PDA

View Full Version : Questiong about Valentine One (V1) and Laser

Patrick330i
02-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I was reading the review at www.speedzones.com. Seems like a nice review. I know that a lot of people here favor the Valentine over the Passport 8500 X50, but in reviewing this article it would seem that the only category in which the V1 clearly out-performs the 8500 is in laser detection. But is this a moot point? I mean, if you get popped by laser, isn't it game over anyway? It's not like you are picking up a distant or increasing signal and can adjust. If you are popped, you are popped. And the article makes a claim that if the guy in front of you is popped, the laser signal does not disperse to the point that your V1 will pick it up. Any comments?

Also, speedzones' study posts numbers that suggest that the V1 may not pick up POP in a certain frequency within Ka band. That seems to be a disadvantage to the V1. Any comment on that?

I realize that many here love the arrows that V1 has. That is a nice feature, no doubt. I am just looking for the best performing detector in terms of detecting a signal accurately in the first place (I am not as concerned about the features that may come with the detector, at least not for purposes of this thread). It's hard to find info that will dispose of the issue once and for all (obviously such doesn't exist because I suspect the detectors are fairly close in comparison).

Thanks, and I am hoping this is a bit more technical and in-depth instead of just another joe-blow radar detector thread. :thumbup:

SteveinBelAir
02-18-2006, 05:16 AM
On Tuesday I was 200-300ft behind a car that got lasered (we were doing 85-88mph) and my 8500 lit up. He got pulled over. I was lucky.

Generally if you are at the front of the pack and get lasered you are toast. All is not lost though. While jamming radar is very illegal, Lidar jammers are not and there are several jammers on the market that work very well. The trick is to have enough warning to hit the brakes.

To hold up in court, you have to be within 1000' of the LEO (law enforcement officer) when he tags you. The Lidar gun will tell the LEO the speed and distance. A good detector will squeal at this distance but it is usually too late. A jammer will confuse the Lidar gun until you are within 400-500' giving you time to slow down.

There is also a product called Veil which is a reflective paint that you apply to your headlights and tags. I have it on my daily driver Volvo since I drive 30000 miles plus for business but I wouldn't want it on the 330.

There's a lot of info on http://www.radardetector.net/ Also a lot of good videos of jammers and Veil in use at Guys of Lidar at http://www.radardetector.net/ GOL are a bunch of dudes that do no-nonsense objective tests of detectors and other countermeasures. Lots of good info there.

wwb4
02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a V1 hardwired....and a Blinder laser jammer set-up currently in my car. The previous poster was right in regards to Lidar (the most prevalent Laser radar out there), in my next BMW I am looking to get, I plan on having my V1 hardwired with a "Lidatek" (the best Lidar/Laser jammer on the market period) jammer set-up. In addition numerous M5 owners, Porsche owners, exotic car owners, and leadfoots around the country swear by "Lidatek" being the best in the market. Check out their website below for additional info:

http://www.lidatek.com/index.html

P.S.-I have owned several Passport radar detectors, including but not limited to the new X50 prior to purchasing my V1, and I couldn't be happier with my V1.

Patrick330i
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks, guys. Good stuff! :thumbup:

wwb4
02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks, guys. Good stuff! :thumbup:

No prob.....your very welcome. You may also want to check out:

www.radarbusters.com

It's a site run by a retired cop and certified traffic radar instructor, and contains a wealth of information in regards to the subject.

swchang
02-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I have a V1 hardwired....and a Blinder laser jammer set-up currently in my car. The previous poster was right in regards to Lidar (the most prevalent Laser radar out there), in my next BMW I am looking to get, I plan on having my V1 hardwired with a "Lidatek" (the best Lidar/Laser jammer on the market period) jammer set-up. In addition numerous M5 owners, Porsche owners, exotic car owners, and leadfoots around the country swear by "Lidatek" being the best in the market. Check out their website below for additional info:

http://www.lidatek.com/index.html

P.S.-I have owned several Passport radar detectors, including but not limited to the new X50 prior to purchasing my V1, and I couldn't be happier with my V1.

wwb4, why not just get the Lidatek on your car now?

swchang
02-18-2006, 11:56 PM
On Tuesday I was 200-300ft behind a car that got lasered (we were doing 85-88mph) and my 8500 lit up. He got pulled over. I was lucky.

