PDA

View Full Version : Stolen car manual and registration docs (among other things)

Ernö
02-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi there festers,

So here's what happened: I live in an apartment with a covered, secure (at least I thought so) garage. When I came down this morning to drive to work, I noticed that I had forgotten to lock my car door last night. Not noticing anything missing at first, I started to drive off from my spot when I realised that my sunglasses were missing from the sunglass holder in the car. So I stopped the car and looked around and finally realised that all the documentation in my glove compartment had been stolen.

So here's a (bizzarre) list of stuff that was stolen:
- Manuals (car manual, service history, radio manual, etc.)
- Registration papers for my car
- Insurance card
- Cheque book (that just happened to be in my car for the past 2 days)
- Sun glasses (the damn fool took my sun glasses, but left the case that was right there)
- 2 half empty boxes of mint!!
- A couple of empty CD jewel cases from the glove compartment (the CDs themselves were still in my visor CD holder!)

Now for my questions:
1) I've called my bank and put a hold on the cheque leaves in the cheque book that was stolen. Anything else you folks recommend doing? (I'm seriously thinking of changing my account number, wonder if that's a good idea or just paranoia)
2) I have a CPO 2002 E46 sedan. Do you think BMW will be able to give me a new car manual / radio manual and a copy of my service history (given that it's been serviced at the same dealer even before I bought it). I'm guessing I'll have to pay for the manuals, but has anyone been in a similar situation?
3) I still need to call the DMV, but does anyone know the process of getting a spare set of registration documents, and what I should look out for?
4) What sort of stuff should I be wary about given that the identity theft was partial? The thief has my name, my old address, probably knows my new address since he stole the stuff from my apartment building, knows my bank account number, and has a few cheque leaves that are now invalid.

Even though I'm not a prolific poster at bimmerfest, I read it regularly and have noticed excellent ideas from you folks, so let's hear them please :)

Thanks!

Fast Bob
02-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Experienced thieves know that many people leave the spare plastic valet key in with the manual....having this, and your documentation would be very beneficial to a thief....they now know where the car is stored. You might want to add another layer of protection, maybe a hidden cutoff switch for the fuel pump, or something like the Autolock, which immobilizes the brake pedal.

Regards,
Bob

Ernö
02-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Experienced thieves know that many people leave the spare plastic valet key in with the manual....

Thanks Bob. I have the little plastic spare key in my wallet, so all the thief really has are my manuals and registration documents.

Awaiting responses to my other questions... anyone else?

Kanuck
02-17-2006, 02:41 PM
They still might use those documents to pose as you at a dealership to get another key.

Ernö
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
They still might use those documents to pose as you at a dealership to get another key.

Just called the dealership - they say there's no way they'll issue a spare key to someone that doesn't have a valid drivers license with my name and picture on it.

mmm... what else do I need to think of...

Ernö
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Just got back from the DMV with a replacement copy of my registration. Also called the BMW dealership - it will cost approximately $50 for replacement car and radio manuals.

Now my only concern is the bank account... you guys recommend I change it?

cwsqbm
02-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Just called the dealership - they say there's no way they'll issue a spare key to someone that doesn't have a valid drivers license with my name and picture on it.

mmm... what else do I need to think of...

I'd worry about Identity theft. The stolen car is much easier to replace.

Ernö
02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I'd worry about Identity theft. The stolen car is much easier to replace.

Yep, that's exactly what I was worried about in my original post. I've decided to go ahead and have my bank account number changed after all.

Does anyone have experience with calling the credit reporting bureaus and letting them know about this? I'm thinking of calling Equifax.

Also, I'm thinking of reporting this to the police. Is that something I should be doing given the circumstances, and if so, is 911 the number I should call? (this technically isn't an emergency, but how else do I call the cops? :))

BeachBum
02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I would change the account due to your account number and routing information being on the bottom on the cheques. I've made payments over the phone using just that information and I imagine there are some online services that allow purchases via that info as well.

BeachBum
02-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I would report it to the police just as a routine course of action. I would think it would be beneficial to have it officially documented if anything more arose out of it. Look it up in the Gov't pages of the phone book, I would think you would have to go down to make a statement or maybe they would send a car to you to document possesions lost and location of the theft.

Ernö
02-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll go ahead and do both things.