

Does Chevron also use ethanol?

WAM
02-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Ok one last question: I have been told by engineer Friends (!!!) that after driving the car for a while it is a good practice to keep the car running on parking or neutral for at least a minute before turning off the engine. Anyone knows if it is true? The manual says when you turn the car on, drive off right away. Although it is not the same thing, I wonder if it is not good for the car to stay in parking with the engine on.

That is sound advice if you have a turbocharged engine, it allows the turbos to cool down. You have a normally aspirated engine, so there is no reason to do that unless you own stock in the oil companies.

Welcome to the club, btw!

sonicsguru
02-14-2006, 01:26 PM
premium, 91 Octane

Pinecone
02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Hmm, another case of RTFM, about the center vent controls.

And if you are really serious, why not spending a little time searchign and reading first?

Salvator
02-14-2006, 08:31 PM
I noticed that Shell doesn't give good mileage.

I concur... My car seems to like BP best of all... Recently, I was changing the oil on my Land Rover, and noted that the Castrol GTX oil I was using indicated it was made by BP... Hmmm, Castrol is the oil BMW promotes... Can my car really tell when BP gas comes through the sensors? And, interestingly again, BP is NOT Top Tier... Curiouser and curiouser... :eeps:

eraserhead
02-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Hmm, another case of RTFM, about the center vent controls.

And if you are really serious, why not spending a little time searchign and reading first?
Just because I asked something I could find in a manual, you have to use the f word. That is what I don't get. Every post has to be one of a kind here? I mean I was hoping to get responses from people with proper education and I don't mean private schools, colleges. Just some respect towards others. I mean I am not making new topics, I am asking questions in one topic. Anyways thanks for the response. I got the premium fuel , I found a chevron and a shell nearby, the car is like a sauna. Some waxing this weekend, oh by the way how do I wax?....... just kidding before some guy says 'read the f... manual, search the f...detail section, skim the f.....P21s web site...

Bart001
02-15-2006, 03:57 AM
Just because I asked something I could find in a manual, you have to use the f word. That is what I don't get. Every post has to be one of a kind here? I mean I was hoping to get responses from people with proper education and I don't mean private schools, colleges. Just some respect towards others. I mean I am not making new topics, I am asking questions in one topic. Anyways thanks for the response. I got the premium fuel , I found a chevron and a shell nearby, the car is like a sauna. Some waxing this weekend, oh by the way how do I wax?....... just kidding before some guy says 'read the f... manual, search the f...detail section, skim the f.....P21s web site...

You must be new to the world of online forums. This forum is pretty much like every other forum. A post that says "I could have found the answer myself easily but wanted to come and interact with the 'regulars'" is going to be flamed on most any forum. If you actually read these forums, you'll see that the people who post saying "Hi I'm new here" or "I just bought a BMW XYZ" get a warm welcome. It's just the way of the online world; get used to it.

MaxTimeOff
02-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Just because I asked something I could find in a manual, you have to use the f word. That is what I don't get....

Come on, don't you know how these forums work?? Pinecone has 7,000 plus posts so he is entitled to be an a$$hole!! You have less than 10 posts, he is better, smarter, stronger, cooler, faster, then you......and me!!:thumbup:

Artslinger
02-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Every week there is at least one "what type of gas" thread, many with bad information.

And if the thread lasts long enough some moron will start a octane war.

Salvator
02-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Just because I asked something I could find in a manual, you have to use the f word.

Actually, if he just said "RTM", no one would have understood him... its part of the interweb lingo... Don't take it so personally... ;)

Oh, and for your waxing questions, there is a "Detail Department" sub forum, where the wax freaks hang out... (I live on a dirt road, so I don't need no stinkin wax... :cry: ) Here's a link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

:thumbup:

Mr Hyde
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Honestly, that manual is for the average user. Someone who takes the time to seek out this forum, register and post is not an average user. period. I want to learn more than that, and I want to learn from people who know more than the manual.

That doesn't really make much sense.

If you want to learn things in depth, you need to start with the basics, and work your way up. The owners manual has alot of good info in it that really should be read.

MaxTimeOff
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Actually, if he just said "RTM", no one would have understood him... its part of the interweb lingo... Don't take it so personally... ;)

I call BS on that.

Salvator
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I call BS on that.

It would be more understandable if you called :bs: on it...

;)

Pinecone
02-15-2006, 03:25 PM
The acronym is RTFM, or Read the Funny Manual. :) If you put a bad word in the saying, that is in YOUR mind. And I agree, I would not have know what I was saying if I had put in RTM. :)

And yes, you acknowledge that you should have read the manual, but wanted to interact. That is cool. But then you turn around and ask another question that you could have found by reading the manual. That is what got me. Then you FREELY admit you could have gotten the answer from reading the manual.

Reading the manual, then asking questions based on what you do not understand or is not in there, and you will be accepted. Coming in and saying you want to be part of the gang, you may be accepted. Coming in and saying you understand you should read the manual, but it is beneath you, and would rather bother us to answer basic questions that ARE in the manual, will NOT get you accepted.

And not using the SEARCH function, once it is pointed out to you, will not be appreciated.

icemanjs4
02-17-2006, 12:30 AM

Hey Eraser,
First of all, noone's getting too upset. RTFM isn't meant as an insult. It's just a cliche. Serioulsy though, most everyone on this forum has actually read the entire manual. It's big print with lots of pictures. You can download it from the owners circle (ownerscircle.bmw.com I believe). I'll bet you'll find lots of other really cool features your car has that you didn't know. (Some people didn't realize there's a storage area in the center console!).

As for detailing, here's one link to get your started:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117385&highlight=zaino

I recommend you search for the following keywords too - and you'll be on your way
2 bucket method for washing
Zaino
Klasse
Big Blue II waffle weave microfiber towel
microfiber towels (pak shak, griots, etc)
Woollite (used for cleaning interior leather and vinyl)
Mother's gold class car shampoo

If after reading these, you still have specific questions, feel free to ask.
However, when it comes to basic functionality of the car, or basic maintenance/cleaning, chances are the questions have been asked and answered dozens of times already and/or are in the user's manual - so start with those two resources and go from there.

PS - you do know that if you hold the unlock button on your key for about 5 seconds, the windows will start to roll down automatically? Just another tidbit in your manual if you haven't read it yet.