Generally if you are at the front of the pack and get lasered you are toast. All is not lost though. While jamming radar is very illegal, Lidar jammers are not and there are several jammers on the market that work very well. The trick is to have enough warning to hit the brakes.

To hold up in court, you have to be within 1000' of the LEO (law enforcement officer) when he tags you. The Lidar gun will tell the LEO the speed and distance. A good detector will squeal at this distance but it is usually too late. A jammer will confuse the Lidar gun until you are within 400-500' giving you time to slow down.

There is also a product called Veil which is a reflective paint that you apply to your headlights and tags. I have it on my daily driver Volvo since I drive 30000 miles plus for business but I wouldn't want it on the 330.

There's a lot of info on http://www.radardetector.net/ Also a lot of good videos of jammers and Veil in use at Guys of Lidar at http://www.radardetector.net/ GOL are a bunch of dudes that do no-nonsense objective tests of detectors and other countermeasures. Lots of good info there.

Why not VEIL on your 330? I'm thinking of getting this product given wwb4's suggestions and reading on the forums on radardetector.net. I'm a little concerned it'd dim my lights too much, though.

wwb4
02-19-2006, 12:05 AM
wwb4, why not just get the Lidatek on your car now?

Because to be honest with you I wasn't made aware of.............or know of the "Lidatek" prior to getting the "Blinder" installed in my car....otherwise I definitely would have gotten the "Lidatek" to begin with.....in addition I have already spent a "considerable" amount of money getting the Blinder installed in my car, and with the fact that I am looking to more than likely replace my current 540iA with a M5 in a couple of months, it just doesn't make sense to spend another $1k+ on the "Lidatek" set-up, and uninstall my "Blinder". So I'll just have to make due for a couple of months. :D

P.S.-I haven't had any qualms/problems with my Blinder, but I feel that the Lidatek is better equipped to deal with new radar/lidar that law enforcement is "presently" using, basically my current set-up is becoming an inferior product to that of the "Lidatek". :(

wwb4
02-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Why not VEIL on your 330? I'm thinking of getting this product given wwb4's suggestions and reading on the forums on radardetector.net. I'm a little concerned it'd dim my lights too much, though.

Until you can justify/decide whether or not you are willing to or want to invest the money in a radar jammer.....can I also suggest that you get this:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

to use in the conjunction with VEIL. It will give you a little more peace of mind when used together. :thumbup:

swchang
02-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Until you can justify/decide whether or not you are willing to or want to invest the money in a radar jammer.....can I also suggest that you get this:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

to use in the conjunction with VEIL. It will give you a little more peace of mind when used together. :thumbup:

What were you trying to post? That just sends me to the main bavauto page.

wwb4
02-19-2006, 12:39 AM
What were you trying to post? That just sends me to the main bavauto page.

Huh, that's interesting. Sorry about that.......the site's links don't link properly. My apologies. Try this:

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/exterior_style/lasershield.jpg

Here is the product description from the Bavarian Auto website:

Inexpensive insurance against costly speeding tickets. To obtain an effective reading at long distances, a police laser gun needs a flat surface to bounce off. Your front license plate is the preferred target. Laser Shield absorbs and diffuses incoming laser beams, giving you more time to respond to laser detector alerts. It's thin enough to slip into most license plate frames, it won't yellow and it's shatterproof under normal conditions. Available for both US and Euro-style plates. Please specify. Note: This device is legal in most areas. Check local statutes before ordering. Buyer assumes all responsibility for using these lenses in compliance with local motor vehicle codes in their area of vehicle use.

Part Number: 89004 Description: Laser Shield-Laser Defense License Plate Shield-US Plates Price: $19.95

Hope this helps, and works better.

swchang
02-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Huh, that's interesting. Sorry about that.......the site's links don't link properly. My apologies. Try this:

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/exterior_style/lasershield.jpg

Here is the product description from the Bavarian Auto website:

Inexpensive insurance against costly speeding tickets. To obtain an effective reading at long distances, a police laser gun needs a flat surface to bounce off. Your front license plate is the preferred target. Laser Shield absorbs and diffuses incoming laser beams, giving you more time to respond to laser detector alerts. It's thin enough to slip into most license plate frames, it won't yellow and it's shatterproof under normal conditions. Available for both US and Euro-style plates. Please specify. Note: This device is legal in most areas. Check local statutes before ordering. Buyer assumes all responsibility for using these lenses in compliance with local motor vehicle codes in their area of vehicle use.

