PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes's bluish tint...Possible to get done on BMW?

BringsMeWomen
02-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Ever see the Mercedes with the stock bluish tint? It's very subtle and classy.... Not cheap looking.
Is that something you have done after market on BMW's?

Penforhire
02-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Looks rice-y to me. It is the higher color temperature of their HID's. Ours must be around 4300K (nearly white light) and theirs must be at least 5000K.

If our e90's use a standard-size "capsule" it could easily be replaced by a different temperature unit. Depending on your choice it may not be DOT-legal. Discount mail-order price is usually less than $100 per capsule (commonly e-bay sellers shipping out of China).

Anyone know what capsule type our e90's use?

TLudwig
02-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I believe that tinting is actually part of the glass (not film). I don't even want to know how much it would cost to replace all the glass in my bimmer, especially with custom-tinted glass.

TLudwig
02-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Looks rice-y to me. It is the higher color temperature of their HID's. Ours must be around 4300K (nearly white light) and theirs must be at least 5000K.

If our e90's use a standard-size "capsule" it could easily be replaced by a different temperature unit. Depending on your choice it may not be DOT-legal. Discount mail-order price is usually less than $100 per capsule (commonly e-bay sellers shipping out of China).

Anyone know what capsule type our e90's use?

I believe the OP was talking about the bluish window tint.

Penforhire
02-16-2006, 09:57 AM
<D'oh!> I just saw an extra-bluish MBZ last night. Must have MBZ on my mind...

JonM
02-16-2006, 10:40 AM
As others have said, the M-B "tint" is not a film and it is in the glass. That said, I am sure you can get that color of tint applied to any car. I work with a guy who has a new bright red Audi A3, and he has (!! :yikes: !!) red window tint.

Not what I would choose, but to each his own.

BringsMeWomen
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Cool. Thanks for the input.