PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear says E90 ugliest car

Wingboot
02-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't get it. I know the E90 is not everyones "cup of tea", me included, but surely it can't be the ugliest new car like they say.

Top Gear either was expecting too much from BMW or they just have a biased viewpoint which borders on the irresponsible.

The only BMW's that seemed to be approved by Clarkson and the gang are the M6, M5 and M3. All others are for poncey (sp) people who don't know anything about cars.

Here is the link -
http://bimmervideos.com/viewVideo.php?vID=52.

x3Bruin
02-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Was it the guy who ate the yellow snow?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5096390531229048703&q=top+gear

HE ATE YELLOW SNOW...how can anyone consider his opinion seriously..

wwb4
02-17-2006, 09:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken they also said the Audi Q7 is a hideous beast. It's all relative....."everyone's" taste is gonna vary. At first I didn't like either the new E90 or E60, however both of which have grown on me more and more recently. At first I was only looking to replace my E39 540iA with a E39 M5, in a couple of months, because I didn't really like the new E60 body style, but after seeing the new E60 550i Sport with a Sport Package/M Pack bodykit coupled with a SMG transmission, I have since changed my opinion. I think that some cars just take "longer" than others to grow on you.

BmW745On19's
02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Top gear says lots of cars are ugly except for like hyper expensive cars.:rolleyes:

Wingboot
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Was it the guy who ate the yellow snow?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5096390531229048703&q=top+gear

HE ATE YELLOW SNOW...how can anyone consider take his opinion seriously..

It was Jeremy Clarkson and James May. Two of the three current front men on Top Gear. They are usually pretty close to my taste but to say that the E90 is THE ugliest car is just stupid. Surely, it is dissapointing, but not nearly the ugliest car. One need only to take a look at the French cars to find the ugliest.

wwb4
02-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Top gear says lots of cars are ugly except for like hyper expensive cars.:rolleyes:

Like the Aston Martin DB9......they loved that car.

SONET
02-17-2006, 10:00 PM
They also called it 'just 15 feet of... car' last season. Whether you agree with it or not, that's a pretty funny way to put it.

--SONET

Artslinger
02-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't call the e90 design ugly... the e90 is a busy/fussy design... or flame surfacing is what we called the early e90 designs when they first started showing up.

MMME30W
02-18-2006, 05:02 AM
Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot and an attention whore, this is another example of why.

The E90 rocks.

And wingboot, you are correct, "poncey" is the correct Brit-speak for upper class, wussified girly-men. :D

peakpro
02-18-2006, 05:26 AM
The e90 is not ugly....

but it is bland and bloated looking iIMHO....

just nothing to get excited about.

SteveinBelAir
02-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Clarkson doesn't seem to like too many German or American cars. With the latter he is justified because they really are rubbish although he does own a Ford GT. I never did understand his dislike for German cars although it makes for good TV. With apologies to our German friends here, the bit about the 130's Nav system only giving directions to Poland was quite funny IMO.

Along with 5th gear, it is the best motoring show on TV which is evidenced by the weekly veiwing stats which I read somewhere are over 300 million worldwide. According to anecdotal reports of chats with my UK friends, a new Top Gear season (they do one in the fall and one in May) is highly anticipated.

BTW, you can download all the shows from www.finalgear.com

x3Bruin
02-18-2006, 07:44 AM
The e90 is not ugly....

:dunno:

AzNMpower32
02-18-2006, 08:57 AM
The e90 isnt ugly persay, and it's the first BMW redesign I've been able to swallow. However, I still think the previous generation of BMWs were much better looking overall. The flame surfacing or whatever results in too many busy lines and makes the BMWs look like some geometry project gone bad. Plus, BMW needs some serious help designing the rear ends; not a single one has looked good with the possible exception of the facelift on the 7. Help from Acura anyone? (they make the best rear end designs IMO)

chuck92103
02-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I think the exterior of the E90 is fine. Not sure it is an improvement over the E46, but a nice car just the same.

My issue has always been with the interior dash design. If the BMW logo was not on the wheel, it could pass for a Buick. The E46 dash design was far better.

That same E90 design is in the 5, and 7 series. The 6 series escaped only a little scathed as will the E90 coupe.

However, these pet peaves would not prevent me from buying any of these cars.

obmd1
02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
You know... when I get in my fiancee e46 coming from my e90, it feels older... more driver oriented, somewhat more functional to be sure, but older...