Part Number: 89004 Description: Laser Shield-Laser Defense License Plate Shield-US Plates Price: $19.95

Hope this helps, and works better.

Cool, that was in one of the videos I saw on radardetector.net. I don't have a front plate, though, so it's a moot point for me.

What do you think of VEIL and its effects on headlight brightness? I got xenons because I wanted more visibility at night...

wwb4
02-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Cool, that was in one of the videos I saw on radardetector.net. I don't have a front plate, though, so it's a moot point for me.

What do you think of VEIL and its effects on headlight brightness? I got xenons because I wanted more visibility at night...

I got ya. As for the VEIL application, I have not noticed any ill effects of using VEIL on my headlights/foglights, however I too have xenons on my car. The effects may possibly be different on a vehicle equipped with regular halogens. :dunno:

swchang
02-19-2006, 01:00 AM
I got ya. As for the VEIL application, I have not noticed any ill effects of using VEIL on my headlights/foglights, however I too have xenons on my car. The effects may possibly be different on a vehicle equipped with regular halogens. :dunno:

Why are you so into laser protection anyway? Is there a lot of lasering in the DC/VA/MD area?

Interesting that Steve said you gotta be within 1000' for laser to hold up. I'll have to check my ticket, I think the distance listed was >that. But I wonder if CT has different requirements...

wwb4
02-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Why are you so into laser protection anyway? Is there a lot of lasering in the DC/VA/MD area?

Interesting that Steve said you gotta be within 1000' for laser to hold up. I'll have to check my ticket, I think the distance listed was >that. But I wonder if CT has different requirements...

My focus isn't just on that of "laser protection"......it's on "speed protection" as a whole. I just want to "try" and be as knowledgeable in regards to the subject as humanely possibly, so that things won't be the same as they were for me many years ago when I was labeled a "rapid point accumulation driver" according to DMW, and was averaging 4-6 speeding tickets a month......had my license suspended concurrent times.....was paying a lawyer $1k-$2k a month to prevent my license from being permanently "revoked"....was paying $600/month for full coverage insurance.....yadda...yadda....yadda. Now I obey all traffic signs (with the exception of that referencing the speed limit on major freeways/highways :D )....use my blinkers....don't tailgate.....stop for all stop signs....etc...etc....etc....but to be honest with you, like many people, I have a led foot. I just feel that it's better to take the "spare no expense" approach when it comes to protection, rather than the alternative (i.e.-traffic/driver's improvement schools, ticket costs, court costs, lawyer costs, higher insurance, temp/permanent license suspension, points on my license, and my sanity most importantly :p )to insure that I am as "least" likely (let's face it, "nothing" is perfect) as possible to get a speeding ticket. In regards to laser/lidar (most if not "all" instant-on radar is laser/lidar, because it is the "only" type that guarantees the most success in clocking an accurate speed in the short bursts in which it operates) in the DC/VA/MD area, I have found that it is used "everywhere" in Northern VA, I would say that 99.9% of the speed traps on non-freeway/highways roads are with instant-on, and on the freeways/highways it's mostly stationary K/Ka band radar throughout MD/VA.......and the occassional and "super rare" speed trap in DC. (I haven't seen a speed trap in DC since '99 when I was riding in the car going to dinner with my grandparents)

That's a interesting point in regards to the distance at which laser is successful, you should definitely look into that. When is your court date? (on a side note, if I'm not mistaken weren't you up there for a job interview, how'd it go?)

