PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if you've bent a rim?

Matt_UKTX
02-15-2006, 09:12 PM
It seems there's been a lot of talk on the forum lately about people bending rims and having all kinds of problems with the RFT's.

My question is: How can you tell if you bent a rim (or more than one rim). I don't believe I have bent a rim, but I'd like to know what to look for in future. Can you tell from a visual inspection? Where would you look? How does the car feel/ride/sound with bent rim(s)? How does the feeling change at different speeds? Are there any places you can take your car where they can check this (like Discount Tire or something like that)? How does a bent rim feel different from poor alignment, or uneven tire pressure, or worn tires? Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Moderato
02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
It seems there's been a lot of talk on the forum lately about people bending rims and having all kinds of problems with the RFT's.

My question is: How can you tell if you bent a rim (or more than one rim). I don't believe I have bent a rim, but I'd like to know what to look for in future. Can you tell from a visual inspection? Where would you look? How does the car feel/ride/sound with bent rim(s)? How does the feeling change at different speeds? Are there any places you can take your car where they can check this (like Discount Tire or something like that)? How does a bent rim feel different from poor alignment, or uneven tire pressure, or worn tires? Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...If the rim is bent you should feel vibarations ranging from noticeable to severe, depending. If you really have to concentrate and listen then it's probably just the road surface messing with your head and the rim is probably fine. If you're really wondering you should take the car to a wheel & tire place and they'll put it on the balancer and let you know for sure.

oghowie
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
I think all the talk about bent rims has got me overthinking too. However, I did hit 2 huge pot holes this weekend. There's no visible damage and I can't tell if it's just the crappy roads in some areas. :dunno:

BillB - PA
03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
It's entirely possible you won't feel or see anything. I took my car in on Monday and explained that I had whacked a couple pot holes. I quote the service writers response: "do you know what happens when you hit a pot hole in a BMW? You bend rims." Sure enough, the R/F rim was bent on the inside - there was no wobble or shimmy, no outward evidence of a bend. I haven't gotten the car back, or seen the old rim, but felt I could share my experience as it might give you some insight.

ad2005
03-14-2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks...
Matt 330i

I bent two rims (driver's side front and rear) about a month ago on my new 330i. The car drove ok at low speeds 0-35mph. When I got over 40 mph there was noticeable amount of vibration on the steering wheel. The service guy called it shimmy when I took it in. At speeds between 45-50mph I could feel the vibration in my seat. It sort of, kind of feels like a tire going flat as well, except these are RFTs. During braking the car was pulling to the right and if I let go the steering when cruising it was drifting to the left.
After I got the two rims changed I requested the bent rims be returned to me. I came home and looked at them carefully. I rolled them on the laminate kitchen floor and they rolled fine. It was only after staring at them for a while that I was able to notice a bend on the inner edge of the rim.
According to service guy if the bend is subtle it can go unnoticed for a while, and sometime you may notice vibration in the steering at very high 80+mph.
Hope this helps.
ad2005

ad2005
03-14-2006, 05:22 PM
It's entirely possible you won't feel or see anything. I took my car in on Monday and explained that I had whacked a couple pot holes. I quote the service writers response: "do you know what happens when you hit a pot hole in a BMW? You bend rims." Sure enough, the R/F rim was bent on the inside - there was no wobble or shimmy, no outward evidence of a bend. I haven't gotten the car back, or seen the old rim, but felt I could share my experience as it might give you some insight.
BillB-PA,

Sorry to hear about your bent rim. These philly burb areas seems to be notorius for pothole ( rim benders). Make sure you get your old rim back. You can get it trued at the Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA (just outside of Easton).

ad2005

antartican1
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Funny how I hit a 3 inch pothole in my Mustang GT at 100kph and I busted a shock absorber. But my rim and tire were fine. Could it be that there's no pothole in Germany?

Jupeman
03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Funny how I hit a 3 inch pothole in my Mustang GT at 100kph and I busted a shock absorber. But my rim and tire were fine. Could it be that there's no pothole in Germany?

Fwiw, roads in Germany are in fabulous shape...

GG_The_Fly
03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I hit a HUGE pothole in manhattan this weekend going about 40 :yikes: -- ugh. I'm totally paranoid about having bent a rim but there doesn't seem to be any symptoms so far, even at high speeds. Hopefully I am okay. . . :)

jillyjellyroll
03-15-2006, 05:30 AM
I hit a HUGE pothole in manhattan this weekend going about 40 :yikes: -- ugh. I'm totally paranoid about having bent a rim but there doesn't seem to be any symptoms so far, even at high speeds. Hopefully I am okay. . . :)

how'd you manage to actually do 40 in manhattan....;)

oghowie
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM

I guess I better take it in to my dealership since I have the tire and wheel warranty.

GG_The_Fly
03-15-2006, 01:34 PM
how'd you manage to actually do 40 in manhattan....;)

You can go VERY fast in manhattan as long as you're on an avenue and its a weekend. Its crosstown traffic that's awful and takes forever. I'm totally paranoid something's up with my car now even though it seems fine. . . :(

BillB - PA
03-15-2006, 08:35 PM
BillB-PA,

Sorry to hear about your bent rim. These philly burb areas seems to be notorius for pothole ( rim benders). Make sure you get your old rim back. You can get it trued at the Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA (just outside of Easton).

ad2005

They will give me the rim as long as the insurance company doesn't request it back. I have had WCC repair quite a few wheels over the years. I have even been to the facility and waited for a wheel to be repaired.

I am pleased with the tire/wheel insurance - the cost for replacement was zero, $0.00, so as of now I am $71.00 ahead of the premium I paid for the policy.

elambchops
11-03-2012, 06:24 AM
I have just come across a posting by Matt_330i which somehow could possibly explain my problem, Matt can you help me, I live in the UK and have a 530D, I have had the car 3 years and have never even been able to source the cause of my vibration, we have changed propshafts, driveshafts, the Guibo, had the gearbox off to check the duel mass flywheel, have had all the rear ball joints changed, new wheel bearings all around had the suspension checked and nothing.

I have a vibration which starts around 40 mph and peaks at 50-55 mph, it feels all over the car and not in any single place, I have had the rims checked and there was some very slight damage to the inner side of two rims, the local Tyre depot advises that this should not give any problem but the vibration is still there after they balance it on their Hunter machine, the strange thing is if I throttle up it goes, if I take my foot off the throttle it goes, if I come back to cruising especially at 55 it returns, the faster I go the less it gets and above 85 mph it seems to go. Do any of these symptoms sound similar to your rim problem??

Regards

Dave South Wales UK

Sportsdad
11-03-2012, 07:21 AM
You can go VERY fast in manhattan as long as you're on a sidewalk and its a weekend. Its the crosswalks that are awful and takes forever.

Fixed! :eeps:

OptionsTrdr
11-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Really old thread, but I had bent my two passenger side rims earlier this year. I was going about 50 and hit a pothole. It was hard enough to make my radio turn off for a couple seconds.

I didn't notice any changes in the driving habits of the car so I had no clue they were bent until I took my wheels in to get them refinished. The guy put it up on the lift and showed me how to spot a bent rim. We stood under it and spun the wheel and you can see the bend as the wheel is spinning.

This is him (but not my car): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI_zopGNNA8

Anavel
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Had my first pothole explosion last week. Seemed okay around town but after going on the highway today something is surely up. I am pretty sure I can feel and hear a slight vibration (50-80mph) from at least the front passengers tire. Car is going up on the lift later this week to see what I can find.