PDA

View Full Version : 1997 M3 Ignition cylinder malfun. , serious?

binary89
02-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Hello,

I read up in the forum about the faulty ignition cylinder on the e36 m3's and experienced it twice today.

At first I had no idea what to do so I simply sat there like an idiot and tried to figure out what to do. Then I simply realized that if I was to turn the steering wheel to dead center that there would an audible click and the ignition would be restored to normal. I'm wondering if this is just a character flaw or something that i should have fixed right away due to future ramifications.

At first I thought the sticky shifting characteristic's of the e36 were fishy but then I drove my brothers LT1 camaro with a T56, Hersh Short through, and a McCloud clutch. I swear to you I had to kick that thing in to reverse.

BahnBaum
02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
My son's e36 ignition tumbler has been problematic recently. Just spins unless you move the wheel to a certain position. I just ordered a replacement tumbler from the dealership and will replace the existing one.

Alex

binary89
02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
you wouldn't mind say how much a new ignition tumbler would cost?

BahnBaum
02-14-2006, 06:15 PM
you wouldn't mind say how much a new ignition tumbler would cost?

I haven't picked it up yet, but IIRC they quoted me around $80.

Alex

Pinecone
02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Cool, then you can practice on his car for when the LTW needs one. :) And yes, it occasionally spins.