swchang
02-19-2006, 02:29 AM
My focus isn't just on that of "laser protection"......it's on "speed protection" as a whole. I just want to "try" and be as knowledgeable in regards to the subject as humanely possibly, so that things won't be the same as they were for me many years ago when I was labeled a "rapid point accumulation driver" according to DMW, and was averaging 4-6 speeding tickets a month......had my license suspended concurrent times.....was paying a lawyer $1k-$2k a month to prevent my license from being permanently "revoked"....was paying $600/month for full coverage insurance.....yadda...yadda....yadda. Now I obey all traffic signs (with the exception of that referencing the speed limit on major freeways/highways :D )....use my blinkers....don't tailgate.....stop for all stop signs....etc...etc....etc....but to be honest with you, like many people, I have a led foot. I just feel that it's better to take the "spare no expense" approach when it comes to protection, rather than the alternative (i.e.-traffic/driver's improvement schools, ticket costs, court costs, lawyer costs, higher insurance, temp/permanent license suspension, points on my license, and my sanity most importantly :p )to insure that I am as "least" likely (let's face it, "nothing" is perfect) as possible to get a speeding ticket. In regards to laser/lidar (most if not "all" instant-on radar is laser/lidar, because it is the "only" type that guarantees the most success in clocking an accurate speed in the short bursts in which it operates) in the DC/VA/MD area, I have found that it is used "everywhere" in Northern VA, I would say that 99.9% of the speed traps on non-freeway/highways roads are with instant-on, and on the freeways/highways it's mostly stationary K/Ka band radar throughout MD/VA.......and the occassional and "super rare" speed trap in DC. (I haven't seen a speed trap in DC since '99 when I was riding in the car going to dinner with my grandparents)

That's a interesting point in regards to the distance at which laser is successful, you should definitely look into that. When is your court date? (on a side note, if I'm not mistaken weren't you up there for a job interview, how'd it go?)

I was up for a residency interview. It went okay, but I can't really speak about it until Feb. 22 at 9:01pm... :eeps:

Don't have a court date yet, haven't even sent in my reply yet. I supposedly have until March 3, then I wait for my notice to send a written explanation/appeal to the prosecutor so he/she can decide whether to proceed to court. If that happens, I then get to start playing with court dates. :tsk:

I wasn't aware laser was used much in this area. I especially don't know for DC/VA, since I turn my detector off. Do you keep yours on? And do you know if laser jamming is legal in the area?

wwb4
02-19-2006, 04:47 AM
I was up for a residency interview. It went okay, but I can't really speak about it until Feb. 22 at 9:01pm... :eeps:

Don't have a court date yet, haven't even sent in my reply yet. I supposedly have until March 3, then I wait for my notice to send a written explanation/appeal to the prosecutor so he/she can decide whether to proceed to court. If that happens, I then get to start playing with court dates. :tsk:

I wasn't aware laser was used much in this area. I especially don't know for DC/VA, since I turn my detector off. Do you keep yours on? And do you know if laser jamming is legal in the area?

I got ya.....well I wish you the best.....make sure to keep us posted. :thumbup:

You don't even have a court date yet? There's no date and time on the ticket? I guess CT operates diffently than VA/MD/DC.....in that when the ticket is issued here in the DC metro area the ticket lists a court date and time. Well I wish you luck in that as well.....did you ever contact or seek legal counsel in the jurisdiction that you received the ticket?

Yes, laser is used "a lot" in this area, the reason being it is the "latest and greatest", and due to the fact that we live in a relatively affluent area, in regards to police depts, I'm assuming they have no problem with acquiring the necessary finances to get laser/lidar. I have my V1 hardwired, and due to my tint, and the fact that is literally impossible to see into my car day or night I run it "all" the time even in VA & DC. (I have MD tags, and due to this area being so transient I have "never" gotten stopped while driving through/in DC/VA with my car-also, just so you know, the only place in the country where radar detectors are still illegal is "VA", it's not illegal to use one in DC) As for laser jammers, to the best of my knowledge they are illegal in most states in the US. However, I am unsure of the exact laws in regards to them in MD/DC/VA, but I'm assuming they are illegal.

P.S.-See attached pics to see pics of my windows, and the reason why I run radar "all" of the time, because I am "pretty" confident that my car can't be seen into. :D

mullman
02-19-2006, 05:00 AM
I can also attest to the V1's "stealth" ability.

I drive on I-81 all the way through VA several times per year and have my V1 hardwired.
She finds the radar & laser and they never seem to notice me - Mike Valentine makes an amazing product, saved me many times the price!

The other thing I appreciate about it is the upgrade policy.
Having bought the "original" in 1994 or so I have sent it in for upgrade several times at a more than fair price.

swchang
02-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I got ya.....well I wish you the best.....make sure to keep us posted. :thumbup:

You don't even have a court date yet? There's no date and time on the ticket? I guess CT operates diffently than VA/MD/DC.....in that when the ticket is issued here in the DC metro area the ticket lists a court date and time. Well I wish you luck in that as well.....did you ever contact or seek legal counsel in the jurisdiction that you received the ticket?

