PDA

View Full Version : 1996 M3 advise

prophit
02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Just got this car and the motor blew.. Trying to find a replacement but not having the greatest luck finding one at a reasonable price.. is there a place that sells them for cheap.. i have found some for like 2-3k but i feel that is really expensive.. any ideas?

MATT95M3
02-15-2006, 04:58 PM
i over revved mine a few months ago and had to buy another engine i got a reman from bavarian in ca they also have used engines with a warranty no matter where you go i think you would be very lucky to find a decent engine under 3000 look around on the net ebay even but the warranty on a used engine is worth a bit extra good luck

Pinecone
02-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Great, one blown engine and now you want to cheap out? That is a recipe for ANOTHER blown engine.

Much better to do it right.

prophit
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
not so much i want to cheap it out but damn spending 3k for a used replacement motor thats crazy.
I mean if it was a fully rebuilt motor for 3k i wouldnt be caring..
i think im just going to rebuild the one i have. new pistons rings bearings valves all that good stuff.. i will pay more but atleast it will be a new motor.

SoloII///M
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
What exactly blew on your motor? And do you know how to rebuild a motor, or do you mean have someone else rebuild it?

prophit
02-16-2006, 09:54 AM
I have rebuilt 300zx motors and chevy 350's. Basicly what happened is shifted from 3rd into 2nd doing 80mph... alot of the valves are bent. Not sure about the pistons. Havent taken the head off. I will probally just buy a used or a rebuilt motor. Unless my block is still usable and just needs a few new pistons and the head rebuilt. I live in scottsdale AZ but the car is in sacramento CA. Going to call some places and get some quotes.

KCLARK
02-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I will say a prayer for you trying to get a S52 for under $2k, :angel2: GL!!

SoloII///M
02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I have rebuilt 300zx motors and chevy 350's. Basicly what happened is shifted from 3rd into 2nd doing 80mph... alot of the valves are bent. Not sure about the pistons. Havent taken the head off. I will probally just buy a used or a rebuilt motor. Unless my block is still usable and just needs a few new pistons and the head rebuilt. I live in scottsdale AZ but the car is in sacramento CA. Going to call some places and get some quotes.

Ah. Yeah, that tends to be not good for your motor.

I'd disassemble it and do an evaluation before going to buy a whole new motor, but that's just me.

JV

prophit
02-16-2006, 01:44 PM
ya thats whats gonna happen.. Honestly i think the head just needs to be rebuilt. Im sure the pistons splammed into the valves well cause the first 5 valves are bent but i doubt they did much if any damage to the pistons. Just get all new valves and gaskets.. I will start the eval here in a few weeks. Going to try and get the car here in AZ

Pinecone
02-18-2006, 06:55 AM
As long as there is not a hole inte side of the block (which can happen with the money shift) you can probably rebuild it.

MATT95M3
02-20-2006, 12:23 PM
when i missed a shift i put holes in 2 pistons and bent all the exhaust valves except for the 2 that broke off the stems also destroyed the head but the block was still good as was the crank i have pics if you guys want to see em' just email me crzyflier@aol.com it was ugly and the new motor cost almost $7000 so that hurt alittle bit too-

MATT95M3
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
also by the way if you haven't already done so try to take the plugs out but be careful if they feel like they are hard to turn just stop because you will be cutting new threads into the head they may be best removed after you get the head off by using a high speed