I love the integration, and ease of use for things like the phone, stereo... the seats are WAY better IMO than the e46. Maybe I'm getting used to it, but if this is the direction the interior styling is going for BMW, I'm not going to complain. Can't keep the same thing forever. I do miss the window switches where they belong... it's too many steps to shift, lower a window and drive coming into a parking lot.

the e46 takes your breath from the outside... while the e90 only does it from certian angles... in the dark....kinda like that woman you'd like to have from a distance. You're gonna have her anyway, since the ride is nice and the e46 is not available.... she'll do... till the coupe is out:p

Jspeed
02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I wish the E90 was just an evolution of the E46, with the same clean lines, just wider and with more integrated bumpers. However, the E90 is FAR from the ugliest car. I only watch Top Gear for entertainment. For serious analysis from real drivers like Tiff I prefer Fifth Gear.

JayK330
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
As much as I enjoy Top Gear and think the hosts do a pretty good job, they're tastes are a bit far fetched sometimes. Clarkson really only likes one type of car, and that is any and every car made in Britain. Nothing less, nothing more. I mean the completely unreliable Astons and Jags he loves to death. Yes they're great to look at, but they're heavy and with Ford having an ownership over them......:jack:

andy_thomas
02-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Jeremy Clarkson is an idiot and an attention whore, this is another example of why.

That may be one way of describing him, but all of you have missed the point. Compared to the nightmare that is the Ssangyong Rodius or indeed anything else in Ssangyong's range, the 3er is obviously not ugly and everyone can see that. Clarkson's opinion is that BMW didn't seem to bother too much with the 3er's design, and that if anything it's worse than ugly - it's a "we just couldn't be bothered because you daft sods will all buy it anyway" car, and that was his point - 15ft of car with nothing to recommend it design-wise.

This charge could be levelled at a lot of low/mid-market fodder from Asian manufacturers, much of which is indistinguishable from a lot of other low/mid-market fodder from Asian manufacturers. But then those cars are cheap, and reliable. You don't expect it from a car with pricing as extreme* as the 3er. The car is not any kind of design milestone, inside or out.

* In the UK, BMW's recent pricing has been extremely high. The US pricing, or what you think of the car's value relative to what you pay, is irrelevant in this context

stylinexpat
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I love their show. They just get spoiled by all the nice cars that they get to drive around with. When we drive a E90 330i we look down on a Honda Civic..;) The E90 is not all that bad of a car compared to most cars on the road:thumbup:

andy_thomas
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
As much as I enjoy Top Gear and think the hosts do a pretty good job, they're tastes are a bit far fetched sometimes. Clarkson really only likes one type of car, and that is any and every car made in Britain.

Except for Rover - until recently, the UK's only domestic volume car manufacturer. He trashed them over and over.

markseven
02-18-2006, 11:03 AM

The E90 rocks.

And wingboot, you are correct, "poncey" is the correct Brit-speak for upper class, wussified girly-men. :D

:stupid:

1) Clarkson called the E46's looks "dumpy"

2) He's biased

3) He repeatedly mentions that England defeated the Germans in two wars

:rofl: :confused:

Otherwise, it's a good show

andy_thomas
02-18-2006, 11:08 AM

The E90 rocks.

:D

Funny, but the definition excludes all footballers, the great majority of whom are complete ponces. And they are all as relentlessly lower-class as they come :rofl:

SmoothCruise
02-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I love their show. They just get spoiled by all the nice cars that they get to drive around with. When we drive a E90 330i we look down on a Honda Civic..;) The E90 is not all that bad of a car compared to most cars on the road:thumbup:

This is probably the best reason why Top Gear crapped on the M6 and BMW models. When you're driving around in Pagani's, Ferrarri's, and Lambo's, a BMW probably feels like sh!t. The more amusing than Jeremy crapping on the e90 is how personally insulted people on this forum seem to be. I like how the e90 looks like, so what if Jeremy doesn't? Like, how cares?

My friends think my 6er looks like a piece of crap. I could see how they think that, but I like the looks, and I'm happy with it.

cwsqbm
02-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Clarkson doesn't seem to like too many German or American cars. With the latter he is justified because they really are rubbish although he does own a Ford GT.

