PDA

View Full Version : Major Elctrical failure. Thoughts

skidmo
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
The patient is a 1999 740i. Driving home two nights ago, the radio and A/C went dead, the pixel panel on the dash disappeared and the windshield wipers stopped working. The next morning, I start the car up and the radio comes on for about 5 seconds, then dies. At this point, the car is still drivable but, in addition to the radio, A/C, windshield wipers, and panel, none of my dashboard is working (no speedometer, no gas guage, etc.). Power locks are gone as well. Outside lights, brake lights and turn signal still work.

There are no blown fuses.

I took it to the shop (a local shop with a good rep) who replaced the instrument cluster. After replacing it, they tried to reboot the system and got nothing. Now, they need to spend hours probing around to see if they can find anything.

Any thoughts out there on the above (or similar experiences/solutions) would be great and would probably save me hundreds of dollars in labor costs. I can only think that a wire is frayed somewhere which has to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks, Bob