Yes, laser is used "a lot" in this area, the reason being it is the "latest and greatest", and due to the fact that we live in a relatively affluent area, in regards to police depts, I'm assuming they have no problem with acquiring the necessary finances to get laser/lidar. I have my V1 hardwired, and due to my tint, and the fact that is literally impossible to see into my car day or night I run it "all" the time even in VA & DC. (I have MD tags, and due to this area being so transient I have "never" gotten stopped while driving through/in DC/VA with my car-also, just so you know, the only place in the country where radar detectors are still illegal is "VA", it's not illegal to use one in DC) As for laser jammers, to the best of my knowledge they are illegal in most states in the US. However, I am unsure of the exact laws in regards to them in MD/DC/VA, but I'm assuming they are illegal.

P.S.-See attached pics to see pics of my windows, and the reason why I run radar "all" of the time, because I am "pretty" confident that my car can't be seen into. :D

Yeah, there's no court date listed on the ticket. I did call up one lawyer but he was like, what were you doing going that fast? I was like, uh, I dunno... I'm not admitting to going this fast (at that time), but I didn't realize going 20 over 65 was such a big deal... Maybe I've been speeding too much too often and been reading too many of these car forums...

Nice limo tint. Can you see out of that thing at night? ;) And FYI, radar detectors are illegal in DC as well, your tint is too dark for even Maryland (although I still see plenty running around like that), and I'd be concerned about radar detector detectors if I were you. Glad you haven't been caught so far, but figured might as well give you fair warning there's a possibility.

SteveinBelAir
02-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Maryland has a ton of Laser enforcement as well as Ka. The DC area seems to have a lot of X band in my experience.

Veil darkens your headlights. I may try it on the 330. We'll see. It's definitely going on the tag.

docarut
02-19-2006, 11:43 AM

On another car I had laser jammers front and rear but was nervous since is illegal in California. Law states anything that interferes with officers doing enforcement is illegal. I am too paranoid to put on my M.

Bob

SteveinBelAir
02-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, it seems Laser Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

02-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I got lasered in IL and won! First off it wasn't me, he got the Accord next to me, my detector went off from the pack of cars ahead and I put it in cruise control. But he wanted the shiny expensive car. We start arguing about who he got, I explain how laser works, Mr. cruise control and when I realize what a prick he is I remember what my lawyer friends have told me, "You can verbally abuse an officer until he cries and he can't do anything about it", so that was fun.
I talked to my lawyer friends and they tell me how to do it. In Illinois Laser does not have "judicial notice" meaning that using laser isn't a proven method to determine speed. The prosecution can't say "he was going 64" defense "how do you know he doing 64?" I shot him with a laser gun " I object, using laser to determine speed has no judicial notice in IL, go get a laser expert to prove it"
Gravity, etc has judicial notice, until it's proven, it doesn't exist.
It's a little more complicated than that. You need to make a motion to suppress their evidence; the judge can be a moron and over rule that, then you need to take him to the Appellate courts. A guy in IL got railroaded, went to the Appellate and won.
I also know thru my family a IL Supreme Ct judge and some Appellate attorneys who steered me right.
I dropped names and 4"s of paper of paper on the Judge, telling him at one point, "Go ahead, we'll meet in Appeals" (I'm a dick).
The Prosecutor was some 65-year-old working for the town, I schooled him left and right, and the judge kept giving new bites at the apple.
If you showed up to court un-prepared what would the verdict be?
This went on 6 months.
They wanted a written experts statement and I quashed it. Twice they were supposed to have an expert witness show up, and I had the questions to kill him (my wife said I was going to jail) but he never came.
My lawyer friend told me the city would "never pay to have a witness show up for a ticket". He says it against the concept of tickets. It's collusion between the judge, city and cops to make money.
The prosecutor before court comes up to me and says "I'll let you off with supervision". I told him "show me your expert witness and I'll take that deal". He replied, "then what do you want?"
He explained that he didn't want the loss and that there was something called something where he didn't get the loss and my ticket goes away on a technicality.
Naperville, IL 0
LAO270 1