I heard he got so feed up with it he got rid of it. Oddly, his complaints all centered around the aftermarket alarm system not working. He's an overpaid whiny celebrity, but that's what makes him so entertaining.

Honestly, I like the E46 better than the E90, but I like the E90 exterior styling-wise better than ANY other 4-door sedan being made today for sale in the U.S. What competition? From Japan, only the IS350 is close, but it is very bland from the side. VW and Audi I don't like, as for the current Saab's and Volvos. And lets not talk about U.S. manufactuers, when the 300C/Dodge Charger are the only styling ventures of note.

JayK330
02-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I heard he got so feed up with it he got rid of it. Oddly, his complaints all centered around the aftermarket alarm system not working. He's an overpaid whiny celebrity, but that's what makes him so entertaining.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1677058,00.html

The alarm came on the car, not sure it was aftermarket as he had to call Ford to deal with his problems. I can't blame him for complaining about these problems however. I'd be just as pissed off if I paid the amount of money, for a Ford especially, to just have problem after problem with something that seems like it would be so simple to correct.

Wingboot
02-19-2006, 12:06 PM
There was also a very significant problem with the front suspension. I don't know the details but I believe it made the car unsafe to drive until major components were changed. That is enough to sour anyone on a 30K car or a 130K car in my opinion.

I wonder if he still has one or has given it up.

SteveinBelAir
02-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Dunno what you guys are looking at. I think the E90 especially rolling on 18s is a work of art from every angle. I find myself going downstairs to the garage in the middle of the night and just standing there looking.

Clarkson is a TV celeb. He's a bit arrogant but he has the best show out there. I would be arrogant too. He can walk the walk - knows how to drive a car to its limit, and moved to the IOM simply out of principle, where there are no speed limits outside of Douglas and other small villages.

I think he has a couple of big AMGs. Good for him.

Plaz
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have a link to a Top Gear E90 segment?

tq2k
02-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Here's my order from "okay" to ugliest new 2006 BMW:

Okay - E66 - E90 - E64 - E60 - Ugly

LoveTAH
02-19-2006, 01:28 PM
If that pompous prick thinks the E90 is the 'ugliest' I have to wonder if he's seen letdowns like the Grand Prix/Mazda3 ripoff called the IS or the bloated nothingness and elongated nothingness of the M35/45 and GS300/430, respectively.

andy_thomas
02-19-2006, 02:13 PM
If that pompous prick thinks the E90 is the 'ugliest' I have to wonder if he's seen letdowns like the Grand Prix/Mazda3 ripoff called the IS or the bloated nothingness and elongated nothingness of the M35/45 and GS300/430, respectively.
Unlikely. The IS250 does not sell in sufficient numbers to be noticeable (although I did see a new one the other day - why did they bother with the rear doors?) and the M35/45 is a North America-only type of car. The GS300 got a good review in the last group test in the Top Gear magazine, which admittedly is not as extreme as ol' Motormouth.

bertbert2oo6
06-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Does anyone have a link to a Top Gear E90 segment?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=08G5-lw9Dzg&search=top%20gear%20e90

Plaz
06-14-2006, 05:06 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=08G5-lw9Dzg&search=top%20gear%20e90

Awesome. Thanks!

yafayu
06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
(1)Jeremy Clarkson doesn't like most German cars
(2)He said M6 is ugly
(3)He hates M5's iDrive..(many people hate it)
(4)He made more compliments on English cars than German cars...
(3)I love to watch TopGear but i don't like his taste, i'm more like James May and another short guy lol

DustyWheeler
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Since they try to make every episode some sort of comedy routine, I suppose you could just conclude that they're making some sort of comic attempt, and just treat it with the appropriate contempt.

I remember their Z4 test. During that, he said it was a huge improvement over the Z3, which he claimed was proof that if you hung a roundel on a dead cat, it would sell !.... I don't think he has too much respect for the tastes of BMW buyers.

Yep, entertaining program, but a road test is a road test. Looks are subjective. I'll make up my own mind, thanks.:p

xspeedy
06-15-2006, 08:08 AM
He called the new M coupe ugly in one of the last couple of episodes after Richard raved about the M convertible. We know he is biased when the e90 is viewed as uglier than:

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/7706036481524560.JPG?0.6671570394871691

HugH
06-15-2006, 11:27 AM
The e90 is not ugly....

