PDA

View Full Version : just bought 96 m3, now theres a coolant leak..

e36m3_power
02-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Sup everyone, just bought a 96 m3... Just put on SS Exhaust, lowered 2", oversize rear sway bars, 17" bbs wheels, cross drilled rotors, and more to come.. I'll post some pics soon. Anyways, about a week after i bought it, the check control light came on for the coolant. I fill it about once a week and it just keeps emptying itself, but there is no visible leaks. There seems to be some air being released near the radiator hoses when hot. Any suggestions? Dealership told me i need a new radiator because it is somewhat clogged. Could this cause the leaking and are there any ways to "unclog" the radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Drew

SoloII///M
02-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a blown radiator. Air being released near the radiator hoses? :eek: Bad news. I'm guessing the radiator necks are cracking and soon they'll competely split, leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Radiators are cheap. Replace it.

You lowered the car 2"? Here's hoping you upgraded the shocks at the same time. Oversize rear sway bars? Cross-drilled rotors? Oh goodness... :tsk:

ImperialDuckM3
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Sup everyone, just bought a 96 m3... Just put on SS Exhaust, lowered 2", oversize rear sway bars, 17" bbs wheels, cross drilled rotors, and more to come.. I'll post some pics soon. Anyways, about a week after i bought it, the check control light came on for the coolant. I fill it about once a week and it just keeps emptying itself, but there is no visible leaks. There seems to be some air being released near the radiator hoses when hot. Any suggestions? Dealership told me i need a new radiator because it is somewhat clogged. Could this cause the leaking and are there any ways to "unclog" the radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Drew

Did you notice a pool of water near your radiator after driving all day. If not, then it couldn't be your radiator. If you loosing coolent without no possible leaks, then it could be that you have blown a Head Gasket. Which can introduce air into your cooling systems. Have them do a pressure test to see if there any leaks..

thilton59
03-01-2006, 01:04 AM
You lowered the car 2"? Here's hoping you upgraded the shocks at the same time. Oversize rear sway bars? Cross-drilled rotors? Oh goodness... :tsk:

I am going to have to agree. And also, if you plan to keep this car for a while, consider getting a non OE radiator, mine just went as well, and I'm sure in another 100k another will do the same.

Bruce
03-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Do you have the plastic thermostat housing or an aluminum one? My plastic one leaked underneath and got coolant on the front of the motor enough to turn it green but not leaking enough to make a puddle.

e36m3_power
03-12-2006, 07:17 PM

e36m3_power
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
thanks for the tips, turned out there was a small hole in the radiator hose, still plan on replacing the radiator though. yea, definetely got new shocks, actually only a 1.5" drop. heres some pics..