I agree with your assesment 100%! Still getting one this October!

germanblood
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM

The E90 rocks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MG67
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I was over Mr Clarkson years ago, first he was funny but then just annoying...:thumbdwn: My reason for only watching Fifth Gear... much better...:thumbup:

xspeedy
06-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I was over Mr Clarkson years ago, first he was funny but then just annoying...:thumbdwn: My reason for only watching Fifth Gear... much better...:thumbup:

Jeremy is an oaf. James May is awesome though. :thumbup:

e46Christian
06-15-2006, 01:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken they also said the Audi Q7 is a hideous beast.

That's b/c it is. It's ungainly to say the least. The E90's not bad, but it's far from soul stirring.

WildKarrde
06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Actually I really don't like the E90 look either. I test drove one right after it made it to the dealerships (BMW sent me an invitation). It was a blast to drive... even without the sports suspension. But I don't like the way it looks nearly as well as I do the last generation.

marc545i
06-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Jeremy Clarkson's an idiot. He thinks the Aston Martin and Jaguar are the best cars on the planet.

RiDE
06-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Jeremy Clarkson's an idiot. He thinks the Aston Martin and Jaguar are the best cars on the planet.

Maybe because he's English? :dunno:

ThatOneGuy
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Their major criticism, and I agree, is that the E90 looks like 15' of car. That is to say generic. It doesn't have any of the 'I must have that' style of the E46. All of CB's designs are flaccid and boring, style for the sake of style. IMHO.

650iOzBoy
06-19-2006, 06:09 PM

JC said during the comparison of the new XK, 650i, SL350 that the 650i is ugly. I think he has said that many times about the new generation of BMW's. He is in show business interested in audience and rating numbers for his show. That's all.

RiDE
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't see how criticizing the current crop of BMWs would give them higher ratings when he could be clearly offending a chunk of their target audience, especially since BMWs seem to be more enthusiast oriented. Unless of course his audience shares in his opinion of Bangle's creations.

JG
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
JC said during the comparison of the new XK, 650i, SL350 that the 650i is ugly. I think he has said that many times about the new generation of BMW's. He is in show business interested in audience and rating numbers for his show. That's all.

He's British - what on earth would he know about design - taste - or dental plans............

Just joking......................

650iOzBoy
06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't see how criticizing the current crop of BMWs would give them higher ratings when he could be clearly offending a chunk of their target audience, especially since BMWs seem to be more enthusiast oriented. Unless of course his audience shares in his opinion of Bangle's creations.

How do you make an issue/work/topic widely known? Usually by controversy. JC knows BMW is popular. He can easily create a stir by saying the cars are ugly. Why does he say Aston's and Jagura's are so awesome? Because nobody buys them and because they are English in spirit. It's all a joke.

RiDE
06-19-2006, 09:51 PM
How do you make an issue/work/topic widely known? Usually by controversy. JC knows BMW is popular. He can easily create a stir by saying the cars are ugly. Why does he say Aston's and Jagura's are so awesome? Because nobody buys them and because they are English in spirit. It's all a joke.

Well maybe he actually does think they are ugly? I for one don't believe he is saying it just for the sake of ratings and whatnot. Additionally, I don't think there are many people out there who take JC's words as the gospel. The controversy about BMW's current styling was already there with or without Clarkson opening his mouth.

But to be honest, I would take an Aston Martin AMV8 over any 6, even an M6, any day. :angel:

650iOzBoy
06-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Well maybe he actually does think they are ugly? I for one don't believe he is saying it just for the sake of ratings and whatnot. Additionally, I don't think there are many people out there who take JC's words as the gospel. The controversy about BMW's current styling was already there with or without Clarkson opening his mouth.

But to be honest, I would take an Aston Martin AMV8 over any 6, even an M6, any day. :angel:

Controversy about BMW's styling. I don't care what JC really thinks. I still watch the shows for entertainment value because I do find it entertaining even if he bashes BMW's (and it is better than a lot of the other junk on TV). True there is a controversy. But BMW's sales are higher now than any of Jaguar, Aston, Ford ever hope in terms of profitability and growth. People vote with their wallets and cheque books. I certainly did. (The Astons are beautiful cars).

650iOzBoy
06-19-2006, 10:12 PM
By the way, JC's belief in BMW's ugliness will also please the unwashed plebians out there in his audience who can't afford them anyway too. ;)

ProRail
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM

Me, too...as long as i already had an M6 or some other Bimmer.

germanblood
06-20-2006, 05:35 PM
He's British - what on earth would he know about design - taste - or dental plans............

Just joking......................
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I feel the same way!

xspeedy
06-20-2006, 05:42 PM
He hates German cars but drives an SLK. Go figure. I guess he only likes British cars as long as they arnen't his.

germanblood
06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
An SLK- that's a woman's car! :rofl: Unless we're talking about the new AMG version.

650iOzBoy
06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
An SLK- that's a woman's car! :rofl: Unless we're talking about the new AMG version.

I think JC drives the SL55AMG (amongst other cars).

germanblood, I like your Avatar. Is that the evil Ming emperor? He is not as evil as The Emperor Palpatine. :)

RiDE
06-21-2006, 01:16 AM
He hates German cars but drives an SLK. Go figure. I guess he only likes British cars as long as they arnen't his.

Seeing as how he loved the new S-class, I don't think he hates German cars, I think he just hates BMWs styling of late. :dunno:

Chris90
06-21-2006, 05:08 AM
I can't believe you guys are trying to find excuses for why someone would say the new BMWs are ugly. Trust me, it's very simple, it's cause they're ugly.

avincent52
06-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Um, I watched the video and don't recall the Top Gear guys using the word "ugly" much less "ugliest."
(I'd agree with the former, but anyone who's seen a Subaru Tribeca can't assert the latter and mean it.)
But I thought the clip was quite smart, and kind of funny, way smarter than car shows on U.S. TV. The Mondeo man thing. The paradox of a bezillion people buying BMWs because they're exclusive.
And the action shots were better than footage you'll find in BMW promo videos.
best
Allen

xspeedy
06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
So this has turned into a Top Gear critique. My only complaint is that much of it is staged, "whilst" at times being presented as reality TV. I don't think all the oddball races they have have the competitors crossing paths at the exact same time or finishing within a couple of seconds of eachother.

The show is more about entertainment and less about car comparisons...

cwsqbm
06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
So this has turned into a Top Gear critique. My only complaint is that much of it is staged, "whilst" at times being presented as reality TV. I don't think all the oddball races they have have the competitors crossing paths at the exact same time or finishing within a couple of seconds of eachother.

The show is more about entertainment and less about car comparisons...

Not all the oddball races have been close. In train vs. DB9, Jeremy and the DB9 were in Monaco WAY ahead of the guys on the train. Definitely the show is about entertainment - what other use is there for placing a Toyota truck on a building that is being demolished?

DJ_INHALE
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I wish the E90 was just an evolution of the E46, with the same clean lines, just wider and with more integrated bumpers. However, the E90 is FAR from the ugliest car. I only watch Top Gear for entertainment. For serious analysis from real drivers like Tiff I prefer Fifth Gear.

SO do I !! Just like how the e36 went to the e46! Similar but change. Thats why I like jaguar, for example the older XJ8 look similar to the newer models just updated and improved.

Wingboot
06-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Um, I watched the video and don't recall the Top Gear guys using the word "ugly" much less "ugliest."
(I'd agree with the former, but anyone who's seen a Subaru Tribeca can't assert the latter and mean it.)
But I thought the clip was quite smart, and kind of funny, way smarter than car shows on U.S. TV. The Mondeo man thing. The paradox of a bezillion people buying BMWs because they're exclusive.
And the action shots were better than footage you'll find in BMW promo videos.
best
Allen

You are correct. JC didn't call it the "ugliest" in the video. It was in print where he said the E90 is the ugliest. I'll try to find the reference.

WildKarrde
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM

I thought I already posted in this thread... but I guess not. In all honesty, I think the new 3 series is ugly as well... at least the sedan version. I haven't seen the coupe or the convertible yet... I'm hoping they look better.

RiDE... the reason I quote you is... because I'm wondering what game that screen shot in your sig came from?

Wingboot
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
RiDE... the reason I quote you is... because I'm wondering what game that screen shot in your sig came from?

GT Legends

RiDE
06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
GT Legends

Yep. :thumbup:

It's a 3rd party skin though, modeled after this badboy... :bigpimp:

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/1820/1408209127914049640_rs.jpg